Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Credit card to pay for food

I looked in the FAQ’s, but my question wasn’t quite answered. We need to pay for the “all-inclusive” part of our stay once we arrive at the resort. Is it safe to use a credit card for this, or should we pay in cash? I would never use a credit card anywhere else.

If you mean that you have to pay the resort for this then I would say it’s OK.

I will use my credit card at my resort, with my Tour Operator and in an emergency - nowhere else.

Mi dos pesos.

I have used my credit card for that reason in the past. I just made sure I received all my copies and the “blue” pages of the credit card. One of my friends used his card when he was outside of his resort and when he got home and received his monthly statement it had almost tripled with all kinds of extras he never even bought. It took him months to get it straightened out. I guess what I’m saying is just be extremely careful with your card. Of course the same thing could happen in any city in North America not just the DR

I have used my CC in the DR in and off resorts, without problem! What you may wish to do is advise the CC company that you will be travelling abroad and mention the destination, and that way they can monitor it for you…it is in their best interests too. ( I did this once).
Happy travels.

We are able to book our stays at the IB*B direct thru our contacts at the resort. We pay with our credit card when we depart. We have never had any trouble what so ever.
Enjoy and Happy New Year.
Joe & Karen :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I agree with Joe and Karen, we have used credit cards and interact without any concerns or problems.

Have a great trip. ;D ;D ;D

I have a credit card with a $500.00 limit that I use when I travel south. It has a large enough balance in case of an emergency but low enough that it can’t do a whole lot of damage.

I use mine every time for many things and so far not a single problem.

Cheers Amandalou :-*

Thanks everyone. This is the first time we have not used a tour operator. I’m just trying to figure out the logistics of everything. We are staying for 4 nights, and I’m not even sure if they will charge us for 4 nights of the all-inclusive part, or 5 days. ::slight_smile: It works out to $30.00 p/p a day, so is it $240 or $300?

Have a great trip Rob and Stacy. We have booked directly for several years through the resort itself and unfortunately they have always charged us by the day not the night. However maybe your resort will be different and charge you for the night and not the “extra” day. :sunglasses: