Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cuba embargo?

We all know that embargo from USA side has been for so many years on Cuba since cold war. USA right now has many other problems in the world that they pretty much forgot about embargo on Cuba. USA had war in Korea and big problems with China because of that and war in Vietnam and now both China and Vietnam are friendly countries and they do big business with USA. Is it time that USA ends embargo with CUBA? Cuba trades with many other countries and import - export things but would lifting of USA embargo help situation in Cuba?

I took this photo not long time ago in Havana:

[attachment id=“306” thumbnail=“1”]

Most Cubans like Americans but hate their government. Cuba buys a lot of food from the USA.

It’s my belief that the Castro’s don’t want the embargo to end. That way they can blame all the shortages on the embargo.

Sugar, grown in Cuba, is 2 CUC’s per litre bag. That’s a lot more expensive than in England. Even the soft drinks, bottled in Cuba, are as expensive as they are in the UK.

and beer and rum are dirt cheap…you got to have some reason for living…
cheers.

A friend of mine grew up in Russia. She said once every Communistic country has to have something that unifies them … a cause for their shortcomings that is not of their making & this has a way of unifying people as they live with shortages and other economic issues. It has stayed with me her words… and maybe that is part of the reason as Bellagio says.

Having someone to blame is a favourite political tactic. You don’t have to look far to see it in our own country, provincially, federally, even in local politics. When something goes wrong, it is useful to be able to point the finger at someone else, either in blame or obfuscation. If you want to witness the tactic in action, just attend question period! :wink:

[quote=@bellagio]It’s my belief that the Castro’s don’t want the embargo to end. That way they can blame all the shortages on the embargo.
[/quote]

Does it mean that US is not smart enough by still having embargo in place? If they remove it situation in Cuba would drastically change?

[quote=@crabby1]and beer and rum are dirt cheap…you got to have some reason for living…
cheers.[/quote]

Cigarettes, coffee, fruits, no private beaches, chocolate, avocados, art etc is very affordable and cheap