Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cuba: food

Suggestions of acceptable food to mail down to Cuba?
Any help would be appreciated.
Countrygal

Wow, I might be incorrect but I wouldn’t bet on food that is being mailed down to someone actually getting to them. If you have someone inparticular in mind you would be better off finding someone to take food to them…

Just a warning about food.

When we landed in Cayo Coco two weeks ago, the security check on entering found a ham & cheese sandwich and an apple in my backpack that we had not finished, and they were conficated and we were told NO FOOD ALLOWED.

Be warned

Two Jugs

I would also agree it would probably not make it to your intended person.

Forget about mailing food. Crazy expensive and as mentioned above it’ll never make it to its destination.

twojugs: Open food isn’t allowed into Cuba, but anything that’s sealed in a package or canned is fine.

I sent a small package of spices and gravy mixes and they arrived intact. All my small airmail 250 gm packages have arrive safely (Holguin)

sending anything by mail is hit and miss. I had tried 5 years ago with small parcel . Didn’t go where I wanted. Just letters even opened should make it you’d think. - money. We can only try. I will take closed packets of food this winter.Any help is all good.

[quote=@countrygal]Suggestions of acceptable food to mail down to Cuba?
Any help would be appreciated.
Countrygal[/quote]

My suggestion to you, Countrygal, is to book a trip to Cuba… and bring items down with you :-*
I heard that dry soup packages are quite a good item to bring along… quite light to carry :smiley:
Do you have any plans to go to Cuba in the near future???
GG ;D

Hey there Gardengal,
I know bringing down the food would probably make the most sence… ;D
I’m working on it!! :wink:
CG

[quote=@countrygal]Hey there Gardengal, I’m working on it!! :wink:
CG[/quote]

:-* :-* :-*

Hey CountryGal,
I know this is a Cuba forum, but the Samana area in DR is another area you could consider, too. :wink:

Really?
I’ve never been… :’(
When are you going? :wink:
CG

Thank you all for your help in this, :smiley:
I think we’ll try a small package with dried foods and such and see if it arrives safely to it’s destination,
Countrygal

[quote=@countrygal]When are you going? :wink:
[/quote]

I’ll pm you, OK?
GG :slight_smile:

Countrygal,

I sent my package of spices cumin, garlic, and gravy mixes by airmail and it arrived in about 6 weeks. I kept the package small (250 gm) so it costs about $7.85 to mail in a Canada Post plastic mailing envelope. I marked on the outside “kitchen items”. Having luck with that, I tried a larger package by surface mail as it is cheaper than air but it took nearly 3 months to arrive. I think it helps to keep the package small and uninteresting. Too much detail on the package invites curiosity about the contents. So far I have had 100% with my packages, but maybe it is because the mailman didn’t need anything that I was sending. Good luck if you try it but don’t spend too much as the odds are against it arriving.

Will be at Arenas Blancas in Nov.- Is the food as bad as I have read in reviews ? Anyone been there lately ? Any info on resort would be great

Will be at Arenas Blancas in Nov.- Is the food as bad as I have read in reviews ? Anyone been there lately ? Any info on resort would be great

Not just to Cuba. A friend once tried sending a packet of bijol from the US to me in the UK. It never arrived.