Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cuba has meteorite too?

The reports say they had a big meteorite too but not as large as the one in Russia.
http://news.yahoo.com/cuba-too-reports-powerful-meteorite-explosion-192049893.html

It’s really not all that remarkable. Apparently this happened on Tuesday, and would probably have gone unreported if it hadn’t been for all the attention that the one over Russia attracted.
There are several small meteors that burn up in the earth’s atmosphere every day, and generally go completely unnoticed, unless they are near a large center of population.
As an example, several years ago, I saw a meteor burn up in the sky east of Calgary while I was on my way home from work one evening. I watched all the news reports on TV, and listened to the radio for several days afterward, but didn’t hear a thing about it. As I say, these things hardly ever get noticed, unless there is something to draw attention to them.

[quote=@dax]The reports say they had a big meteorite too but not as large as the one in Russia.
http://news.yahoo.com/cuba-too-reports-powerful-meteorite-explosion-192049893.html[/quote]

They were called ‘falling stars’ back in the day, not at all uncommon in QC or ON. ;D

"Have traveled to:North America;all 4 countries including all 50 US states"
Hey Dave … What is your definition of North America?

I’m not sure what Dave is including, but there are the three obvious ones, Canada, USA, Mexico. The fourth one could be St Pierre & Miquelon? Or maybe Greenland?
Actually, North America technically includes Central America, and the Caribbean, so it consists of 23 independent nations, plus a number of dependencies and provinces or departments of various European nations.

I go with the three obvious or the 23 plus. Perhaps the 4th is Quebec! Jeje

Since this is turning into a pi**ing match, the only way I can have a chance of winning if I count the number of countries that I haven’t been to that I WANT to go to.
Argentina to drink really good, cheap wine in Mendoza but then, it’s ten bucks here so why pay $$ to go there to save six bucks :-/
Chile to see Manchu Picchu but I know my wife could not do the long trek for the good tour :’(
Bhutan because they have the happiness index but then, I’d probably fail it. ::slight_smile:

No offense dax, but Machu Picchu is in Peru.

Oops, sorry. Knew that. I don’t want to go there now. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

Wish you’d change your mind!

We visited Machu Picchu in 1983 and it was spectacular. I’d love to go again or certainly before the place is totally ruined by too much tourism or a meteorite.

[quote=@radar]"Have traveled to:North America;all 4 countries including all 50 US states"
Hey Dave … What is your definition of North America?[/quote]

Obviously Greenland, Canada, United States of America & Mexico.

Didn’t realize Bermuda was not considered of the Caribbean & the French owned islands are insignificant.

I did list CA & the Caribbean separately.

Argentina … I bet meteorites have been there.
Just to stay on topic. LOL

And Bermuda is far from the Caribbean, as is Varadero, CSM, Cayo Coco and Holguin.
All those are Atlantic Ocean beaches but they’re not warm like Caribbean waters. LOL
The Caribbean does enter the Gulf of Mexico, mixes with the oil spills and fertilizer-dead zones before being pushed past the Florida Keys towards Atlantic Canada and on to England.
There have been lots of meteors in the Gulf. Anybody remember the Dinosaur family that lived down the street?