Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cuba prices

Rumor has it Cuba is going to raise it’s prices for AI resorts. Would you continue to go to Cuba if other vacation spots in the Caribbean were cheaper. If the prices do go higher would you expect a better quality holiday than in the past.
Even at the present some prices in other Caribbean spots are looking pretty close. We have only been to Cuba so we cannot compare. Is it true some of the other countries provide a better quality holiday and if so why you would return to Cuba? For us we simply fell in love with Cuba on the first visit and have been many times since. The two resorts that stick out for us is the Tuxpan in Varadero and the Brisas Guardalavca. I just can’t imagine going anywhere else but as the prices equal out it makes me wonder if it might be worth taking a gamble.

[quote=@ratwalto]Rumor has it Cuba is going to raise it’s prices for AI resorts.
[/quote]

Could you please let us know where you heard the rumour? Thanks.

We are always ready to change. Have been through all the islands, Central America and the northern South America. If Cuba’s prices go to high, we have two choices. Continue going where we feel at home (CUBA), or try a different location - especially if Cuba decides to over price the trips. I haven’t heard or read the report of the increase; so I’m not sure if Cuba’s intent is to raise surcharges, or AI prices. As it stands right now, Cuba is good for the low ‘tax’ rate. But with the other islands, ‘tax rates’ are usually about $200 larger. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I really liked South America and I would consider it in a minute if we got a good price. I really like Cuba but if I can get South America destinations for the same price; I think I would pick SA for a new experience. Thanks for posting this Ratwalto. Let’s see what happens.

[quote=@madrugada][quote=@ratwalto]Rumor has it Cuba is going to raise it’s prices for AI resorts.
[/quote]Could you please let us know where you heard the rumour? Thanks.[/quote]It was second hand but it was heard on a radio station in Montreal. I personally took it with a grain of salt. Wait and see for me. However even a the present some prices in other Caribbean countries are getting pretty comparable I have never seen Cuba so high at least from Toronto. Maybe we have had it too good for too long. The good old days taxes in for two under a thousand. Sigh.

The loonie has been in a steady decline since July 2013 so it’s no wonder that prices increase in countries basing their currency on the greenback! Don’t look for an improvement any time soon. :’(

Actually, Mexico is our #1 choice usually, just because my husband is a tri-twit and has discovered Ironman races. Cuba so far doesn’t have one, but Mexico has at least two that I know of.

I’d really like for him to realize that he can go on vacation WITHOUT competing in a 13 hour race, as I’d love to get my kids to Cuba before the Americans get in (not necessarily American-bashing, it’s just such a strange experience to be there and compare it with the VERY Americanized Riviera Maya)

At the moment I do not think that prices could go up much only amount that compensate for weak Canadian dollar. Once USA travelers are able to travel to Cuba I guess there will not be enough accommodations so prices will most probably go up but we will have to wait more for such a thing to happen. Anyway still lots of time left for us to visit Cuba so lets do it while we can :slight_smile:

[quote=@monctonguy]

So if prices in Cuba go up, they will be up everywhere else as well.[/quote]

Not necessarily! I think it depends on where you are flying from.

Some parts of Canada have enjoyed good to great deals for Cuba while other parts of Canada - the west coast for example- have see price increases and really wacky flight times for the past several years. There are several destinations that are substantially less expensive for us these days.

It’s hard to say. Right now, the prices to DR for instance, are roughly even with Cuba depending on where you go. However, the taxes show between $400-500 for DR. My upcoming trip to Cuba, I paid $180 tax. So, the price for Cuba would have to increase quite a bit. Factor in the extra time for flight and the fact that, IMHO, DR is not as distinct and welcoming, as Cuba, I’d still go to Cuba. Now, once Cuba opens up to USA legal travel and the landscape starts changing to muliple high rises, I would then consider traveling elsewhere. For me, the price would have to be substantially reduced to make me want to travel elsewhere.

^^Depends who you book with, GefM. I’m booked to Varadero with Sunwing, and my taxes were $315

I’m booked Varadero with Westjet and my taxes are $85.00. It’s apples and oranges to try and separate flight and taxes between locations/airlines. I don’t even look at the two separately, just the total.

You are right total should be looked at as some companies lower taxes but have more expensive flights/all inclusive accommodations so total should price should be compared and most of the time total price is very similar to all of them.

[quote=@yvrck][quote=@monctonguy]So if prices in Cuba go up, they will be up everywhere else as well.[/quote]Not necessarily! I think it depends on where you are flying from.

Some parts of Canada have enjoyed good to great deals for Cuba while other parts of Canada - the west coast for example- have see price increases and really wacky flight times for the past several years. There are several destinations that are substantially less expensive for us these days.
[/quote]WOW you’re not kidding! just did a quick check for Thurs departure for 1 week YVR-HAV on Air Crappy charter $1728 taxes in

Same week YVR-HNL on United $1078 CAD taxes in

It’s a nobrainer! forget Cuba - hello Hawaii :sunglasses:

Or for around $700+ El Salvador SEA-SAL, have to cross over to Seattle to get a good deal though

Always exceptions to the rules of course. If you look hard and far enough you’ll always find something different or that you could argue the norm.

But as a rule, when prices go up with one company or to one area south, chances are they will go up elsewhere. When gas goes up in one area of Canada, chances are it will go up all across Canada. May not be the same amount or as quickly, but its all relative.

Again, please keep in mind that the OP’s comments where hearsay from someone else, so this whole thread is assuming and hypotheizing.

Well monctonguy: it was posted prior on TA and the OP said it came from a news broadcast on CJAD radio in Montreal. I haven’t look it up. But if OP on TA couldn’t produce a link, why would you think it was an assumption? Please realize I’m not picking on you; and I hope I don’t have the ‘herd mentality’ that seems to go around. I’m sure that some IT guy will tell us how to find the original broadcast and will tell us how to find the audio and hopefully some verification of the facts.

I would still be interested in anyone that could share their thoughts on other Caribbean destinations. Since Cuba is the only place i have been I cannot compare. What makes somewhere else better. Most times the bumps in the road in Cuba can be solved by a smile and a kind word although it might not happen right away. I don’t mind a little challenge it makes the victory that much more sweet. As for the prices nobody will know that till it happens but right now at least out of toronto they are higher than I have ever seen.

[quote=@monctonguy]

Again, please keep in mind that the OP’s comments where hearsay from someone else, so this whole thread is assuming and hypotheizing.[/quote]Well that may well be or not. ???

However there are some FACTS: the CUC IS pegged to the US dollar = FACT

[font color=“1b181b”]From July 2013 - Feb 2014 my OAS deposits to my US account have decreased exactly $40US [font color=“1b1a1a”]= [font color=“ec11f5”]FACT[/font][/font]

This means that prices for Canadians travelling to Cuba MUST increase = [font color=“f511f5”]FACT

[font color=“f511f5”][font color=“0e0d0e”]I have also shown that from YVR one can travel to EL [font color=“0e0d0e”]Salvador for less than 1/2 the cost of Havana [font color=“141314”]= [/font][/font]FACT

Also that the[font color=“1a171a”] cost of travelling YVR to Honolulu is significantly lower than Ha[font color=“1a171a”]vana = [font color=“fd0dfd”]FACT

[font color=“1a191a”]To summarize there have been many [font color=“fa15fa”]FACTS [font color=“131213”]stated in this thread! P-)[/font]
[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

Not sure if I’m the best person to answer this as I travel out of Vancouver and our prices are higher than from Toronto or Montreal with fewer destinations available so hopefully others will chime in.

We’ve been to the Dominican Republic - both Punta Cana & Puerto Plata- and didn’t enjoy it as much as Cuba simply because we are beach people and hated the constant stream of beach vendors. The motorized water sports were annoying, noisy and polluting- to the point of us getting a headache from the fuel fumes. We won’t be going back to DR any time soon. Price for us was lower than going to Cuba which is why we tried DR in the first place.

We’ve also enjoyed several vacations in the Mayan Riviera area of Mexico. We favour smaller, 3 star, low key resorts. We were not disappointed and in fact I would say that the Mexican 3 star resorts we’ve stayed at offered better food, equal service and nicer accommodations than our favourite Cuban 3 stars. We also liked being able to explore off resort more easily by using cheap public transportation. We’ve always felt safe but I know many people avoid Mexico citing safety concerns. We’ve never had a problem. Although you specifically asked about the Caribbean side, I also very much like the Pacific coast of Mexico our last trip being to San Jose del Cabo (Los Cabos). Again, for us the prices to Mexican destinations were lower or equal to Cuba but we felt we got a lot more for our vacation $$ in Mexico.

Another place we enjoy is Costa Rica for the eco-tourism opportunities although if all you want is a week of loafing at an all-inclusive, Costa Rica fits the bill. Again, food & accommodations were superior to Cuba, service was good without the constant need for tipping/gifts, no shrugging of shoulders with the “Es Cuba” mantra as things were done more professionally. Panama is similar.

We are not fussy about Jamaica and don’t feel completely safe off the resort which puts a damper on our exploring. Many people do however enjoy Jamaica, so they would be better positioned to give you advice on this destination. For us, Jamaica was more expensive than Cuba and less enjoyable.

We have visited several other Caribbean islands but not on an all-inclusive basis. I don’t want to compare apples to oranges at this point except to say these vacations were more expensive that an average one week 4 star all-inclusive resort in Cuba. Despite the extra cost, these vacations were much more rewarding for us, so sometimes it’s not just all about the $$$

Hope that helps a bit but ultimately only you can decide what you want to get out of your vacation time and what that is worth to you dollar wise. Variety is the spice of life so at least one vacation outside of Cuba is a must. Either you’ll begin to see what you’ve been missing or it will cement your love affair for all things Cuba.

I prefer Cuba over the Dominican Republic for the same reason as YVRck. DR is too noisy, busy and ‘in your face’ for me.
I’ve been to better beaches and nicer accommodations but for a cheap one week getaway it is Cuba, hands down for me.

I have also shown that from YVR one can travel to EL [font color=“0e0d0e”]Salvador for less than 1/2 the cost of Havana [font color=“141314”]= [/font][/font][font color=“f510f5”]FACT

If you have never been to El Salvador…jump on this one. Loved, loved, loved the country! So much to see and do!!