Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Cuban Resorts - Hiring Staff

When I was at the Melia Marina Varadero I asked the General Manger how they hired their staff and this is what he told me.
 1.The staff had to come from a tourist school.
 2. Each had to pass a major background check.
 3. The resort management does an interview had has the choice to hire.
 Note : Some of the staff were from other resorts. The Captain of the buffet restaurant said to me " I remember you from your visit to the Super Club "
 That was my first visit to Cuba -March 1993 !!!

Helps also to have palanca (leverage) or have management friends at hotel where applying. A school principal friend of mine recently got her daughter work at one of the Varadero hotels, the daughter speaks some English and was allowed to do the tourist school course concurrently with her new employment.

Yes, good connections go a long way in Cuba. As in Canada, it’s often who you know not what you know that gets your foot in the door.

I do recall hearing many years ago that some resort employees had “bought” their jobs.

[quote=@yvrck]
I do recall hearing many years ago that some resort employees had “bought” their jobs.[/quote]

Hi YVRck, haven’t heard that directly from a hotel worker but haven’t asked either. Wouldn’t surprise me that it happens for some jobs including hotel work at some resorts, but likely isn’t a common practice or numerous complaints about this would show up from Miami sources, on discussion forums, etc.

This was a brand new resort with a manager from France.

Resorts where I’ve stayed generally have a European manager. Staff hiring abuses happen at a local mid-management level when they occur.

[quote=@yvrck]I do recall hearing many years ago that some resort employees had “bought” their jobs.
[/quote]I honestly don’t know a single resort worker (without connections) who hasn’t had to buy into their job one way or the other. Late last year English qualification was still going for 1,500 CUC, same as it has cost for quite some time now.

My experience is Varadero and Havana only.

Cheers,
Terry

The bartenders and maids in the eastern provinces may “buy” their job, but I highly doubt that any of the gardeners or maintenance people do so, certainly not the people I know.

I’m not sure I’ve seen any job on a resort that doesn’t pay many times more than the “average” wage.
I think that connections and cash dictate who gets what jobs and where.

Maintenance guys have access to the rooms so have the opportunity to negotiate with you for some of your things, iPods/etc. Almost all other workers other than maids get reported if seen in a room.
Gardeners at a busy resort can park themselves on a busy walkway and “sell” flowers/crickets/hats/sand sculptures to the tune of 25CUC/day and more.
Beach guys work hard, but there are a lot of happy guests when chairs are carried to palapas.

Dishwashers in the kitchens may be the poorest bunch, but that may be their “entry level” position to be in line for a future bartender/waiter job.
Front Desk staff probably get far fewer tips but are in line for management openings and do well on referrals?
Just my dos centavos.

“Gardeners at a busy resort can park themselves on a busy walkway and “sell” flowers/crickets/hats/sand sculptures to the tune of 25CUC/day and more.”

I saw this for the first time in April at the MCC in Cayo Coco. I saw the gardener arrive with a large blue bag filled with hats and then proceeded to “set up his display” on his wheelbarrow, before starting his “work” for the day. One tourist told me they paid him $12 CUCs for a hat and another $5 CUCs for a bird. Hey, these guys are giving the bartenders some serious competition.

Haven’t seen this in Holguin yet, but it’s just a matter of time. :wink:

Read more: http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/thread/21259/cuban-resorts-hiring-staff#ixzz352jw70XZ

Buying to get a job is common in third world countries. A bartender makes 100cuc and more including the tip , the supervisor makes 40cuc base salary. Do you think the supervisor stupid, he wants his share!!!