Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

CUC's confiscated on departure

There is much talk on another forum about CUC’s being confiscated on departure.
The story highlighted is about CYO, Cayo Largo airport, and departing tourists losing their CUC’s.
The 2 year old regulations don’t allow any CUC’s to be exported but few have been asked up to now.
This is a good warning.
We can take 2000 CUP with us, legally, when leaving Cuba and may well want to do that so we have some tip money when we go back.
For tipping, a 50 CUP note is the same as 2 CUC, a 20 CUP is less than 1 CUC.

Problem is most tourists will not have access to CUP’s as you can’t buy them at the majority of resort or airport Cadecas.

Personally I can’t see much point in taking CUP’s out of the country, because if you need a taxi when you land I would doubt the drivers would accept CUP’s.

The cab drivers can’t exchange 50 CUP for 2 CUC, easily?

I think this is likely to be a non issue (unless you are one of the unlucky ones). Likely a short lived effort in only some locations, and if you are discreet I doubt taking a few CUCs home is going to present a problem. They are hardly going to search through everyone’s luggage looking for them. Just tuck them in a pocket or into your checked luggage amidst some dirty kleenex and I doubt anyone will notice or care…

I usually come back with under 20CUC tops.

I have never been asked if I am taking any money out of the country. If they decide to put this into the force that we should fill up some papers that we don’t take money outside of the country the same way we fill up the form that we are not bringing too much money inside the country. Most people do not know that they are not supposed to have CUC with them as they leave plus they have free shops where if they want to sell food and drinks at the bar … cigars and rum in the free shop they can not enforce people taking CUC outside of the country. It is easy to spend $200 or more if you buying Cigars in free shop.

Wow… I’ve never left Cuba with less than 50CUC (start-up money for the next trip).

I had No Idea that I wasn’t supposed to take it home?

Heck, I’ve even bought some off other tourists, who were going to convert theirs… Saved us both money on the exchange

The regulation has been in force for a while now:

‘It is not allowed to export the called peso convertible (CUC), in any denomination and quantity’.

On second thought, do tourists have permission to export any Cuban money?

Personally I think not because I have just re read the regulations and they clearly state:

[b]Cuban and foreign citizens permanently resident in Cuba can export and import amounts not exceeding two thousand Cuban pesos (CUP 2000) in cash and any denomination.

It is not allowed to export the called peso convertible (CUC), in any denomination and quantity
[/b]

Even in the case of CUP’s we are tourists and not foreign citizens permanently resident in Cuba.

I like coming back with a few CUCs- I know I just have to go back to spend them :wink:
It’s usually under 20 CUC - enough for a beer or two on the bus incase we don’t get to exchange at the airport

[quote=@cb13]I like coming back with a few CUCs- I know I just have to go back to spend them :wink:
It’s usually under 20 CUC - enough for a beer or two on the bus incase we don’t get to exchange at the airport [/quote]

Exactly it is always nice to have a few CUCs in the pocket … beer change and for the tips as I arrive to CUBA. I have never hear that someone was searched for exporting CUC outside of CUBA. I think free shop and bars at the airport would go out of the business if they do not allow people to have money to buy in those stores while they waiting 2 hours or more for their flight back home.