Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Day trip to Sosua - questions

me and my fiance are planning a 1/2 day trip to Sosua (from BlueBay in Playa Dorada). We are doing this on our own without a tour company.

I am curious if anyone knows how much a taxi would be from the resort? Should we arrange for them to meet us at a arranged place & time to go back, or should we just find another taxi in Sosua when we want to come back?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to be let out of the cab?? we are looking for a central area… we would like to get somewhere to buy some rum… and some stuff to bring home for family.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places/stores to hit??

I was looking at this map.( http://www.condossosua.com/images/sosuamap_3.jpg )

Thanks in advance!
4 more sleeps!!!

Jennie

[quote=@jenniesvacay]me and my fiance are planning a 1/2 day trip to Sosua (from BlueBay in Playa Dorada). We are doing this on our own without a tour company.

I am curious if anyone knows how much a taxi would be from the resort? The rates are posted outside the Plaza. Maybe $35. If you want cheaper, walk outside the main gates and there should be taxis there. Or, just tell the drivers at the Plaza you’re going to do it, and they may deal with you.
Should we arrange for them to meet us at a arranged place & time to go back, or should we just find another taxi in Sosua when we want to come back? Either way works. It may be cheaper to get a round-trip from Playa Dorada. pay when you get back to your hotel.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to be let out of the cab?? we are looking for a central area… we would like to get somewhere to buy some rum… and some stuff to bring home for family. The corner of Pedro Clisante and Dr. Rosen is pretty central.
Does anyone have any suggestions on places/stores to hit??

I was looking at this map.( http://www.condossosua.com/images/sosuamap_3.jpg )

Thanks in advance!
4 more sleeps!!!

Jennie[/quote]

When you are in for a little more adventure, walk outside the complex and take the bus to Sosua. Cost 25.00 pesos one way.

Personally I would never get a taxi at the resort. I would rather have my taxi fare actually go to the driver and not to the resort or to Playa Dorado. Get a taxi, public car or gua gua out the gates at the main road. If you get a taxi on the main road get a round trip as he will pick you up at a predetermined time and place. Agree on a price round trip of no more than 800 pesos.

There is a good store in Sosua called “Super Super Liquor”. Prices are good.

Thanks everyone for their responses!

Am i right here? A taxi, would be a car ride with just us. A public car, would be a car ride with as many people as can fit going to the same location/route, and a bus is well, a bus :slight_smile:

I dont mind being adventurous, but we can’t speak spanish very well! We have been trying to learn some stuff, but theres just not enough time. Would drivers of buses, public cars or taxis know enough english to arrange travel? (sorry this may seem like a silly question!)

Thanks for everyones help… i appreciate it, and it helps being prepared! :slight_smile:

Jennie

If the car (public) is empty offer the driver 300 pesos to take you “directo”. (No stops)

Most taxi drivers know some English but generally speaking a public car driver or bus driver will not.

We don’t speak spanish either and have used the gua gua’s to go to Sosua many times. They understand the word Sosua just fine! LOL We usually paid 2-3.00 US for two of us. Don’t mind paying a bit extra anyways as it is still very cheap.

we did this exact trip last year but our poor communication skills caused confusion and embarsement when it came time to pay. However it was only a few more dollars, I remember we expected $25 and he wanted $30 for all 5 of us one way, so I didn’t complain! Safety in numbers, meet a few friends at your resort and travel in a group. Taxis are everywhere and they all have some english knowledge. Your group will be offered a “free” tour of the shops and beach of Sosua by a seemly just being friendly local, these fellows are expecting payment when your tour is completed. $10-$20, is sometimes worth it just to act as a body guard from the hords of vendors. You will have fun. The water is warmer than Playa Dorata.

If you take the gua gua across the street from the main gate to Playa Dorada, it will cost you 30 pesos or $1US, each way. The gua gua is like a run down Toyota van and you pay when you exit the bus. Ask the driver to let you off at the Playa. Cross the street, go down the steps and you will find yourself at the Huge Sosua Fleamarket on Sosua Beach. On the main street where you will be let off, there’s a supermarket, close to the Texaco, where you can buy rum and coffee, and a lot of Dominican food, a lot cheaper than at the Fleamarket. To get back, just stand on the side of the street and a vehicle will stop to pick you up. We usually take the gua gua to go to Sosua and take a public car for 300 pesos for the two of us. I’m also sending you a private message with pictures and maps of the area.

we have taken taxis from playa dorado on many occaisons, like everything else in the DR negoatiate. If you dont like the price start walking towards the main gate…I have gone as far as the main gate and have had the same driver agree to our price…$25.00 US approxit return after about 6 hours…

does anyone have pictures of gua gua or the taxis so we know the difference between the two? Many thanks

linric

The taxis look …well, like taxis. The gua guas are 10 passenger mini vans. Small 10 passenger mini vans.

10 passenger mini-vans that accomodate 25 or more. You can often tell a gua-gua from a privately owned mini van by the duct tape holding the windshield together.