Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Debit Cards/Interac

I am just curious… I know you can use your credit cards in the DR, but I havent heard anything about Debit cards (like paying my interac)? I had assumed that you would be able to, but I realized that maybe this is not the case!

The only time I would think we would need to use it is when we go to Sosua for the day and we wanted to buy some rum and stuff… would I be able to use my debit card, or should I have enough cash on me? (I am always leary of carrying cash on me when travelling!)

Thanks!
Jennie

Depends on the card, I had issues in South Carolina with my Presidents choice card. Also beware bank machines will likely only spit out peso’s!

pj.

[quote=@jenniesvacay]I am just curious… I know you can use your credit cards in the DR, but I havent heard anything about Debit cards (like paying my interac)? I had assumed that you would be able to, but I realized that maybe this is not the case!

The only time I would think we would need to use it is when we go to Sosua for the day and we wanted to buy some rum and stuff… would I be able to use my debit card, or should I have enough cash on me? (I am always leary of carrying cash on me when travelling!)

Thanks!
Jennie[/quote]

I have used my debit card in the DR on a few occasions without a problem. Be advised though, that some banks charge a ‘hefty’ service charge in addition to the usual service fee. Contact your bank directly and inquire about these fees before you use your card.

Also, this goes without saying, you will ONLY get Dominican Pesos at the ATM, so don’t expect US Dollars or CDN Dollars, or Euros…

The amount of cash you are going to have to carry in order to buy “some rum and stuff” is not going to be a large amount. It’s not like you are going to be carrying 100’s of dollars. It’s more like $20-$50. Put it in a secure spot and you shouldn’t have any issues.

Debit Cards/Interac do work.

Be also very aware that if the ATM eats your card, which some ATM’s do, you will have to contact your bank ASAP.
Getting your card back could present a problem.

Carry small amounts of cash.

I live here, so I can tell you that this country is a 90% cash economy. Just bring US dollars and change them with the money changers, make sure you get a rate of no less than 34.00, banks will fluctuate between 34.25 - 34.85, but the best bank rate is at Santa Cruz Bank in Sosua. I carry between 15,000 - 20,000 pesos on me at all times with no problems, no one is going to rob you, so don’t listen to the “fear stories”. Just don’t flash the cash around. And if you want the best deals on rum, don’t go to the tourist shopps, go to the local grocery stores or little markets where everything is much cheaper. Most restaurants will take credit cards, but don’t expect any touristy gift shops to take credit cards or debit cards, its cash all the way. Hope this helps.

We heartily agree with reidco. When ever we go to stay in Sosua, we take only a little American cash with us and then use our debit cards at the bank ATM’s to pick up what cash we need. You do much better for yourself shopping with DR peso’s than with American cash. You won’t always get such a great exchange rate with all the little shops or bars you go to.