Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Dentists?

I’ve been reading about dental tourism in Central America…has anyone here had any dental work done in Panama? If so, was the experience good or bad?

nope never heard a thing…but please do let us know what you find out.

heres a link I found about it…

http://www.pana-health.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=62

and the costs associated…

http://www.pana-health.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=42

and a customers story…

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20050928171437155

and finally if you wish to retire in Panama! ;D

http://www.businesspanama.com/tourism/retire_live.php

Thanks Waterloo! Those were the only relevant links I could find, too. Seems to be a much bigger business (or at least more promoted) in Costa Rica and Mexico. I will just use anything as an excuse for a trip, eh?

Looks like there are a lot of retirement perks in Panama.

[quote author=jcb board=Panama thread=1146592590 post=1146669888]Thanks Waterloo! Those were the only relevant links I could find, too. Seems to be a much bigger business (or at least more promoted) in Costa Rica and Mexico. I will just use anything as an excuse for a trip, eh?

Looks like there are a lot of retirement perks in Panama.

[/quote]

No doubt about that…and I am seriosuly considering it…

C[i]onsidered to be the best retirement program in the world, the Panama Pensionado program offers retirees excellent incentives including

* Import tax exemption for household goods
* Tax exemption to import a new car every two years
* 25% discounts on utility bills
* 25% discount on airline tickets and 30% on other transportation
* 15% discount on loans made in your name
* 1% reduction on home mortgages for homes used for personal residence
* 20% discount on doctor's bills 15% on hospital services if no insurance applies
* 15% off dental and eye exams
* 10% discount on medicines
* 20% discount on bills for professional and technical services
* 50% discount on entrance to movie theaters, cultural and sporting events
* 50% discount at hotels during Monday to Thursday, 30% on weekends

There are many more discounted items than we have space to list here. Once you have qualified as a Panamanian resident with a pensionado visa you qualify for these benefits.

Click here to view all general requirements to qualify for a pensionado visa are listed on However, the main requirement is proof of a minimum income of $500 per month plus an additional $100 for each dependent. This program is not age related provided you have a pension. Foreign residents of Panama, regardless of the type of visa they obtain, who are over the age of 55 years for a woman and 60 years for a man, are entitled to most of the retiree incentives listed above with the exception of the importation of tax free cars.
The minimum wage for housemaids or gardeners is 88 cents per hour. Local beer at the supermarket costs 30 cents per can, a coffee in a restaurant may be as little as 30 cents.[/i]

Waterloo, have you looked at any real estate there? The condos in Panama City looked expensive but some of the lots outside the city are sure pretty.

No I havent looked at any …yet…
We are planning a trip this summer for two weeks, where I just might start poking my nose around a bit deeper.

I have a few more yeasrs to work before I start thinking about exactly where I will plunk my rear down upon retirement. But they sure do have some appealing offers, and outside Panama City itself the properties look very appealing.

Let us know if you go for the dental visits.

I couldn’t resist getting into this thread. Verrrry interesting!!! I didn’t realize there were many perks for retiring in Panama. Something to look into over the next while, and maybe on our next trip there, WHICH I JUST BOOKED YESTERDAY FOR 2 WEEKS IN JULY. I’m going to research those links above too. Just like you Waterloo Traveller, I’ve still got a few years to go before I can think of retiring, but it’s something to start considering.
Lovesun