Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Disposable Lighters

Joanne and I (Paul) are smokers. We use disposable lighters, and we are wondering if anyone has had problems at security, either with their carry-on, or in their luggage.

If you could let us know it would be appreciated. We would leave from Toronto, Canada.

Many thanks!

When we went last July My husband had a cigarette lighter in his pockets and they took it from him. My daughter also had one and they didn’t bother her(go figure) I think that it is best to put the lighters in your luggage with all the changes they have put in place.

Well… We had lighters in a sock -in a shoe in the checked luggage—and still taken out.

Better to leave them at home and buy a new one when you get there.

Never had a problem regarding lighters. I have had them in my carryon as well as checked luggage. Bought one in the DR (a Ronson) and it was like a fekkin blow torch, and that was 10 months ago or so. Only now is it acting normally! No problem bringing it back either, but that was last year.

I think Canada is a little more lenient than the US. Both my husband and myself had one each last year, in our carry-on. No problem. On September 23rd hubby flew to the Arctic Circle, via Munich (total 3 flights) with a disposable in his briefcase. He returned on September 28th (total 4 flights, starting 27th) and still didn’t have a problem.

All these trips originated and ended in Toronto. I would take one each anyway, you may arrive with 2 or 1 (like missingsosua) or they may take both, but you can buy one at the airport when you arrive, if you have to.

If you’re going through security in the US you will be lucky if you get through with a lighter on your person or in a carry on bag. I usually pack one or 2 in my checked luggage and have never had a problem.

Canada permits one Bic style personal use lighter in your carry-on unless you are being pre-cleared for the US - never in your checked baggage (although that’s where ours always make it through). Don’t count on this to be allowed on the return, however, when the DR inspectors confiscate at will.

Actual verbiage
"One lighter intended for personal use and not containing unabsorbed liquid fuel (e.g. Bic type) when carried in the person’s plastic bag, except at PBS checkpoints where US pre-clearance is in place"

Full context may be found at:

www.catsa.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.shtml#list

Gregg

Travel in the US we are not to have lighters period But I continue to pack one in checked baggage and it’s 50/50 whether or not it comes through. Does any one know the cost of Marlboro’s on the local market? Are they cheap or should I bring my own? ???

They’ve always nailed me with a lighter in my pocket. I stick my lighter in a half-filled cigarette package, and haven’t lost one since.

Oddly enough, I even didn’t lose a lighter flying home from LAX recently on a business trip via this method. AND I had the dreaded “SSSS” on my boarding pass and got the full security treatment.

D.R. lighters scare me. Like mommacat, one I purchased down there was a flamethrower, so be advised that if they do take your lighter on the way down, the cheap disposable lighters there do not seem to have the same quality control standards built into them. I do not need a 5" flame to light a cigarette! (lighter set on low)

[quote author=commthor board=general thread=1159827527 post=1159940682]
D.R. lighters scare me. Like mommacat, one I purchased down there was a flamethrower, so be advised that if they do take your lighter on the way down, the cheap disposable lighters there do not seem to have the same quality control standards built into them. I do not need a 5" flame to light a cigarette! (lighter set on low)[/quote]
We have some friends that winter over in the DR. They also complained about the lighters that you buy down there. They’re pretty lousy.

Don’t count on seeing your lighters, I fly weekly and since the last scare, security is taking them away in Canada, matches are OK, but put your lighter in checked baggage.

It’s kind of hard to plead ignorance when their website clearly states that lighters are not allowed in checked luggage. I find the statement about lighters in the carry on kind of confusing, perhaps because of the double negative in the wording. I’ve asked for a clarification and I’ll post the response when received.

Response From CATSA
= = = = = = = = = = =

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your October 4, 2006, e-mail in which you inquire about cigarette lighters.

At this time, only one Bic type lighter is permitted in a passenger’s carry-on baggage. Given the current restrictions on the transport of liquids, gels and aerosols, these items (including lighters) are subject to a quantity limit of 90 mL or 90 g (3 oz.) and must be placed in a clear, re-sealable and closed plastic bag with a capacity of no more than 1 litre (1 quart). Only one such bag is permitted per passenger.

That said, please note that lighters are prohibited in a passenger’s carry-on baggage if they are travelling to the United States at airports having U.S. pre-clearance facilities (e.g. Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Vancouver, etc…).

No lighters of any kind are permitted in a passenger’s checked baggage.

Thank you for your inquiry.

CATSA Client Relations

Thank you all for your valuable information. What we are going to do is take 2 lighters. Both will be in zip lock bags. One in carry on and the other in our luggage.

You can expect a reply to this when we return. You won’t know what happened until after October 22nd.

Thanks again!

You each have a carry on. That’s two lighters …

That’s true Bob!