Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Diving in Cayo Santa Maria (dive shop contact info

Cayo Santa Maria for a weeks holiday (last week of March). Frustrating to go south and the boat only went out once all week. pictures to follow

Posting this information for Scuba divers that need to contact the only dive shop in CSM.

The dive shop is not located on the resort. the only way to get there is by scooter ( rental) or bus pick-up organised by the dive shop.

Marina Santa Maria
Phone: 350013 ext 15 / or 350113 ext15.
Dive master(2)
Geanny or Eddiel.

I went to CSM to dive for a fortnight a few years back now and I experienced the same problems. The DM’s were lazy and just couldn’t be bothered to go diving, any excuse not to put the boat out…really frustrating >:(

Look forward to seeing your pictures :slight_smile:

[quote=@wossa1]I went to CSM to dive for a fortnight a few years back now and I experienced the same problems. The DM’s were lazy and just couldn’t be bothered to go diving, any excuse not to put the boat out…really frustrating >:(

Look forward to seeing your pictures :)[/quote]

Totally agree very frustrating. Everymorning I’d call the dive shop and say lets go diving and they would give the excuse that it was too windy. Finally on the Friday… Five full days after getting there, they decided to go out…it was just as windy as the previous 4 days. Ya ! pretty sure I won’t be going back to that part of Cuba in the future. I must say though that it was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been and the water is so beautiful…

I posted my pictures and quickly removed them as when I posted them I noticed that if one clicked on the picture it brought the viewer right to my full Photobucket account with all my other albums and pictures. I am not willing to share everyting :stuck_out_tongue:
any idea what url or Img code I can use so that it’s only the picture showing??? I thought it was the IMG code but that didn’t work.

That was the same excuse they made to me that it was too windy, either that or the compressor had broken and they couldn’t fill any cylinders. It was sometimes windy but the sea was never that rough, I’ve spent years wreck diving in the Irish Sea and had been out in a lot worse.

I think if people have travelled to locations around the world to go diving, then the local DM’s should be able to dive in their own conditions and they should provide dives…I thought it was the worst run diving operation anywhere in the world I have ever dived.

Going onto your photos, post the pics, then you should be able to then sign out of your account and then that will only give access to your album to which you have posted the link too and nothing else…I think !

Agreed! GRRRRRRRR. the loss of revenue is what gets me … It’s Cuba no reason for that It’s not like they don’t need the $$$

On to the photos … I’ll post a few and then log out and see what happens… thanks

I decided to delete all the pictures until I can figure out how to post without a direct link to my personal Photobucket account…sorry!

I decided to delete all the pictures until I can figure out how to post without a direct link to my personal Photobucket account…sorry!

Wossa or eeeefarm… what type of fish is this… couldn’t identify find him in my Coral reef book.

Geanny was the DM who kept telling us NO it’s too windy… Not very good people skills…

does this look too windy to go diving ???

Great pictures mate, really nice variation on subject, and you have done well to get a good white balance as the colours look bright and clear…you have got to grips with your camera quickly. Thanks for taking the time to post, always good too see your images.

(Just from a personal point of view only, not keen on the date stamp on underwater images, but that’s just me).

[quote=@wossa1]Great pictures mate, really nice variation on subject, and you have done well to get a good white balance as the colours look bright and clear…you have got to grips with your camera quickly. Thanks for taking the time to post, always good too see your images.

(Just from a personal point of view only, not keen on the date stamp on underwater images, but that’s just me).[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment Warren. I used the manual white balance on my new Olympus TG1. I dive with a very small white slate board to capture my white balance. Learning with every dive. I tried on several occasions to take a picture face to face of a fish… Not an easy task… you somehow are able to do it… I guess with practice and thousands of shots I’ll finally get one… but for now it’s just makes my diving that much more exciting. my next level would be to master my micro feature. any tips ?

That’s the challenge of underwater photography, marine animals are usually very shy and reluctant to pose, plus we are trying to operate in an alien environment with ever increasing equipment so it is tricky. To get face on images, a lot of the success of that is in the approach to the subject and understanding and learning its behaviour. The more you dive with what you are trying to photograph, you quickly learn how the subject reacts to you and how close you can get without frightening it off. Even if you do frighten it off, you will find it will return back to same part of the reef as this is its home and territory.

I’m off to Guadalope in July to dive and photograph Great Whites, so at the moment I’m reading lots of field guides about this shark regarding its approach behaviour and its profile. Take away the media hype and you are left with a very shy, complex animal, so learning as much as I can about Great Whites will hopefully help me get better images.

I have only just got in to Macro photography. Many macro subjects like nudibranchs are slow moving so are easy to photograph and make good practice subjects. Just keep practicing and more you dive and take your camera and the more success you will have. Most of my pics still end up in the trash can of my computer.

[quote=@wossa1]That’s the challenge of underwater photography, marine animals are usually very shy and reluctant to pose, plus we are trying to operate in an alien environment with ever increasing equipment so it is tricky. To get face on images, a lot of the success of that is in the approach to the subject and understanding and learning its behaviour. The more you dive with what you are trying to photograph, you quickly learn how the subject reacts to you and how close you can get without frightening it off. Even if you do frighten it off, you will find it will return back to same part of the reef as this is its home and territory.

I’m off to Guadalope in July to dive and photograph Great Whites, so at the moment I’m reading lots of field guides about this shark regarding its approach behaviour and its profile. Take away the media hype and you are left with a very shy, complex animal, so learning as much as I can about Great Whites will hopefully help me get better images.

I have only just got in to Macro photography. Many macro subjects like nudibranchs are slow moving so are easy to photograph and make good practice subjects. Just keep practicing and more you dive and take your camera and the more success you will have. Most of my pics still end up in the trash can of my computer.[/quote]

Man diving with Great Whites…Will you be in a cage of some kind?? can’t wait to see the pictures… Dive safe and thanks for the macro tip… Practice practice… indeed!

This is a Hogfish. However this is a juvenile which is in its mottled phase so that is why it may not be pictured in your ID book. Nice capture :)[/quote]

Thanks found it in my book: yes the mature color is on the beige side vs indan red of a juvenile… thanks Wossa

Done :slight_smile:

You can use the image code to post the picture. Make the album private and then it’s only the picture that people can see. They could “back door” into your account if your other albums are public, but not if they are private. :slight_smile:

Thanks… I think I tried that and it linked anyway… I’ll try it a little later when I get home from work and hockey

thanks again.