Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Do you connect with people about or in Cuba via social media

Facebook seems to be a social media that allows for connecting with Cubans that have internet connection and also a way to connect, like this forum, with fellow Cuban travellers.

Do you use Facebook for information gathering or connection with Cubans?

Yes I do … I have 17000 people on my Facebook account for forum Cuba and as soon as FB release Debbie’s account I will try to connect more people to that Facebook page as well. Lots of Cubans that are connected to my facebook live outside of Cuba but there is big number who live in Cuba as well.

Not a big fan of social media. Too intrusive for my liking.

I’m with you on that one, YVRck. I believe FB is on its way out precisely for that reason.

Facebook will definitely fade out and reason is privacy issues but next new thing will be Google G+ until something else come.

I, for one, steer well clear of Facebook. Many people keep asking me to join but I just won’t and never will. I’m just not interested in it, I spend far too much time on the internet as it is without adding another website to post on,

I have occasionally looked at a resort facebook page, but I don’t post on them. I do have a facebook account so that I can keep in touch with a couple of friends who are remiss about sending email, but I never post on my own page and it is so locked down there are only 3 or 4 people who can access it anyhow. :smiley: Ditto twitter. Have an account but never tweet. I think the younger generation have been conditioned to believe telling the world all about themselves is the only way they can validate their existence. Sad.

I have a Fascistbook account but only use it for fun and keeping in touch with friends and people I have met during my travels, would never rely on info there for research on trip planning.

Opened a twitter account when it 1st came out, blah, wouldn’t remember how to access it now.

I am extremely cautious about Facebook, and do not use it to communicate with friends/colleagues in Cuba. They have been cautioned by their bosses not to use Facebook due to privacy/confidentiality issues. I have nothing on my FB page, no time-line or anything else.
Despite many security notices to be cautious about posting personal info on-line (including FB & travel forums) it still astounds me how many people post info about what flight they will be on, dates of travel, credit card company, cell-phone company, vehicle information, etc.     Identity fraud anyone? >:(

I do use facebook and only because it is a method to chat with my Cuban friends at very little cost (if any)to them. It is social with NO real information…other that it is far too cold here and they bait me with it is sunny and +30 degrees here I use to chat via Yahoo messenger to them but that no longer seems to be an option for them.

It does surprise me on open formats how often people do share security related data.

I finally was able to save Debbie’s Facebook account and today I got everything sorted out. I had to go through many tests and to send many documents to them as I really wanted to save that account so that I can invite more people to join us here.

Just because it doesn’t interest me, I know that lots of people are into Facebook so thanks for making the Facebook page another part of the “new” Debbie’s family. That’s dedication!

Bet we’ll see some more former members come back to the forums. Break out the welcome mats! :slight_smile:

Facebook seems like waste of time, I joined once but quickly dopped out. As other have said, it’s too intrusive and I can’t for the life of me, understand why people would want to put so much personal information out there.

It’s even advisable to be cautious on forums such as this about giving too much away. Not everyone who follows these forums are sane.

[quote=@sssnakesalive]Facebook seems like waste of time, I joined once but quickly dopped out. As other have said, it’s too intrusive and I can’t for the life of me, understand why people would want to put so much personal information out there.

It’s even advisable to be cautious on forums such as this about giving too much away. Not everyone who follows these forums are sane.[/quote]

You are right but if you have smart phone and you using it privacy is in problem right there. Yes sounds like movie but we are traceable any application can get lots of private info from us and the worst thing that we gave them permission to do so. Check this out http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/csec-used-airport-wi-fi-to-track-canadian-travellers-edward-snowden-documents-1.2517881

It is a tool …IMHO. You use it as you can. I 100% agree that many use it with absolutely no regard to what they are posting …the cute snaps or the baby in the tub kind of photo. …and while should be okay, not all users are ‘okay’ and once out there there is no way of taking it back 100%. The minimal use I use it works for me. It is a way to connect with a few Cuba friends at minimal cost, so for that it is an excellent tool for us