Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Do you have strange habits like me

Hah, made you look ;D

We got our stack of US dollars today and the stack is more than 2" high, doesn’t sound like a lot but it is (get out a ruler). Sooooo, I decided to “iron” some of the more crumbled & creased ones, yeah I know, wierd ::slight_smile: but trying to get the stack down in size too. :wink: Sure.

Anyway, as I was going through all the bills I came to notice how old, ratty and thin a lot of the one dollar bills were. My gosh, how long does the US keep their bills in circulation? Seriously, some are so paper thin they would tear just taking them out of your wallet.

My original intention was to ask if anyone did the same as me with the US dollars… that being, putting the crappier bills on top and getting rid of those bills first?

Come on, fess up, I won’t tell :wink:

Debbie & Tim, I would do that too as it’s pretty tacky to be wandering around with tattered money in my purse or pocket. Shudder! One wonders where its been. Don’t even want to go there.

Okay now I don’t feel so bad. I too iron all the wrinkled bills and I also put them in order in my wallet so all the ones are on top and higher bills are on the bottom.

Debbie - Talk about Hot cash off the Press lol

I have never ironed money but I have ironed silk paper to make it look new.

When I buy US money at the bank I just don’t accept older money or with writing on it.

Wasn’t there a thread a few years ago about American money with writing on it being refused in the DR?? or maybe I read that on DR1.

Yes there is a thread somewhere about “defaced” money, dont’ know if it’s true though.

Some of the money we received is seriously paper thin and even the dude face on the bills are worn down, that’s why I wondered how long they keep their bills in circulation.

I was made to believe that when I got the denominations I asked for that I should be so lucky as to even get them.

I know in Cuba they will not accept any bill that is torn, written on or in bad shape. I once had a $50 USD bill at the bank at Cayo Largo Cuba airport and they would not take it because of the little tear.

Hula, am not so sure that is exclusive to Cuba… I have had that happen up here at stores in Ontario…where they wouldnt accept any defaced or written on US bills. I have even had it happen once, that the bank wasnt too keen on taking it…

Guess it depends on the person and the place and time… Thanks why when we travel, I order my US money couple weeks before we leave, and ask for new bills only… Never had a problem at the bank asking for it, and that solves the problem when you go to spend it.

From The Federal Reserve Bank of New York:
http://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/fedpoint/fed01.html

Denomination
of Bill:

Life
Expectancy
(Years)
$1 1.8
$5 1.3
$10 1.5
$20 2
$50 4.6
$100 7.4

Wish I had more of 'em.
Ratty or not… :wink:

[b]Cuba no longer accepts american currency…[Last Updated: Monday, November 8, 2004 | 8:14 AM ET
CBC News
As of midnight Sunday, the U.S. dollar becomes “currency non grata” in Cuba.

Hard to believe. The almighty (albeit weak) US dollar non grata in Cuba. Maybe the only paper keeping that island above water. Oh well. :-X

If one irons the money …is that in any way similar to money laundering?? (lol) joking folks
We were once informed that if local money (Dominican pesos) was defaced (written on) it was considered non legal tender.
We were at our friends home in the middle of nowhere at a gathering. Supplies dwindled so we trekked to local kiosk type tienda to replenish.
We are well aware of local prices & tourist gouging. When attempting to pay we sensed that the terribly overinflated pricing(owing perhaps to our supposed naievity) was apparent and without question we paid outrageous bill with so called non tender monies. It was willingly accepted.
Was that a bad thing or the victim dupping the perpertrator?

The Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC) is one of two currencies used in Cuba. The Cuban Peso (CUP) is the other Cuban currency to be used by Cubans in Cuba. The Convertible Peso is the “Tourist Dollar”, because it is intended as a US Dollar replacement for Tourists. The value of the CUC pegged to the US Dollar. When converting US Dollars to Cuban Convertible Pesos, Cuba charges an additional 10% bank fee that is not applied to other exchanges. All payments must be made with pesos convertible (CUC). While in Cuba, you can easily exchange Euros, Canadian dollars, British pounds or Swiss francs for CUC. There is no fee for Canadian dollars, Euros, Swiss Francs, or British pounds.
Currency exchange desks are set up in airports near the luggage carousel and the lines are long.

Wud, believe me they still take the USD where ever in Cuba ,they just charge a fee for doing so.

i think it is10%

When converting US Dollars to Cuban Convertible Pesos, Cuba charges an additional 10% bank fee that is not applied to other exchanges.

[/quote]
That is what Wud said…

My brother just returned from Cuba and he could not spend a US$ anywhere, he had to go back to the Varadero airport to exchange for CUC’s to play golf.

This is a DR forum so this is really off topic.

But it is in the off topic forum…

EDinNB

Wud no one can spend any foreign currency in Cuba which is why they have the CUC. Tourists are only allowed to use the CUC, however the banks will exchange any currency from any country to CUC for no charge with the exception of the US dollar for which they charge the 10% surcharge.

Wud it would not have mattered what currency your brother was trying to use to play golf, it would not have been accepted unless it was CUC.

On our first two trips to Cuba the US dollar was widely accepted, in fact was the preferred currency, anywhere on the island. In fact they used to have stores that priced in US dollars only, they no longer exist. A couple of years ago when Bush decided to tighten some of the rules pertaining to the embargo, Castro gave him the finger and wiped out the use of the US dollar in Cuba by applying the surcharge.

If you were one of the lucky people who bought US dollars last year when the loonie was trading @$1.10, it would be worth your while to exchange the US dollar for CUC’s because even with the surcharge you would come out ahead of exchanging the loonie.

[quote=@hlywud]My brother just returned from Cuba and he could not spend a US$ anywhere, he had to go back to the Varadero airport to exchange for CUC’s to play golf.

This is a DR forum so this is really off topic.[/quote]

Yeah, you’re right, I wasn’t asking about Cuban money.
I was looking for answers regarding US dollars to be used in the D.R. :slight_smile:

Siegs, thanks for the info, that was what I was looking for. Now I’m concerned that I have a lot of US dollars for the D.R. that won’t be good enough. That’s also why I asked if anyone also put’s their “crappier” bills on top to get rid of them first. :sunglasses:

when i collect a few us$ $1 bills etc i take all the crappy bills and deposit them into the bank (us acct.) and withdrawl them just before we leave and we usually (always) get fresh new bills. i havent had a problem yet with writting on bills (i do hate seeing the find willy ones her that are circulating). i work at a famous coffee shop and see about 8-10 bills a day with them defaced by the find willy i send em back to the bank where they are destroyed but still turn up in circulation.