Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Dolphin World or Manati Island

Any comments on these?

Others have more information than I do, but I don’t think either are recommended for their mistreatment of the animals. Maniti Park, for sure, is horrible, but I thought Dolphin World was just an off-shoot of that. Same owners. Same mistreatment of the dolphins.

OK, I guess it’s time for a Dolphin primer for the DR…

Punta Cana

• Manati Park, the original dolphin facility in this area; terrible reputation and under no circumstances recommended, at least by me.
  • Dolphin Island, instead of fixing the problems at Manati Park the owners built a new facility in the ocean BUT use the same dolphins as the aforementioned Manati Park. Under no circumstances recommended, at least by me.

Puerto Plata

• Ocean World, an excellent new facility in Cofresi outside of Puerto Plata, animals are exceptionally well cared for, have lots and lots of room and are not over worked. Highly recommended, IMHO. www.oceanworldadventurepark.com

Website
There is a website called Dolphin World, they are not associated with any particular dolphin facility but sell entrances to many facilities. The one they sell for in the DR is Ocean World, no matter what they lead you to believe the facility is called.

Gregg

people might be interested in looking at this site about mistreatment of dolphins

http://www.marineconnection.org/news/general/captivity_DR_Dolphin_Island_Park_fined_for_dolphin_imports.htm

My daughter took our grandkids to Manati, against my recommendation and she was appalled at what she saw there.

You will find no such petitions against Ocean World in Cofresi, which is a first class facility and has even had live dolphin births in their huge salt water lagoon.

Fireguy and Hlywud are sooo correct in what they say about the two hoorible places in the DR. Also what they say about Ocean World is also true. I truly excellent place to go to

Thank you to all who have responded…what a shame. :-/ We will be at Sirenis Tropical suites in Punta cana…I would believe going to Puerta Plata is not even an option considering how much $$ I have already spent on this trip…just wanted an exciting, yet close to resort adventure for my kids. Cathy

Let me introduce myself. I’m Chopped Liver ::slight_smile:

Soccermom, that sucks, for sure. But glad you asked the question before you got there and then regretted supporting their horrible venture. Their bad reputation is no secret but they manage to stay in business. It can only be because it isn’t widely known enough.

So I am assuming cofresi or whatever Wud said is in Puerta Plata??? Here is a silly question…any chance when swimming in ocean I will encounter a dolphin?? I know when I fell off the caterman 5 years ago and almost drowned I prayed one would come by and save my life…it never happened but helped keep me sane I think :stuck_out_tongue: or maybe the fact I was in shock did that…not sure about that one!!

Confresi is on that coast, yes.

I’m not a marine biologist, but I don’t think dolphins in the wild come in that close to shore. I’ve certainly never heard of anyone seeing one while swimming – only when boating way, way off shore.

[quote=@remote]Confresi is on that coast, yes.

I’m not a marine biologist, but I don’t think dolphins in the wild come in that close to shore. I’ve certainly never heard of anyone seeing one while swimming – only when boating way, way off shore.[/quote]
Let me introduce myself I’ Pear Shaped and you will not find these wonderful creatures anywhere near the shore. You can ask Mike the Fisherman about this and I’m sure he will tell you that you have to be quite far out at sea to see them if indeed you see them at all’ Just please don’t go to the two previously mentioned sites.

Thanks to all, especially chopped liver and pear shaped ::slight_smile: I have decided we will save some $$ and not do any excursions…more time to relax and tan and eat and drink!!! If I go to Puerta plata I will look into their dolphin swim with the good reputation!! :sunglasses:
thanks again!! much appreciated. Now I will go spend the money I saved on more clothes for myself…or rather probably for my kids. :wink: