Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Dominican currency

Does anyone know where I can find info on CURRENT dominican currency. I have TONS of it left from a vaca about 10 years ago. I was hoping I could use it on my trip in March…Didnt want to have to use it for fire kindling - LOL!!!

I would go to my bank if I couldn’t find any info about it, but Im sure gregg or any of the other guests who know more about this than I do will help you out if they can. Don’t worry, someone will help.
Cin

The rate was $1US = $31.75RD pesos today in Sosua.

Ten years ago it was probably worth three times that (or more).

A few years back they took all their peso’s out of circulation and issued new currency notes. The old was honored for awhile if in good condition, they stopped taking frayed and worn notes. I would check at a bank that handles foreign exchange. Gregg is correct it would have been at least 60 peso’s to the dollar then.

[quote author=hlywud board=general thread=1129070312 post=1129086199]Gregg is correct it would have been at least 60 peso’s to the dollar then.[/quote]I think Greg means that it was more like 10 or less to the dollar.

I think it was around 15 when I went the first time around 4 years ago.

[quote author=karenny board=general thread=1129070312 post=1129070312]Does anyone know where I can find info on CURRENT dominican currency. I have TONS of it left from a vaca about 10 years ago. I was hoping I could use it on my trip in March…Didnt want to have to use it for fire kindling - LOL!!!

[/quote]I remember a couple of years ago they had a time limit on using old currency and they were refusing notes that were marked up.

I would think they are worthless except as souvenirs.

[b]I certainly remember the period when they refused marked up bills but I don’t recall them refusing money that was old; just marked up and torn. Of course I reserve the right to misremember anything - LOL.

Gregg
Mod.[/b]

[quote author=gregg board=general thread=1129070312 post=1129081414]The rate was $1US = $31.75RD pesos today in Sosua.

Ten years ago it was probably worth three times that (or more).[/quote]

The exchange rate for January 1995 was 13.597 Pesos to the dollar. The rate for January 1996 was at 13.775 to the dollar.

Regards,
PJT

Thanks PJT, for the update, I remember getting 55+ peso’s to the dollar. What year, I can’t really say.

I seem to recall that it was about December 2003.

I don’t recall experiencing the actual cut-off date but I do remember being told that it was coming at the end of the month or the next month.