Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

DR affected by the spreading of mosquito in the Carribean?

Does anyone heard anything about mosquito spreading in the Carribean and that DR may be affected?

There is no spreading of misquotes in the Caribbean. It is the tropics and there have always been misquotes here, they are nothing new.
There are some blood borne illness that are spread by the nasty buggers so it is advised to always use repellant (25% DEET). Resorts all spray for them as well. We just got back from 4 days at Lifestyles and did not see one misquotes.

bobk

Never heard of a “problem” with this. Yes, they are around. But to be honest, I have had more bites in one summer here in Canada, than all my trips south over the years so…

I would agree with you. This Sunday I got at least 15 mosquito bites in Canada and usually I would have same number in Dominican Republic but during 7 days.

Right now we do have an issue! The mosquito that carries Dengue is the same one now carrying Chikungunya. It is spreading here and many many other islands. The government is taking steps to slow the progress.

It causes about a 7 day illness, fever, body pain, headache, nausea and vomiting and in about 35% of cases a rash (not itchy but bothersome)

The good news is that unlike dengue it is not fatal. It will cause complication in the very old or very young, and possibly those with compromised immune systems.

Treatment is lots of fluids and acetaminophen every 6 hours. Thats it, you have to ride it out. Its not fun but it won’t kill you.

All of this is FIRST HAND info, I had it 3 weeks ago.

and by the way it is mostly effecting the areas around Santo Domingo so far.

[quote=@planner]Right now we do have an issue! The mosquito that carries Dengue is the same one now carrying Chikungunya. It is spreading here and many many other islands. The government is taking steps to slow the progress.

It causes about a 7 day illness, fever, body pain, headache, nausea and vomiting and in about 35% of cases a rash (not itchy but bothersome)

The good news is that unlike dengue it is not fatal. It will cause complication in the very old or very young, and possibly those with compromised immune systems.

Treatment is lots of fluids and acetaminophen every 6 hours. Thats it, you have to ride it out. Its not fun but it won’t kill you.

All of this is FIRST HAND info, I had it 3 weeks ago. [/quote]

Thank you very much for the update and information from the first hand. So I guess everyone should travel with acetaminophen in their travel suitcases. So as you mentioned it mostly effecting the areas around Santo Domingo while others areas such as Punta Cana and Puerto Plata in hotels they spray against mosquitoes more often and pay more attention!?

All resorts in all the tourist areas spray for mosquitoes. There have been a few reported cases here in the Puerto Plata area, none however on the resorts …yet.

Use repellent with at least 25% DEET especially at night and evening, and you should do fine.

bobk

It’s mosquito season here in NB, Canada. I have more mosquitos on one screen window than I saw in a whole week in Puerto Plata. LOL

Lots of information here for Mosquito enthusiasts:
http://www.mosquito.org/mosquito-info

Yup…lots of mosquitos here in NB this summer. I am sure the wet spring helped, not to mention the fact that the bats are almost extinct here in NB now as well. So it’s going to be a “buggy” summer for sure here.