Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

DREAM Project opens "Pre-school" in Batey

Hola good posters, and lurkers of DDT!

I am very pleased, and proud to announce this morning, that the DREAM Project has just opened a new "Pre-school" in the Carraballo Batey.

This will provide the children of this area with the required "pre-school" teachings to get them on their educational road.

It is a very proud day, and an amazing accomplishment both for the Dream Project, you GREAT posters, and lurkers who contribute, and more importantly, for the children of the Batey, who will now have a fighting chance at an education.

Pictures will be posted as soon as they become available.

Cheers
Jimmy

It Feels Great To Donate!

Scoobster,

Are there any opportunities for ESL teachers? I’d like to work in the DR and this sounds like a wonderful place to start.

All the best =),
j.

I am checking into right now, and will notify you as soon as I receive any details!

Cheers
Jimmy

Where is Carraballo, Jimmy?

Tom

[quote author=OttawaTom link=board=general&thread=1112179406&start=3#0 date=1112234070]Where is Carraballo, Jimmy?

Tom[/quote]

Tom

Getting the information currently, and will post as soon as I have it here.

Thanks for the question!

Cheers
Jimmy

Just received this letter from Tricia at the DREAM Project, and wish to pass it along to all of you.

We open our preschool at the Batey, we said we would limit to 10 kids on M-W and 10 on T-Th . We have 14 each day instead.
There was one little girl with no hair, I thought it was shaved from lice. It was not, she pulled it all
out. It is a way to relieve her stress. Her mother just abandoned her and her 6 sisters, she has no father. I let her little sister in as well, so we have gone a bit over in numbers.
Tati is working, yes 7year old Tati, with them now one day a week as a teachers aid.
There was a kid today Suz Suz (pronounced swa swa) he is the oldest in the program and by all rights is to old for our pre school, but he has no shoes and he can not go to the public school. Man he was to much fun, he had his
head right in the Peace corp volunteers face who was reading the book.
They have never seen books!
Funny part was the PBJs yes we are adding some of our American culture.
One little girl cried all morning after snack she wanted rice and beans and the sandwich really freaked her out. Everyone else woof them down with their milk.
They have new toothbrushes and each a little cubby box and back pack.
They are learning to wash their hands and sing, head shoulders knees and toes. In English, Spanish and Kreaol. Half of them do not have shoes.
It is amazing, it has been the most gratify week of this job and I am jealous that Sarah, and not I get to go back out tomorrow.
I will get you pictures soon, sorry for being out of touch we have been so busy and my back is still very bad.

Tricia

PS: We are going to need to find more funding there are about 20 kids more I want to get into the school by September and right now Peanut butter cost more than teachers!!!

So for all of you good people who will be travelling to the POP area, please, SHOES in children sizes 0 - 4 can be used desperatley for this mission.

Thanking you in advance for your time, and cooperation.

Cheers
Jimmy

An updated list of items required for the Batey "Pre-School" children, from tricia Suriel, director of the DREAM Project;

Thanks and we are counting on you guys.

We need;

1~ big tubs of peanut butter
2~ Monetary donations toward teachers’ salary.
$200 dollars per will pay for the salary of the 3 teachers who are working out in the batey and $80
dollars will pay for food, first aid, and individual clothing needs
3. Medium and large size legos
4. PlayDoe
5. Although they are heavy… Lots of blocks

Thanks so much for everything you do!
Tricia

Cheers
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

I have got for you:

5 x Peanut Butter, mix of smooth & Chunky!
7 x Sandels, size ranging 4 - 7 (UK Sizes)
5 x Gym Pumps, sizes 5 - 7 (UK Sizes)
7 x Girls Shoes / Trainers, Sizes 5 - 7 (UK Sizes)

I went on the size feet of my neice nephew and cousin who are all pre-school age as I do not have children of my own and do not have a clue!!! ;D :o ;D

Hope this helps and hope they can wait until May, do I drop them off at the Dreams office with all the other school supplies that I have collected. I sent a comprehensive list to Lyndsey but I have added to it since we last spoke!

Lynda
;D

Ok I have never contributed to any “dream project” before, but I just learned of this when I became a member a few weeks ago, I would really like to help…please tell me where I can drop stuff off for the pre-school, I have very GENTLY used shoes, (girls and boys) tons of like new clothing (sizes 3X- 6X girls) and (sizes 5-10 in boys) and would love to contribute some peanut butter or whatever else may be needed, I dont have tons of cash right now…but in any OTHER way I would love to help, I will be in Puerto Plata on wednesday the 6th till the 13th…the update on the preschool situation is heart-wrenching… :’(

[quote author=LittleMissNaughty link=board=general&thread=1112179406&start=7#0 date=1112513133]Hi Jimmy,

I have got for you:

5 x Peanut Butter, mix of smooth & Chunky!
7 x Sandels, size ranging 4 - 7 (UK Sizes)
5 x Gym Pumps, sizes 5 - 7 (UK Sizes)
7 x Girls Shoes / Trainers, Sizes 5 - 7 (UK Sizes)

I went on the size feet of my neice nephew and cousin who are all pre-school age as I do not have children of my own and do not have a clue!!! ;D :o ;D

Hope this helps and hope they can wait until May, do I drop them off at the Dreams office with all the other school supplies that I have collected. I sent a comprehensive list to Lyndsey but I have added to it since we last spoke!

Lynda
;D[/quote]

Just amazing Lynda!

Thank you for your efforts!

Cheers
Jimmy

Hola funcplont!

You can simply e mail us here at the Fiesta Committee, and we will send you all of the information that you require.

Thank you for taking the time to post, and for thinking of the children, it is appreciated!

info@fiesta.webcentre.ca

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Cheers
Jimmy