Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Dreams La Romana aka Sunscape Casa Del Mar

Does anyone know if the tranformation of the Sunscape Casa del Mar to Dreams La Romana has started and when it should be complete. Thinking of booking Feb 6 thru Feb 14 and don’t want to be in a mess. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It’s very much already started and the work is progressing rapidly. The property will be “opening” as Dreams this fall, so by February, it will be well set up as the new hotel.

I will be there from February 6 myself, with 18 of my closest friends(!) and have no concerns that it won’t be in great condition. That said, I did convince them to book this hotel because the price is still good due to the fact that I expect there will be a period of working out kinks as happens in pretty much all new openings. By February, I don’t think they will be of the order that one would say “they aren’t ready to be selling it as a Dreams”, but I’m glad to still get a Sunscape price for the Dreams amenities.

It shouldn’t be a “mess”, but for it to be totally up to speed, you might want to give it another season. You’d be paying more then too. I’m really looking forward to all that they’ll be offering this season though.

Kaki

Kaki,

Thanks for the info. I think we are going to book this week as the price is good. Apple Vacations is selling this resort as Dreams La Romana already. For the cost if it’s not in perfect running order, so be it. As long as the rooms are clean, the food is good and bars are open how bad could it be.

Kaki can you give me some idea of what room to ask for in which building? We prefer a higher floor with Kingbed and would love a renovated room but the most important thing is the quietest area of hotel as I am a very light sleeper and we go to bed pretty early. A couple of the reviews I read mention that the hallways are pretty noisy. Do you have any info to steer me in the direction? Thanks

I’ll have to get an understanding of the layout once some of the construction is complete to give the best recommendation.

I used to say west facing building 7 was the quietest because of its location by the jungle spa and the fact that it is directed away from the bulk of the property. But now there is construction on that side and I don’t know how contained any noise from the completed building will be. The new theater and disco will be moved away from the bulk of the rooms.

I don’t recall that anything is being put in by building 1, but being closest to Bayahibe (I’ll get back to you on your questions about the village), when out on a balcony in the morning I was able to hear the roosters! It may not permeate the walls or your light sleep though. You can hear the roosters in the video clip at http://travel.webshots.com/video/3068630140064234328vmsdqJ It’s a lot louder in Bayahibe and I totally found it disruptive! I find this video quite funny: http://travel.webshots.com/video/3007434720064234328kNMbIj

But if you’re an early riser since you went to bed early, that may not be a problem, so then you’d want to be avoiding the theatre and disco and maybe the lobby area, since they can have musical entertainment there too, up to 11:30. That may be cancelled or extended as Dreams. Then, I’d request buildings 1, 2 and 3. That end appears to be where there’s less action, especially when they close in Da Mario restaurant. When it was open air, people in the nearby buildings could be annoyed by those who have a laugh that carries if they were still finishing up coffee and dessert at 11 p.m.

With the introduction of the new supreme Club suites in building 7, it may take some rooms out of circulation to the masses who have purchased entry level rooms. If you like that area, it will be unfortunate (I had a beautiful ocean facing room in that building for my first visit in 2004), but to move the Club suites there means that rooms in the highly desirable buildings 2 and 3 will now possibly be available to all. I believe that the construction of building 3 made those rooms more soundproofed so that may still be a request for you. You can lay towels along the bottom of the door and bring packing tape to wrap around the door frame if there are cracks. If somebody is going to be noisy in the hall, you’ll likely hear it. If it’s ongoing, do feel free to call reception and ask for a bit of intervention.

After the renovations and construction is complete by the beginning of the season, you’ll not have to worry about requesting a renovated room. They should all be fresh and appealing. I understand that they are even giving a once over to the rooms in building 3 which are only a year old. With all other room requests, I always suggest that you contact the hotel and tell them what you want, like a quiet room at night or a quiet room in the morning, top floor, ground floor, near the beach or overlooking one of the pools. If you tell them particularly what you want, then they can accommodate you as they know best. If you say you want room 3246 and it’s not available, they may then put you somewhere opposite to what you were after. Kerry is the one you want to contact, at concierge@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do Tell her what you’ve told us, and she’ll try to take care of you.

Kaki

Hi there finaddict!

I was there in June and the transitioning is going great!

At that point they had closed bldg 4 down and were re-doing it.

Building 5 and 7 are going to be the NEW Preferred Club area!

Here is a map so you can see which ones I mean:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2495232330056614800EyNcuQ][/URL]

click in to see more detail, you can scroll to the top right and hit full view.

While I was there I had a tour of two of the mock up rooms that are going to be Preferred Club…you can see the tours here…

Preferred Club Room:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2264931940056614800svbFqC][/URL]

they will have rooms and deluxe family suites which would be adjoining rooms that one will have a king bed and the other will have 2 doubles…

Preferred Club Ocean Front SUITE:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2931060470056614800VPBmnM][/URL]

I have been staying in touch with management at the resort…here is a little update I got last week:

“For now building 4 and 7 are closed and the construction of sunscape blvd in the front is coming along great. New Theatre, disco and convention center being built. Damarios and Himitsu are closed and being worked on as well…”

The complete transition should be done towards the end of the year so February should be “Dreamy”

I am going back mid January, taking my Leopard Laptop and doing “LIVE FROM” reports…

You can also access their webpage:

http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drelr/guest-rooms.html

They have a great navagational bar at the top.

Hope this has been helpful,
Happy Travels!
bb/mt ;D

So if the price we got was good ie we are paying 220.00 per night for the Dreams La Romana
Resort, then I guess we are not in the Preferred Club. LOL

But is there any upgrades between those two levels that we can do without going all the way up to preferr club?

Our TA quoted us additional 1200.00 per person as the only upgrade available. Does that sound right?

So long as room is decent I guess we don’t need the upgrade. What else do you get with upgrade besides a fabulous room?

The basic room offers:

Spacious room with modern decor, each room has one king or two queen beds, cable TV, complimentary mini-bar restocked daily, alarm clock, direct dial telephone, coffee maker, iron and ironing board and in room safe. Rooms have a garden view with private balcony or terrace.

The Preferred Club rooms and suites offer additional VIP services, enhanced amenities and privileges including:

• Private Preferred Club Lounge
  • Private check-in and check-out
  • Daily Continental breakfast
  • Afternoon and evening hors d’oeuvres
  • Expanded mini-bar items
  • Pillow menu
  • VIP amenities
  • Upgraded toiletries
  • Complimentary internet access lounge area

You have the option at Club Rooms and Club Suites, but there’s nothing between. Some of the max suites have a personal whirlpool, but not all of the details are available yet. You should send a note to Kerry though (she’s on vacation until the beginning of September but Jesus or somebody else may answer in her stead, or she can get back to you after she returns) and see if she can provide a price. Their website says the upgrade to the Club room is $555 per person per week. A bit cheaper than what you’ve been quoted. Maybe you are being offered a Club room with a view.

If a clean and beautiful room with a tropical paradise with all amenities just outside your door is all you need, I’d stick with the basic that you have. For decor, you may want to look at my room pics posted at:

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2310683450064234328YbwEil][/URL]

That is a new room (double obviously) which will be similar to the standard of the rooms at Dreams. You can expect similar appointments (without the bouquet of flowers–they were a gift!). Basic but clean and fresh.

Kaki

[quote=@gemgirlbarbara]So if the price we got was good ie we are paying 220.00 per night for the Dreams La Romana
Resort, then I guess we are not in the Preferred Club. LOL

But is there any upgrades between those two levels that we can do without going all the way up to preferr club?

Our TA quoted us additional 1200.00 per person as the only upgrade available. Does that sound right?

So long as room is decent I guess we don’t need the upgrade. What else do you get with upgrade besides a fabulous room?[/quote]

Right now on the Dreams site the only “club” rooms being offered are Preferred Club as listed below from their site:

The Preferred Club rooms and suites offer additional VIP services, enhanced amenities and privileges including:

Private Preferred Club Lounge
Private check-in and check-out
Daily Continental breakfast
Afternoon and evening hors d’oeuvres
Expanded mini-bar items
Pillow menu
VIP amenities
Upgraded toiletries
Complimentary internet access lounge area

Room and Suite Categories include:

Deluxe Garden View
Deluxe Partial Ocean View
Garden View Suites
Ocean Front Suites
Preferred Club Deluxe
Preferred Club Partial Ocean View
Master Suites

Here is the link:

http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drelr/guest-rooms.html

You can also send a note down to Fernando Rameriz the rooms division manager if you like:

Fernando Ramirez <framirez@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do

I am not sure they will be offering bldg 1 and 3 as Club like they are now…once the “Preferred Club” goes into effect…

But of course all the “names” of the rooms are subject to change…

Hope some of this has been helpful!

Happy Travels!
bb/mt ;D

Kaki thanks for the info. I looked at all your pics and they are great.

I’m getting very excited now! I love going to a new resort and this one looks really good. It looks like you like room 3236. I’m thinking bldg 3 looks like a great location. I think we will stick with the basic room. It looks pretty good to me.

The best looking thing was that double sided drink menu.LOL Enjoyed your pics a lot. Except for the ones of Saskatoon in dead of winter. Wow that was a reality check. And just yesterday I was cleaning up a few leaves on my grass and started to look forward to fall. The best thing about fall and winter though is that it mean my trip is closer and closer> Jan 11 can’t wait!

Thanks Baltobabe for the info. I will email for a room request closer to Jan 11 when we leave. We will be at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana Jan 11 -20 and then at Dreams from the 20th to 27th.

Maybe we’ll see you there?

[quote=@gemgirlbarbara]Thanks Baltobabe for the info. I will email for a room request closer to Jan 11 when we leave. We will be at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana Jan 11 -20 and then at Dreams from the 20th to 27th.

Maybe we’ll see you there?
[/quote]

Gemgirlbarbara, that would be GREAT! Lets stay in touch as time gets closer to figure it out!

Happy Travels!
bb/mt ;D

Thanks to all for your information, it was very helpful

I ended up booking Dreams La Romana with a local travel agency “Liberty Travel” and they matched the best price I could find on the internet with the flights we wanted for Feb 6th to Feb 14th 2009. They included transfers for $1300.00 pp including taxes for 8 nights.

congrats finaddict! That is a great price!

I have a lot of CDM / aka / Dreams La Romana info that I can share with you if you are intressted…it is in the form of an email…

if you are intrested you can reach me at

baltobabe@gmail.com

I would be happy to forward it on!

Happy Travels!
bb/mt ;D

finaddict, see you there! The rest of our group arrives on the 5th, but I get in on the 6th (til the 21st). You got a much better price than I did though… Oh, for the days when I could pay less than $2000 for a week! You can’t get anywhere from here for good deal.

Kaki

Does anyone have pictures of the beach area at the Dreams La Romana - I’d like to find out if there is any shade area available (i.e. umbrella; canopies). My wife and I are going February 13, 2009.

[quote=@papajoe]Does anyone have pictures of the beach area at the Dreams La Romana - I’d like to find out if there is any shade area available (i.e. umbrella; canopies). My wife and I are going February 13, 2009.

[/quote]

Hi PapaJoe,

You will find shady areas under the many Palapas and Palm trees around the resort and also over by the pier they have Bali Beds…

Here are a few beach shots…if you click on the pics it will take you to various albums I have of CDM soon to be Dreams LaRomana from previous trips over the years…

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2967135370056614800NJEvht][/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2415181030056614800igXwYG][/URL]

when you click on the pic then you can aslo go to the top right page and click full view to get a better look…

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2449133630056614800ALOesH][/URL]

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2833488160056614800mgDyFy][/URL]

http://family.webshots.com/video/3055328630056614800QDdDcd

video above is of the Bali Bed area they now have the mattresses on them and are lovely…they are just past the pier and theater area on the map:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2495232330056614800EyNcuQ][/URL]

This is an evening shot of the beach set up for a party…

[URL=http://family.webshots.com/photo/2142072230056614800jIHYRu][/URL]

You can find a bunch more pics of CDM in my various ablumbs here on webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/baltobabe

Happy Travels!

bb/mt ;D

I have been answering this question for a long time so at one point pulled a bunch of my pictures that showed the shade and labeled them by where they are on the property and what time of the day it was. Of course as the sun moves, it brings shade into some areas and exposes others. If you’d like to see those shots, please send me an e-mail. I wish I could quickly pull them from my Webshots collection to post them here since they are really quite representative, but alas it’s not so easily done when I have 9000 pictures there, the vast majority of which are of Casa del Mar!

Kaki
kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

Can anyone tell me as of right now, or the next 2 weeks if it is a good time to go to casa del mar? What is closed? What is open? what area is right is best to request/ or anything else you can tell me?

If you want a fully functional hotel, now is not the best time to go. As I mentioned somewhere else recently, I think that first timers to this property are more concerned/upset about the work being done than those who have been before. Repeaters are coming back with reports that walls are up and construction is definitely happening but that it’s not upsetting their vacation at all. I’ve been before during times of construction and have a sense of how it can be. There is a lot more happening now than when I was there before when portions of the property were cordoned off, but I’m not overly worried and am booked to return on October 11. If you were to ask me, “would you go now?” I’d clearly say, “Yes!”

The lobby is closed but they have redone one of the restaurants into a makeshift lobby which I actually think is nicer than the old one was. I hope the new lobby will be as beautiful! I think the gym will be closed when I’m there and a couple of restaurants and the theater. They are holding the shows in other locations on the property and rotating restaurant menus in those that are open. Of course the buffet is still open and offers a great selection of meat, veg, rice, salads, fried food, pasta… It’s my mom’s favourite restaurant!

I can try to answer any questions you have, but telling you what I think you might want to know is a bit trickier. All of the rooms currently being sold will be renovated–I believe. They are either the ones just constructed last year or those that were renovated and are now reopened. If you have a request for a quiet room or a certain view or near the beach, I suggest that you contact Kerry at the hotel (concierge@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do) or Fernando (e-mail address above) and let them know that. They will then slot you in where they think you will be happiest within the rooms that they have available.

Kaki