Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Dreams La Romana aka Sunscape Casa Del Mar

Thank you for all the info! Any info any can send me by pm PLEASE do so. I would love to read all about it. Also how soon ahead should I email my requests? Does anyone have any idea now what buildings and restaurants are closed. Also what buildings or floors would be best to request. I would rather be closer to the beach.

Mimi,

please check for a PM from me.

You can send an email down to Kerry and then again a few days before your arrive if you like she can give you the most accurate info as to what is going on right now and in the future…

Kerry Cosentino
concierge@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do

Happy Travels!
bb/mt ;D

Hi Baltobabe, I saw pictures from a review last week that showed their room in building three in rough condition. I thought these rooms were just renovated last year as the first block for Dreams. I have a little concerd. Planning on going in Feb. Any thoughts?
Seeking Warmth

Hi seekingwarmth,

I didn’t see the pics you are talking about…so can’t comment.

Bldg 3 is one of the newer buildings only built a year or two ago.

The “dreams renovations” started this year with building 5, 7 and 4 from what I understand. I don’t think that when building 1 and 3 were built that they had planned to be a dreams at that point in time…I think that decision came after those buildings 1 and 3 went up.

If you are concerned you can always email Kerry…

Kerry Cosentino
concierge@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do

Happy Travels!
bb/mt ;D

Baltobabe, I have sent a message to Kerry but not heard back. Would you suggest building three or four. Does it really matter? Maybe one is the least desirable.
Just curious.
Seeking Warmth

Not sure when you sent the message. I was in touch with her Friday and Saturday by phone she told me she was having some email issues…

If you don’t hear back right away please email me at

baltobabe@gmail.com

I’d be happy to try and help make sure it gets down there.

Between bld 3 and 4 …4 would be the newest of the re done bldgs.

Hope this helps!

bb/mt ;D

Hey Kaki and BB

I’m looking at my first trip to the south shore after 4 trips to PC… pricing for Dreams aka CDM still look great for March from Eastern Canada $1473/pp Taxes in from Moncton…any suggestions from either of you?

EDinNB

[quote=@southernnber]Hey Kaki and BB

I’m looking at my first trip to the south shore after 4 trips to PC… pricing for Dreams aka CDM still look great for March from Eastern Canada $1473/pp Taxes in from Moncton…any suggestions from either of you?

EDinNB[/quote]

Ed,

What kind of suggestions are you looking for?

Give me an idea of what you would like to know and I would be happy to try and help…

If you go up above you will see in one of my posts the map of the resort and if you click on that I have a lot of info in that album that you may find helpful.

Happy Travels,

bb/mt ;D

I gues I’m looking for suggestions on best bars Which A La Cartes are best, is there a preffered favourite waiter/waitress to look for… Some of the picture hosting sites are blocked from work, I’ll have to wait till this evening to check them out.

Thanks,

EDinNB

[quote=@southernnber]I gues I’m looking for suggestions on best bars <wink> Which A La Cartes are best, is there a preffered favourite waiter/waitress to look for… Some of the picture hosting sites are blocked from work, I’ll have to wait till this evening to check them out.

Thanks,

EDinNB[/quote]

Well by March Ed it WILL be Dreams LaRomana …

The lobby bar has always been a favorite of mine…and right now they are re doing it! I can’t wait to see how it will be come January when I return!

Of course the Swim up bar by the infinity pool is another one…and the Beach Bar too…and the bar by the theater…but that is going to be moving up to the new theater so will have to see how that is …

Til now my favorites ala cartes have been

Seaside Grill
Oceana
The Jungla (on the beach)
Da Marios

I am looking foward to trying Bordeaux that is one of the Dreams specialities and I have enjoyed that in other Dreams…It has a french menu.

My favorite drink is the “Chichikakapooka” at the lobby bar having Alex make it! I have a video on one of my webshots album of him doing that! FUNNY!

Things are transitioning and some things will remain the same and some things will be changing! I am looking forward to January to go back and see…

I promise to report LIVE FROM and let you know how the DREAM is…

Happy Travels,
bb/mt ;D

I’m very interested to hear from both you and Kaki after you return when it is fully functioning as Dreams…and interested to see if it is better or if you miss your old friend CDM.

EDinNB

[quote=@southernnber]I’m very interested to hear from both you and Kaki after you return when it is fully functioning as Dreams…and interested to see if it is better or if you miss your old friend CDM.

EDinNB[/quote]

Ed, I feel sure I’ll miss my old friend CDM! I’m quite melancholy for it actually. One of the reasons I’m returning there this weekend is to get one more look and to try to buy some Sunscape CDM merch! I’m lacking a tank top…I wonder what they have left in their inventory. I may find that I miss it more in the future when the prices jump up to Dreams rates. I too got a relatively good price for 2 weeks in February and talked a bunch of friends into going there now while the price is good since I anticipate an increase in the future. We have 19 in our group headed there on February 6. If it gets too expensive, especially for my single occupancy trips, I will be priced out. I loved it just fine before, since I don’t need no fancy canopy bed or tons of fancy imbibements!

But I know that many of the Dreams features are what I like so as long as I can return to that primo location next to Bayahibe and with those reefs, I’ll be doing it. I’m interested to see the difference that the improvements and name change bring.

It will also be interesting to see who’s there for staff once the change takes place. I know that there are some rules being enforced (some of the guys have to get a more traditional haircut) which may exclude some people, and there are often low season layoffs. Once the season peaks again, some of the great-yet-rookie staff who were left unemployed for the summer may’ve found other opportunities and won’t be back. I’ll definitely make suggestions before you go in March after I’ve returned in February! I feel I know that some will still be there and I’ll check with them next week to confirm that. I’m hoping others will too (Santiago!).

My favourite bar may not be yours so I suggest you try them all–twice! I, for example, would never be in a position to recommend the swim-up bar since I’ve never used one once. Not my thing. The lobby bar in most hotels seems to be a great choice, certainly where I’ve been. After some expansion and improvement to the one at Dreams, I’m hopeful that the lobby bar will be unbeatable. Otherwise, I think the best bar is the one closest to where I am!

I’ll give you suggestions for Bayahibe too if you’re interested. I’m sure a couple of visits to the village would be on your list, and even take the gua gua over to the public beach at Dominicus. If you return to PC in the future, I know that you’ll want to see more than just the hotel beach and what you see on a couple of excursions.

Let me know if there was something in particular you wanted a recommendation on, otherwise I’ll tell about all of my favourite everythings!

Kaki

Thanks Kaki and BB, I’m sure if we get the rest to book no one will be dissapointed…I’ve spent the evening looking at the property now and then and I see lots if “improvements” but my tastes are very simple… Clean room, nice beach, good food and lots of it… Presidente and Brugal by the gallon… the rest is fluff to me… 1 week where my biggest worry is a second drink or second plate of food…

I await all CDM stories from all of you.

EDinNB

Thanks for Baltobabe and Kaki for their reply to my previous posting.

Next question: Can someone tell me if Dreams/Sunscape carry “Disaronno” in their bars?

Hi Papa,

I remember seeing a bottle at the lobby bar when I was there in June!

A yum…an Amaretto Sour…YUM!!!

Happy Travels!
bb/mt ;D

papa joe, shade is not a problem!you will find plenty of shady places close to the water,& near the bar ENJOY!

Thanks BB and Donvan for your replies. I’m not going until Feb 09 and from what I understand the reno will be completed in Nov 08. I’m hoping some of these question can be answered:

• are there any horseback riding tours from the Sunscape/Dreams resort?
  • are reservations needed at the restaurants (i.e. Italian, etc.)?
  • I’ve read numerous reviews stating that the snorkelling off the resort is great. Also I think it was BB who had a picuture of a rash she received from seaweed!!! Any suggestions about best locations off the beach to snorkel and any “safety” infromation would also be appreciated.

Closer to my trip I would like suggesstions on which rooms BB and Kaki would recommend.

[quote=@papajoe]Thanks BB and Donvan for your replies. I’m not going until Feb 09 and from what I understand the reno will be completed in Nov 08. I’m hoping some of these question can be answered:

• are there any horseback riding tours from the Sunscape/Dreams resort?
  • are reservations needed at the restaurants (i.e. Italian, etc.)?
  • I’ve read numerous reviews stating that the snorkelling off the resort is great. Also I think it was BB who had a picuture of a rash she received from seaweed!!! Any suggestions about best locations off the beach to snorkel and any “safety” infromation would also be appreciated.

Closer to my trip I would like suggesstions on which rooms BB and Kaki would recommend.[/quote]

Yes they do have a Horseback Ride guy there. They have a hut down on the beach near the Towel Hut…

The tour sheet is here:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2431000110056614800LVIBre][/URL]

If you click in on the pic it will take you to an info album I have for CDM…soon to be Dreams LaRomana.

Dreams as all AMResorts properties does not have any wrist bands or reservations…its their trademark!

Here is an overhead map of just a few places at cdm / soon to be Dreams LaRomana I love to Snorkel:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2277778890056614800lLdqal][/URL]

I think it was Kaki who had a rash…I have never had any problems.

I will be going down January 9th and will have better room recomendations at that point…

Hope some of the above is helpful!

Happy Travels!
bb/mt ;D

Papa Joe, we are unsure of the source of my blistered wound but it may’ve been a beach plant as opposed to a seaweed. There is a water plant that haunts divers and swimmers, usually in the waters around Hawaii, which is worse under your bathing suit where it becomes pressed up against your skin. My wounds were where I was exposed, on my abdomen and legs. I don’t understand the beach plant exposure any more than a seaweed exposure, but I know that I do get out and about without much concern about things like that when I see a picture to be taken or if I want to look at a flower closer! I ended up with a couple of mean shoulder gashes last week when a tree attacked me.

I recommend a couple of different reef areas than balto and my marked up aerial looks like this:

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2555524930064234328UdhfTz][/URL]

Depending on whether they remove the shipwreck brought about by TS Fay by then, there may be an extra site to snorkel when you arrive. It’s beached at the spot marked on the above picture at reef area #3 furthest away. I’ll post the pictures I took last week of the area later tonight.

Though they will be completed by the time you (and I!) arrive in February, just for clarification, the work won’t be completed by November of 2008. When will you be there? I arrive on February 6, staying to the 21st. 2 weeks wasn’t quite enough, and I had to book 15 days for this trip!

Not knowing for sure how it will all pan out, I recommend building 3 for the best location, but buildings 2 and 4 will be more recently renovated and not badly situated either. It depends on what you’re looking for from your room, I’d say. If you’re paying for the upgraded rooms, you’ll have more selection in other buildings where you’ll likely be assigned, but the standard rooms are now going to be in a primo location on the property.

Kaki

I would love to go back & see the difference, but I am suprised at how high the price is.