Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Duty Free Liquor Allowances

This post was prompted by a question on another thread. http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cubageneral&action=display&thread=19989&page=2
But as it is off topic from the main topic of that thread, I am posting it as a new topic.

Monctonguy was asking how much rum we are allowed to bring back to Canada.

It isn’t so much an issue of how much is allowed, as how much we can bring back Duty Free.

Here are the rules as per the Canadian Border Services Agency:

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

• 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;
• a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of alcoholic beverages; or
• up to a maximum of 8.5 litres of beer or ale.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html

(Note, that is per person) Now, that doesn’t mean that you can’t bring back more. You can bring back as much as you can carry (within reason, of course), but you will have to pay duty and taxes on the excess.

How much the duty and taxes will amount to depends on your province of residence. I don’t think the variation is large from one province to another, but when we discussed this on another forum, we found that in Alberta, the amount was approximately $11 per liter. I think someone from PEI mentioned $20 per liter. I think most provinces would fall within this range.

I hope that helps.

There are allowances and then there are tolerances. LOL
We stick to the 2X700ml rule but always declare the extra couple of cans of beer, bottle of wine or liqueur. By declaring, we are following the law. Won’t end up on the Strip-Search list, forever.
Haven’t been asked to pay extra yet but it’s usually busy and we wouldn’t be worth a lot of tax.

Hola
it’s the late flights into T/O from cuba, never a problem one trip was 7 700 ml bottles…it was close, but 1:30 at night the guy just wanted to go home…lol. won’t talk about cigars…someone might report off topic…lol.
cheers.

Guess it depends where you fly into. The customs guys in Ottawa seem to be quite strict. They might let an extra 750 ml in but 2 or more extra bottles and you’re off to the pay the duty counter. This has been my experience anyway.

The customs forms used to ask how much you had. Now they just ask if you have gone over the limit and not by how much. Last time back I checked “Yes” because I had 2 x 750ml, technically over the limit. No one questioned anything. I supposed I could have had 5 or 6 bottles in my luggage.

Hola
like the last trip had 6 bottles, declared over and never asked how much…
cheers.

Fly into YYZ and always tell the truth - I bring over - I tell them exactly how much. They know that a lot of these bottles are 3.85 CUC - which makes me wonder if they want to bother doing the paper work on four dollars. I usually buy two “good” bottles (like a 75 CUC Mulata or 40 CUC Seleccion des Maestros) and then I am given a bottle by the hotel, and maybe I have another bottle or two at Bingo or a contest.

One thing I would suggest is take down a Rubbermaid™ type container with bubble wrap and large ziploc bags to contain any leakage if that happens (God forbid!). Never had a problem with any breakage or leakage in many trips to Cuba or Mexico.