Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Earthquake

Shakes the DR at 2:48 EST today 4.8 magnitude, felt all over the island

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/prp0904504.php

Fun, eh? There was one that affected the DR and Puerto Rico during our visit last winter. It woke up the whole resort around 4 in the morning.

Wow, they sure are having a string of “bad luck” luck, first torrential rains for days on end, flooding, mudslides, now this… hopefully there was no major damage or deaths… Praying for the people of the DR :-[

hope no one was hurt.

i did not feel any earthquakes effect in my 14 years here in PC.
and that torrential rain been not all over the island last week, because here where i live in PC we did not have that neither.
happy travel
Mike

Does one feel the effects of a far-off earthquake whilst on a boat?
Tsunami excluded, of course.

I thought my beer was a bit foamy… maybe it wasn´t the server. LOL

Rub it in…domingo’s
I have room for your Bolero and a hydro connection and shower facilities, no earthquakes but lots of ice…

[quote=@hlywud]Rub it in…domingo’s
I have room for your Bolero and a hydro connection and shower facilities, no earthquakes but lots of ice…[/quote]

Thanks Wud… looking forward to it.

Tata for now - back to the bar 8-).

[quote=@hlywud]Shakes the DR at 2:48 EST today 4.8 magnitude, felt all over the island

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/prp0904504.php[/quote]

Aww crap, I thought it was the “romance” in the air that night :wink:

[quote=@spunky]Does one feel the effects of a far-off earthquake whilst on a boat?
Tsunami excluded, of course.
[/quote]

Spunky,
it is stated that earthquake happened 2:48PM on sat feb 14th 2009,
that’s been Valentines day, at least over here,
nobody with a wife with her strong will has a chance to be fishing by then, we’ve been on the road for a valentines sweep throu PC including a nice lunch stop at her fav’s place.
none of my beers or beefs did shake that day, ha ha ha
and i love Tsunamis,
they keep our beaches from beeing tooo overcrowded on holiday weekends, sorrily the Dr has no more than 6-7 tsunamis per year, very rare ocassion, lol.
Mike

I know which road you took Mike…and its not a wonder you didnt feel the earthquake… it would have to been 10.0 to have been felt over the potholes in the road LOL

Not sure where this was felt, but we did not feel a thing (we were in POP) - and didn’t hear anyone talking about it while we were there. Just lucky I guess…

great Wilf,
that may be the explanation, ha ha
Mike

Nothing was felt at the Holiday Village in POP… I was sound asleep in the comfortable bed.

We didn’t feel anything in La Romana area. I can blame in the Mamajuanas…

yeap Joecan,
Mamajuana is a good earthquake and tropical storm killer,
tested those results myself a while back.
the result is always the same:
you feel like we have an earthquake rated a 10 on the scale while a #5 hurricane runs over the bedroom, but the next morning the only present thunder is the one which is blown by the wife when she does not wanna believe such as the explanation for our poor conditon, he he.
cheers
Mike
btw,
hey, nor quaking tonight, just Presidente light, lol

i love Tsunamis,
they keep our beaches from beeing tooo overcrowded on holiday weekends, sorrily the Dr has no more than 6-7 tsunamis per year, very rare ocassion, lol.

k, Mike…I didn’t really need to read that! :wink:

ha ha Cathy,
what?
that we have somewhere between 7-10% of the whole year no pure sunshine?
he he
in 2008 we had that big swell which by stats occurs only every 25-30 years, sure it was not a real Tsunami, much to low and weak for such, it was the worst which happened since nearby 3 decades and by stats it should last min 25 more years before we get again such a wave. and it was not some dominican or caribbean phenomenon, that swell passed the whole western atlantic, from the canadian east crossing the US east to the caribbean.
what we jokingly call a dominican tsunami is 15ft waves towards the barrier reef which make offshore fishing impossible that day due to the high surf in the passage where the boats need to clear the reef, offshore those waves would not be any problem to handle. such happened last friday, the effect of such is a day with no fishing, it was a beautiful sunny and cloudfree day, no too hard winds neither, people been on the beaches everywhere and did not even realize that a mile from the beach conditions been not that nice.
such as the worst scenario i name just perfect caribbean sunshine, no need to fear a dominican Tsunami, ha ha ha
today again we are on 100% pure sunshine, no clouds in vicinity, since 2 consecutive weeks now, wind is low, Ocean is very calm inshore and offshore.
looks like it will stay that way for some more days.
happy travel
Mike

[quote=@mikefisher]yeap Joecan,
Mamajuana is a good earthquake and tropical storm killer,
tested those results myself a while back.
the result is always the same:
you feel like we have an earthquake rated a 10 on the scale while a #5 hurricane runs over the bedroom, but the next morning the only present thunder is the one which is blown by the wife when she does not wanna believe such as the explanation for our poor conditon, he he.
cheers
Mike
btw,
hey, nor quaking tonight, just Presidente light, lol[/quote]

LOL!!! Good one!
It was great meeting you at the Crazy gator (herb and roberta)
we’ll be seeing you again !It’s Herb’s favorite spot haha