Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Emotions at Playa Dorada

We just got a great rate at this hotel in Puerto Plata. We have been to Punta Cana twice but never PP. And, this hotel just re-opened after being completely redone we heard. Does anyone have any information on the resort or information we should need for PP?

No, no one has replied besides you. I am sure that it is very nice, was just interested in addition information if anyone had anything to add.

It’s been a while since we have been in the area. I did some digging, and as best I can tell, it’s an extensive renovation of the previously named Celuisma / Beach Resort by Faranda. I also saw one write-up that said it was previously the Playa Naco. Looking at the photos, I’m inclined to think it’s the former.
It seems to be getting good reviews, taking into consideration that it appears renovations are still in progress and there might be a few rough edges in service and facilities. It looks like pretty good value for the money. I always kind of liked Playa Dorada but be aware that it’s a whole different world compared to Punta Cana.

Thanks for the information. What do you mean by it is a whole different world compared to PC?

OK, there really isn’t any town/city of Punta Cana. Everything in the area is pretty new. Twenty years ago there wasn’t much there except sand and palm trees. Everything was pretty well built around tourism. The beach is exceptional.
Puerto Plata on the other hand has been there since Edison was an apprentice. It’s old, a little dirty, and there are motor scooters EVERYWHERE, including possibly the sidewalk. Traffic signals, when they were introduced, were treated as an indication that the power was on today. They’re a little better obeying them now, but it’s best to look in all directions before moving anywhere. Playa Dorada is a gated area and as such is pretty safe and nice to walk around. The sand is much darker than Punta Cana, but overall the beach is nice, but not spectacular. There are more and varied excursions to take and more to see. Towns and villages in the area are interesting to visit. Don’t miss the cable car up Mt. Isabelle de Torres (793 metres high). There’s a nice botanical garden at the summit. The view is spectacular. Just go there early in the morning as the mountain is generally clouded over in the afternoons. Ocean World is another not to be missed place. I have done business with a local tour operator (martin Espinal). His English is perfect and he had good equipment. If he’s still in business, I highly recommend him. If you go, drop me a line and I can give you contact information.

Wow! Great information bobfromcanada! As I mentioned, our vacations are generally relaxation based. Soaking up the sun, taking a few walks and taking in a few (ok a bunch of) adult beverages. :smiley: I may take you up on the contact information for the local tour operator though. Thanks again.

Ted

You’re welcome. Glad to help. FYI, Martin has been a strong supporter of Debbie’s and Beyond The Beach Children’s Foundation. We’ve toured with him several times. I bumped the bid several times in their on-line auctions and ended up the high bidder and purchasing :slight_smile:
Each time we had a very good tour. As I said, his English is excellent, he’s reliable and (at the time) his van was in good condition. Tourism in Puerto Plata was in decline for a few years and seems to be on the upswing again. I’m assuming he survived the downturn and is still in business. I hope.