Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

End of towel wars?

Interesting article on what some resorts and cruise lines are now doing to end the towel war problem. Can’t see this happening in Cuba though.

Thanks dax. Maybe pagers in Cuba instead of cell calls.

I like the idea of putting a time notice on the seats and, imo, 1 hour should be the outside limit. I think this would deter people from going to the beach or pool at crack of dawn to grab seats and then not show up to claim them for many hours. I see this happen at the resort we go to because I’m an early riser (up with the sun) and our balcony overlooks the beach. I, also, go for an early morning walk up the farm road and this takes me past the pool. I go by at 6:30 am and, yep, seats have already been claimed :o. I think the time notice sends a clear message to everyone looking for a seat when one will be available and would greatly deter people from abusing hogging seats they don’t plan on using for hours. Once people have clearly taken possession and are using the seats, even if they wander off to swim, walk, have lunch, the monitoring should be dropped. It’s the early morning hoggers who create the towel wars, imo.

Once in a while I assume that the towels are there to be returned to the beach hut and pile them outside it.
I have also on occasion took them from the chairs and pile them on one chair ( they looked lonely LOL )
I will do this either at past midnight on a beach walk or if I get up at 5 am for some photos shots. These people are devoid of brains so if they get the rude awakening when they come to the beach at noon, that’s life.
I will bet that they never do it again.

PS. The last time I returned wayward towels on chairs was this last trip and I thought that doing naked cannonballs in the pool at 1 am seemed like a great plan so,I needed a towel or 4 !

Rum may have been envolved.

[quote=@verycoldcanadian]Once in a while I assume that the towels are there to be returned to the beach hut and pile them outside it.
I have also on occasion took them from the chairs and pile them on one chair ( they looked lonely LOL )
I will do this either at past midnight on a beach walk or if I get up at 5 am for some photos shots. These people are devoid of brains so if they get the rude awakening when they come to the beach at noon, that’s life.
I will bet that they never do it again.

PS. The last time I returned wayward towels on chairs was this last trip and I thought that doing naked cannonballs in the pool at 1 am seemed like a great plan so,I needed a towel or 4 !

Rum may have been envolved.[/quote]

LMAO… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

what parts hit the water first…lol
cheers.

While I don’t want to see someone pay $$$ for lost towels I have no problem moving stuff from chairs that’s been there for hours unused … AND … moving it back when we’re done using the chairs.
Once, a “Reservist” showed up a couple of hours after I’d done this and I was more than happy to give the chairs back. I think they we’re reserving at the pool and the beach and they didn’t leave their stuff at the beach the rest of the week. :sunglasses: Haven’t had an argument or a “discouraging word”, but I’m also a big guy. :wink:
We also offer our chairs to people while we’re at lunch or go for a walk and we look after other’s stuff while they go for a walk.
I hope Dr VCC neatly folded the towels and put them back after abusing them. ;D

OMG, VCC…the mind boggles :o ;D ;D ;D

I did not abuse the towels…
I just used the towels that were set out on chairs that night for " marking their spot " the next day.
It was not my fault.
I was dared to do the naked cannonballs.
It was the DEMON RUM !!!

[quote=@crabby1]what parts hit the water first…lol
cheers.[/quote]

The part that is closest to the floor hit the water first, my feet.

sure…lol

You are too kind.

( and you have been peeking :o :o )

PRDO put up signs around the pool a few years back

But the reality is …sometimes you just cannot fix stupid

I have no problem moving people’s towels if a chair has been unattended for a prolonged time… I’m not going to sit in the sand if there’s a perfectly good chair being ‘guarded’ by a towel!

I love this thread. Thanks to avcvetstudent to revive it.
This trip in Feb had a bunch of us doing NCAM ( rum was DEFINITELY invovled ) and we would like to thank the people that left out 4 towels that were left out at the pool on the " prime " chairs ha-ha-ha. I cannot remember what we did with them but I am sure we did not drop them too far away.
The thing to remember people is that the HOTEL owns the towels.
Don’t steal, but to borrow is okay !!

“Nud3 Cannonball after Midnight” ??
LMAO

I walked the beach one morning at 9:15 on Ensanachos, and counted 125 loungers with towels and no people, on the way back I counted the loungers with people in them and the count was 20, and some of the empty ones didn’t get used until after 11AM. I know that’s not as funny as a cannon ball in a pool but…
Didn’t really affect me because by 11:30 I have to get out of the sun, but there were quite a few angry people

One way to end this problem quickly is if the various Resorts took away the towels from the “saved” loungers, and then charged those people the 20 CUCs for lost or stolen towels! Word would get out pretty quick re the consequences of saving. I know BJ has it in the Information Folder in the rooms that “saving loungers or Palapalas by placing towels or other personal items on them is strictly prohibited” but until drastic measures are taken to combat it there will always be some (many) who take a “I don’t care” attitude.

It would end a lot faster and with more fun if you sprinkled itching powder on the towels as you walked by. :o :o :o :o :o
Not that I would lower myself to such antics. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

[quote=@dax]It would end a lot faster and with more fun if you sprinkled itching powder on the towels as you walked by. :o :o :o :o :o
Not that I would lower myself to such antics. ::slight_smile: ::)[/quote]

I could see this happening: whistling and rolling your eyes while walking up and down the beach… too funny!