Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Erasable pens and tourist cards

Last year I was filling out my Tourist Card on board and made a mistake - when the flight attendant told me I would need to buy another I flipped over my pen and voila - erased the date and fixed it. She said everyone should carry one and I thought I would pass it on.

Thanks for the great tip!

If I made a mistake and needed new one I would just say that I didn’t get one to begin with, no way in HELL would I pay for another one on the plane !

so we actually have to pay for them? How much do they charge for the tourist cards? And did you get them once you were actually on the plane or before boarding?
Thanks!

[quote=@leticiateliz]so we actually have to pay for them? How much do they charge for the tourist cards? And did you get them once you were actually on the plane or before boarding?
Thanks![/quote]Most times you get them on the plane, and no, you don’t pay extra for them unless you need a replacement because you messed the first one up…

Awesome Idea!.

I have made mistakes on the dates on a couple of occasions and just wrote over it. I was not made to buy another one and no one said a word to me about the mess I made on the card.

I will buy an erasable pen so I can simply erase the mistake and re do it. :wink:

Freedom Ryder 8-)…

The new forms are almost fool proof though - just basic information - you don’t need the name of the resort/hotel/casa anymore. I say almost foolproof because a woman on our flight last week filled in her information on one half and her husband’s on the other - on both cards :frowning: I did feel for her - she certainly could have used an erasable pen.

I have a supply of the ‘old’ tourist cards and I always bring a few as reserve, in case I really boff up (never used any, in many trips with many groups). I wonder how long the old ones will still be valid?

Has anyone ever been required to pay for a new card because they made a mistake, or is that an urban myth? I’ve heard it so many times, but have never met anyone who paid.

Yes,you have to pay when you make a mistake .On my trip last Dec., a gentelmen made a mistake and asked for a new card.The flight attendant informed him that the cost for a new card is $16 …well he wasn’t very happy (or quiet ) about it !

I wonder if the " Tide To Go" pen we take along would work to erase a mistake… ;D

yes, but if you did not ask for a new card, simply changed the mistake and approached customs with it, would they turn you around and say you need a new card?

It may depend on the error, but when we went last week my sis-in-law made an error and they let it pass and she was not asked to pay for a new card. When I overheard another passenger asking about his error, the flight attendant told him he was free to take it, as is, and see if they would accept it. If that didn’t work out, he could buy it then. IMHO, I don’t think that they are as inflexible about it as the instructions make it appear.

I made a mistake on mine once and just put lines through the mistake so you could still see what was written there. Went through customs without a problem.
BUT…I just got back from shopping and purchased 2 of the erasable pens :slight_smile:
There is a group of us going so I am sure they will get put to good use.

I’m surprised how this, “make a mistake and you have to buy a new card” urban myth has continued to perpetuate itself.

If mistakes on Tourist Cards never made it past Cuban Immigration there would dozens of people on every flight lining up to buy new cards. In the dozens and dozens of times over the years that I’ve stood in line at Immigration I’ve seen exactly one person have their Tourist Card refused - and that was a stereotypical Lonely Planet white Rastafarian backpacker in fisherman’s pants. You know he was going to get jerked around no matter what…

I’m not sure how exactly it qualifies as an urban myth…it’s what we’re told by the flight attendants and it’s written in the instructions on the card.

If they do not strictly enforce this it hardly qualifies as mythical.

“… If they do not strictly enforce this it hardly qualifies as mythical. …”

On the contrary, that’s exactly what makes it mythical!

There are endless dire predictions on Cuban forums like this one and it’s repeated over and over by many travelers, flight attendants, travel agents, etc. etc. etc. - yet it’s not true, a simple mistake does not have the Tourist Card rejected by Cuban Immigration.

There is no reason to fear an urban myth.