Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Exchange rate Can $ to CUC

does anyone know the rate of exchange to change Can to CUC in Cuba right now. We are leaving for Guadalavaca this Sunday
thx

The Banco Metropolitano website has been down for about a week now, but if you budget a round figure of $100 CAD = 70 CUC then you’ll be fine. So long as you’re exchanging at a bank or a Cadeca the real exchange rate will a few CUC better than that.

We just returned from Varadero this past Saturday and at the airport, we paid a 25% exchange on our Canadian money, at the resort it was much higher at 33%.

I changed $140 at Bandec Sucursal in downtown Varadero on Jan. 13 and received 102.39 CUC (1 CUC = 1.36732 CAD). (I kept the receipt this time!)

We arrived at Holguin airport on January 12th where the exchange rate was 1.33. The next morning at the Sol Rio cadeca it was 1.36 then later in the week 1.40 then 1.42 on January 18th then back down to 1.40 on the 19th. We exchanged 140$ on the 18th at 1.42 and got 98 cucs.

Holguin airport this morning we received 140 CUC for $200.00 Canadian.

[quote=@martian]The Banco Metropolitano website has been down for about a week now, but if you budget a round figure of $100 CAD = 70 CUC then you’ll be fine. So long as you’re exchanging at a bank or a Cadeca the real exchange rate will a few CUC better than that. [/quote]I just came back from Cayo Largo where I was getting that or a little better at the front desk. :smiley:

I found the airport rate to be better than the hotel rates

Spunky,

1.) The best exchange rate is a bank.
2.) The next best exchange rate as it any Cadeca.
3.) The next best rate is at the Airport Cadeca.
4.) The worst rate is over-the-counter at any hotel or resort because the rate is not regulated by the government.

On an all-inclusive holiday then the difference between Options 1 - 3 is immaterial.

If you’re an independent traveler or a long term visitor then exchanging at a bank is the only sensible option.

I am not going to be spend much money this year in Cuba
Probably just a couple bottles of rum

I confirm that the banks are better. But the resort was better than the airport.

If you have to use the airport or resort, don’t exchange too much at first, then plan a day trip near a bank (ie Varadero or Havana) and do most of it there to save a few bucks

does anyone know if there is a bank nearby the Melia Habana in Havana ? are banks in Cuba opened on Saturdays ???

I’m pretty sure there’s no Cadeca on site. I don’t remember seeing one. There’s loads of banks and Cadecas in Havana though so no worries finding a place to exchange your money. And yes, Cadecas are open on Saturdays.

Also, your hotel is on 3rd and 80. The Banco Metropolitano has a branch on 5th and 112 so it’s fairly close to the hotel. The bank has cash services on Saturday between 8:30am and 3:30pm.

Your concierge will be able to confirm all this…

There’s a BICSA in the Miramar Trade Center in front, a Banco Metropolitano on the corner of 5ta y 84, the main BFI at 5ta y ninety something.

I have no idea if any of them have Saturday service.

Cadeca in the Hotel Riviera on the Malecon.