Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Favourite Varadero Resort

Hello all!

My husband and I would like to go to Varadero in April. I have been once (stayed at Arenas Doradas in Dec 2004, which was ok), but it will be his first time.

Just wondering what your favourite resorts were? Most important things to us are cleanliness, friendliness, good food, and a comfy bed!

Thanks!

There was a similar thread not long ago that might help a bit.
http://debbiesreviews.proboards88.com/index.cgi?board=Cuba&action=display&thread=8137

We really liked Sandals Royal Hicacos and I would definitely return. The adult-only atmosphere was great and the restaurants and bars were really, really good. Iberostar Varadero was also nice, though I’d probably take a chance on somewhere I haven’t been before first, just for the sake of trying something new.

Hopefully the one we’re booked at… in 30 days! :stuck_out_tongue:
Ibero Playa Alameda
1rst time in Varadero area.

[quote=@ellejay]Hello all!

My husband and I would like to go to Varadero in April. I have been once (stayed at Arenas Doradas in Dec 2004, which was ok), but it will be his first time.

Just wondering what your favourite resorts were? Most important things to us are cleanliness, friendliness, good food, and a comfy bed!

Thanks![/quote]

Out of the 3 we have been to in Varadero, Blau Varadero was our favourite. Smaller resort, more intimate setting, food was very good, entertainment, staff, overall experience were awesome. IMHO, this place encompassed everything you mentioned that was important to you.

[quote=@buznbro]
Out of the 3 we have been to in Varadero, Blau Varadero was our favourite. Smaller resort, more intimate setting, food was very good, entertainment, staff, overall experience were awesome. IMHO, this place encompassed everything you mentioned that was important to you.[/quote]

buznbro: is the Blau Varadero a tower-type structure?

IBEROSTAR VARADERO hands down for me as most of you already know ;D
Soon time to head back. I’m getting excited!!!

Jackie

Ours in order, but the differences between them is minimal

Brisas Del Caribe/Hotel Villa Cuba
Hotel Barlovento
Tuxpan
Cautro Palmas
Breezes Varadero

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!
Iberostar Varadero looks very nice, but it’s a little more than we’d like to spend…
We’re looking at Sandals Hicacos, mostly because it’s adults-only… any strong opinions against? By the way, anyone know how far up the peninsula it is? Like I said, I’ve stayed Arenas Doradas before, so does anyone know if it’s closer to or further from town in comparison to Arenas Doradas?

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Here’s a good map showing the locations of all the resorts.
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=23.1788305&lon=-81.1908531&z=15&l=0&m=a&v=2

Thanks cubavistor, I’d been looking for a good resort map of the area!

Hi

My internet explorer can’t open that site. Any idea why?

Dim

Sandals is a great resort in Varadero, located about half way up the penninsula just past Blau Varadero and just before Iberostar Varadero. It fits all of the criteria you were looking for.

I’m not having any trouble loading that map, but it is now four or five years old - it shows dirt where the Blau and the Iberostar Varadero should be.

i’m with Jackie. …Iberostar Varadero…okay, it’s the only one I’ve been to… :slight_smile: 2 more sleeps…yahoo

For the best long walks, the Barcelo Marina Palace has a 1.5k walk to the tip of the Hicacos peninsula and the entrance to Cardenas Bay … and a 2.5k walk in the other direction past 3 other resorts. Buses and golf carts to bring you back if you need.

Food and staff are great. Rooms and beds are fine. The large lockable trunk in the room is a welcome touch.

[quote=@ellejay]We’re looking at Sandals Hicacos, mostly because it’s adults-only… any strong opinions against?
:)[/quote]

I’ve not stayed there but relatives of mine have and they thought it a great resort and highly recommend it. In the unlikely event we should ever decide to stay in Varadero (too busy for our tastes), Sandals is the resort we would choose. They, also, liked the Tryp but it’s not adults only.

Sandals is the best!

I just got home from seeing my travel agent… Sandals Hicacos, April 23-30 is booked… 48 more sleeps!