Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Fido and Rogers no travel packs for Cuba

Today I had chat with Fido customer support and they told me that they do not offer anymore travel packs to Cuba. Everyone who wants to use data on the phone or text message or perhaps to talk on the phone while in Cuba has to pay full price. No more travel packs for Cuba. I asked customer support why is that as before you used to have travel packs. Answer was that Cuba is communist country under embargo and they can’t offer travel packs. I did not have any more questions after that. I went on rogers website and checked if they offer travel packs for Cuba and I found out that they do not offer any travel packs for Cuba. Do you buy travel packs with your phone provider when you travel to Cuba?

Telus has some fairly decent packages…

Cheers,
Terry

I used the Telus $40 package on my last trip and was pretty happy with it. (Telus also has a neat feature…anyone can text you for free from an online site. Very handy!)

[a href=“http://mobility.telus.com/en/ON/send_message/”]Telus text[/a]

Bell has some really good travel packs for Cuba.
Story here:

That’s really upsetting. I’m with Fido, and I am sometimes rather careless with my phone in Cuba. Especially for work related calls. I have been ravaged by their billing department many times. I vowed that I would get a plan next time… and now you say they don’t offer them anymore…

My last time in Cuba, I was there for a long time and I had the good fortune of getting a Cuban cell phone. As foreigners, we are not permitted to own a line, only rent them (about 3cuc per day). But I had somebody buy me a line under their name. Best decision ever. I could make calls to my Cuban friends as much as I wanted, and it was not painfully expensive (still 35 cents per minute, but texts are cheap… about 9 cents I think). If you are making calls to others on the island I highly recommend renting a line in Cuba, or getting a Cuban friend to buy you one.

But the problem comes when you want to call back to Canada… Prices are coming down, but are still painfully high. I might look into getting a bell or telus phone next time, if they are the only ones offering Cuba plans. Thanks for the info Admin.

this IS really strange as I have been texting Cuba for many months now with no additional costs as I have international testing (Rogers) and this week my phone had an issue ! Es Rogers! and the fellow said something similar… too weird! His comment - noone has a package with Cuba as Cuba won’t deal with anyone…

Just found this on the Fido site, at the bottome of this page (scroll down to access the prices):
[a href=“http://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PrepaidPlans&forwardTo=prepaidPlans&service=longdistance&lang=en”]http://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PrepaidPlans&forwardTo=prepaidPlans&service=longdistance&lang=en[/a]

[i]Premium Destination Roaming Data Passes - One-time fee

Applicable destinations: Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica, Cruise Ships.
Experience this worry-free option for using data services while roaming.

Real-time text alerts sent directly to your phone will keep you informed about how much of your pass you have used (text alerts are free of charge).
Built-in cut-offs ensure no more overage fees and complete cost certainty
Day and Month options are available for a one-time fee.[/i]

What’s really weird is that in French, Cuba is on the list of destinations, but not in English!

something is very odd . I texted my contacts last night just to say Hi…lets see if I get any unexpected charges…

Hi Canucks your free international text messages will work no problem and you will not be charged for sending text from Canada to Cuba. Your phone will work in Cuba as well but you will be charged premium price if you text once you are in Cuba or use your data. I used to buy travel packs and save on data and text. For example I would buy pack for $70 where I would be able to send 100 text messages and have 50 megs of data now we can not buy that anymore. We have to pay premium price 75cents per text and $15 per 1 meg of data.

So far I found that for Cuba the best option is Virgin mobile they offer 200 megs of data for $100. Thank you all for your suggestions and if you have more suggestions please let me know as I need data plan on my trips to Cuba.

thanks.

[quote=@realhavana]
My last time in Cuba, I was there for a long time and I had the good fortune of getting a Cuban cell phone. As foreigners, we are not permitted to own a line, only rent them (about 3cuc per day). But I had somebody buy me a line under their name.[/quote]

Do you know if I rent a line as tourist can I have data plan on my phone and how much is data in Cuba on Cuban cell phone? I can have Cuban phone anytime no problem but they can’t have internet on the phone right!?

So far only email , no data !
I use bell pkg and other than a bit pricy it works great for me on my iphone.
I buy the txt & talk plus the 200mb pkg
Lenny

[quote=@bicycleman]So far only email , no data !
I use bell pkg and other than a bit pricy it works great for me on my iphone.
I buy the txt & talk plus the 200mb pkg
Lenny
[/quote]

That is what I was looking to buy with Fido but they do not have it anymore. I will check bell but to me it looks like there are 2 sides. Bell, Telus, Virgin mobile and they give travel packs while other side Rogers, Fido etc they stopped giving travel packs.

Telus has worked well for me every trip down there…for phone calls, data and texts. Prices are quite reasonable for packages with them too. Once of the cheapest the last time i checked.

Very strange that Fido/Rogers doesnt offer anything? But they make lots more $$ that way, so maybe not so strange!

[quote=@monctonguy]Telus has worked well for me every trip down there…for phone calls, data and texts. Prices are quite reasonable for packages with them too. Once of the cheapest the last time i checked.

Very strange that Fido/Rogers doesnt offer anything? But they make lots more $$ that way, so maybe not so strange![/quote]

I guess they realized that people who travel to Cuba will text or use data anyway to contact family members or check social websites and post photos and that way customers will pay much more than buying travel packs. Yes you are right telus has nice travel packs with nice amount of minutes to call back home, text messages and nice amount of data.