Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

FINALLY going back to Breezes Jibacoa!

Well, I think it’s been 10 years since my last visit there. I have been meaning to get back but have ended up going to other areas in Cuba instead as I always like to try new places.

BJ still looks pretty much the same from the pics I’ve seen. Hoping to get the ocean view building that I SWORE I would request if I ever returned there. I tried to book a Tropical Suite but was unable to through Nolitours as it’s for a single occupancy. I guess I don’t need all that space though. Out of the 6 places I’ve been to in Cuba BJ has been my fav. Hope it hasn’t changed much!

Leaving the husband and child to fend for themselves for the week for some much needed R&R. If anyone has any tips, fire away as I know places can change quite a bit over the years.

I leave 3 weeks today!

I’m sure you’ll find changes after a 10 year absence :). The landscaping will have matured substantially, there’s a new & improved Ranchon, a renovated lobby, etc, etc. I’m sure you’ll still find familiar faces working throughout the resort, though. Good luck getting an upgrade to the ocean view buildings. I would guess, at this time of year, the resort won’t be full, especially that category. Have a great time. We return in February :slight_smile:

Lucky you, SLB! Have a wonderfully relaxing time sans hubby and child. :wink: I believe the pool area has been refurbished. You will still experience the great service and food at Martino’s, that’s for sure. And the piano bar remains a good place with Andy and Hector making the drinks. They have new shirts which is a nice change. lol Enjoy your trip-it’s coming very soon! :smiley:

Thanks guys!

Steffiej, I’ve booked an Ocean View - I wanted a TS but was unable to book it through Nolitours and had to book through them so I could be on AT rather than Canjet. I’m fine with what I’ve booked but would have preferred extra room…not that I really need it for one. I never book a base room and try for a free upgrade - it’s not worth the disappointment and I’d feel a bit silly asking for something I haven’t paid for, but that’s just me. I’d rather just book what I want from the get go.

I saw the pics of the new Ranchon and it looks VERY similar to the old one, which is good!

I think Hector was the one I used to like getting my mohitos from! Would be great if it was the same guy as he made a mean one!

Also since you’ve been there is that there are 2 small Hot Tubs - one either side of the steps from the pool down to the sea. The large one has been removed. The Ranchon is bigger and better ! More seating top and lower level, all protected. A new house for the Manager has been built so he’s there now 24/7. Every year there are upgrades being done. The Resort was obviously almost new when you were there last so expect some changes. Most of all, though, enjoy your week. The countdown is on for our return but Feb. 9 seems so far away !!!

next sunday for us…two weeks…but who is counting…me…lol.

[quote=@sarahleebones]Thanks guys!

Steffiej, I’ve booked an Ocean View - I wanted a TS but was unable to book it through Nolitours and had to book through them so I could be on AT rather than Canjet. I’m fine with what I’ve booked but would have preferred extra room…not that I really need it for one. I never book a base room and try for a free upgrade - it’s not worth the disappointment and I’d feel a bit silly asking for something I haven’t paid for, but that’s just me. I’d rather just book what I want from the get go.

I saw the pics of the new Ranchon and it looks VERY similar to the old one, which is good!

I think Hector was the one I used to like getting my mohitos from! Would be great if it was the same guy as he made a mean one![/quote]

We’re like you…we know what we want and are willing to pay for it rather than be disappointed. See my pm explaining how the suites are booked through tour operators/travel agents.
The Ranchon style hasn’t changed but the building and seating is new. As for Hector, I believe he’s moved to America since we were there in February. Andy is still in the piano bar, to my knowledge.

The farm road has been paved :slight_smile: and makes for much easier walking. There are a couple of little restaurants that have opened along this road if you want a break from the resort.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Hector left in June I believe, many of the original animacion staff are long gone along with a number of bar/restaurant staff and recepcion staff. :’(
There’s a massage hut on the beach between the watersports centre and the Ranchon. :smiley:
The Ranchon is no longer an a la carte at night, nor do they have dinner service by the pool once a week anymore. They do have a returning guest cocktail party once a week, usually up in the Piano Bar.

The farm road was paved back when I first went there 11 years ago, there were more pot holes than pavement mind you. :-/ The re-paving happened because the brothers Castro made a visit to the Cuban Campismos down the road a few years back and is a vast improvement!

Good to hear they have finally finished the GM’s house on site! :smiley: David and Caridad still go home to Cardenas on the weekends I believe, but will now stay in the house rather than living in a tropical suite during the week when they are there.

As for the new shirts, we may like them but I can tell you that the male staff absolutely HATE wearing pink shirts…and who can blame them really?!

[quote=@karmadoc]
As for the new shirts, we may like them but I can tell you that the male staff absolutely HATE wearing pink shirts…and who can blame them really?![/quote]

That’s hysterical. I would never have classified the shirts as ‘pink’. To me, they are multi-coloured with a little pink in them. ;D Maybe they should adopt the phrase, “Real men wear pink!” :wink:

pink is the first colour you see…lol the men do hate them…

We just returned from BJ yesterday. Contrary to popular opinion, we saw that the Manager’s house has not been finished.

Some of our favourite staff have left, but we have met a few new servers who are doing a great job.