Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

First time to Varadero.. please advise

solo travel to varadero…where to stay? relax, great beach, walking distance to town, no kids, 4*…really nervous about airport, money exchange, safety in hotel etc.
would it be wise to leave my designer logo luggage/ carryon at home?
just need to escape, and want to feel safe…
thankyou
note: age 40, travel in feb/mar

If you didn’t specify “walking distance to town” I would suggest Breezes Jibacoa, as it meets your other criteria. I don’t know the Varadero resorts at all…that said, Varadero will be a better choice if you want a long white beach to walk on. Are you locked into the idea of Varadero, or would you consider other areas of Cuba? (I travel solo all the time…I have never felt unsafe.)

Stop worrying about safety. Use normal common sense and for a resort tourist Cuba is as safe as anywhere in the world.

Your designer luggage will be fine.

Money exchange is the very same as most foreign destinations. Exchange your Canadian Dollars into the local currency, Cuban Convertible Pesos. Read the FAQ at the top of this forum for more info…

varadero was suggested to me for the beach and the town…have never been to cuba. thankyou for your advice anything would be helpful.

Just like any place you might go whether it be in Canada, U.S. or Mexico I for one do not wear any expensive jewelry around or walk with it anywhere. In fact it is very wise just to leave all of it at home.

[quote=@fourolive]varadero was suggested to me for the beach and the town…have never been to cuba. thankyou for your advice anything would be helpful.[/quote]If proximity to a town is important to you, then perhaps Varadero will have what you need. If you want a more “authentic” Cuban setting, the Guardalavaca resorts (Holguin) might be a better bet. But if you just want a great beach and a relaxing holiday I would recommend Melia Cayo Santa Maria. :smiley:

Try Breezes Varadero. Wonderful beach, Adults only, great staff. Not too far from town.

Melia Las Antillas (and if you go, PLEASE PM me!

We just returned from the Blau Varadero and I would feel MORE than safe if I was staying there on my own. It is designed more like a Hotel so all rooms are inside the building, has elevators and the grounds are beatiful. They offer bus shuttle to Varadero, where again, you are more than safe. Also have the cuban taxis for you to us. I think you would LOVE this place.
Stephanie :slight_smile: