Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Fishing Varadero

Do you require some form of permit inorder to fish around a resort? I was thinking of packing a protable rod and reel, grab a few shrimp from the buffet and try my luck.

I wouldnt even bother bringing the rod and reel back home. Im sure it would make a great gift for somebody.

Another quick question: I was thinkning of packing some sharp culinary knives, multi tools and fillet knives to give away as gifts. Will I run into problems with customs?

[quote=@lowkey]
I was thinkning of packing some sharp culinary knives, multi tools and fillet knives to give away as gifts. Will I run into problems with customs?
[/quote]Can’t help you with the fishing, but I’ve taken multi tools, steak knives, pocket knives, fillet knives etc. with no problems…in checked luggage, of course!

No permit or licence is needed to fish in Cuba. When I asked that question, I received the strangest looks from the Cuban Council General. He thought it very strange to require a licence to fish in the ocean. I take down tons of fishing gear and it all gets “lost” in Cuba. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I’m taking down spear guns this time. I can see the headlines now…
“Great Canadian White Whale Harpoons Himself” HaHaHaHa!!!

Thanks for the info Guys! Im also looking to mis-place my gear before the trip comes to an end :wink:

I will be staying at the Barcelo Marina Palace. I looked at the demographics surrounding the resort on google earth, and the area looks great for shore line fishing!!!

Hey all: I’d love to see some fishing pics, stories and tips if you have any.

Here’s a forum link by tourists fishing in Cuba. Some of these folks are pretty serious about it. There is recent unhappy chat about a prohibition on do-it-yourself fishing in Cayo Largo, Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo

http://www.cubamania.com/cuba/forumdisplay.php?f=93

This thread is specific to Varadero adn so far seems more positive:

http://www.cubamania.com/cuba/showthread.php?t=23778