Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Food in Dominican Republic

What if your favorite food in Dominican Republic. Do you have special dish that you eat once you are in Dominican Republic? Do you go and eat in local place or only in all inclusive hotel?

Living here I have lots of opportunity to sample the food.
My favorites are:
Sancocho soup (5 meat multi veggie stew)
Goat Stew
yucca fritters.

bobk

The best meal I’ve had was at a restaurant in Las Galeras and it was chicken skewers and fries. Tasted especially yummy.

As for resorts, not sure why but the ice cream is always a hit (unless you end up with prune flavour)

Love Sancocho soup - have had it twice this trip… once at a Quincenaros on Jan. 19th and at her Grandmother’s birthday on Feb. 12… both were excellent.

Have also had pig roasted on a spit twice this trip - both wonderful… Jan. 30 at a wedding on the beach in Costambar and, in Los Canos de Maimon at a friend’s 50th birthday party on Feb. 16th. The flavours of the fresh roast as well as the seasonings that are used are sooooo good!

Gotta go with BobK on the Yucca Fritters as well.

Yes add roast pig to my list as well.

bobk

[quote=@bobk]Living here I have lots of opportunity to sample the food.
My favorites are:
Sancocho soup (5 meat multi veggie stew)
Goat Stew
yucca fritters.

bobk[/quote]

Mmm have to try some of those. Yucca frita I tried in other countries such as Cuba and Panama but did not try it in Dominican Republic. So you live in DR? How long you live in DR and where if I might know?

[quote=@dot]Love Sancocho soup - have had it twice this trip… once at a Quincenaros on Jan. 19th and at her Grandmother’s birthday on Feb. 12… both were excellent.

Have also had pig roasted on a spit twice this trip - both wonderful… Jan. 30 at a wedding on the beach in Costambar and, in Los Canos de Maimon at a friend’s 50th birthday party on Feb. 16th. The flavours of the fresh roast as well as the seasonings that are used are sooooo good!

Gotta go with BobK on the Yucca Fritters as well.[/quote]

So I guess I will have to try Sancocho soup as I never tried before. I love stew and this sounds excellent. I had roasted pig in different countries and I find in Cuba that pig skin is bit thicker is that the case in DR as well?

To answer your questions. We have lived here on the north coast (Between Sosua and Cabarete) for almost 8 years on a full time basis.

As to the pig skin it is not all that thick and roasted and fried it is VERY good and certainly not very healthy.

bobk

Empanadas prepared on the street corner.

lionfish off the shore in a cute lil cafe in Bayahibe

Love lion fish and eating them helps protect the local reefs. Some of the restaurants now feature this fish on the menu a special. Lots of the local dive shops catch as many as they can and then sell them to the local restaurants.
I broiled some at home the other day and sooooo good.

Bob K

i didnt realize they are edible as they are poisonous and fairly small,

good to know I wil give them a try next time

thanks for the info

Actually they can get pretty big. Only the spines are poisonous. Yes you should try them…very good tasting.

bobk