Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Front desk tip when checking in?

I know in Las Vegas, and other North American cities you can try to tip the check in agent and sometimes they’ll put you up in a nicer room if available.

Does the same logic apply in Varadero? Or are rooms strictly controlled, and some what preassigned by your tour operator?

Thanks,

Can’t wait for Cuba.
Sinecure

They are preassigned because of the large amount of people showing up at once, but if you do not like your room, they might be able to move you to another room the next day, depending how busy it is, we did it at Brisas Del Caribe , I don’t remember ever seeing tipping

We always give chocolate and other sweets. You seem to have more direct relations with the people on the front desk. And it doesn’t hurt to be nice…

Ditto what BJ says. We always bring a special gift to the lady who assigns the rooms at our hotel but you couldn’t do this if it is your first time. A box of chocolates for the front desk staff does do wonders.

[quote=@bj]We always give chocolate and other sweets. You seem to have more direct relations with the people on the front desk. And it doesn’t hurt to be nice…[/quote]I usually bring chocolate and try to locate the person who assigned me my room (I email ahead with my preferences) I don’t ever give a “tip” ahead of services rendered…this makes it a “bribe” IMHO. ::slight_smile: And I agree that it doesn’t hurt your relationship with the front desk to show appreciation for good service…if it is deserved. :smiley:

I don’t think of it as a birbe, only as a little treat. Just as I would give the gardener, the bartender, etc…

I’ve thought if it a few times, but it’s hard to be discreet with so many others waiting to check in.

The rooms are generally already pre-assigned in advance by the rooms manager and his/her staff based on the tour operator.

The front desk staff usually just carry out the registrations according to the list they have been provided with.

Nice to give a little something like chocolates to the front desk staff for excellent service (ie: currency exchange) as the week progresses, but they aren’t the ones who made the room allocation decision.

I’ve never seen anyone tip an employee working in reception and I have to agree that it would be difficult to be discreet plus there is usually more than one so what do you do…tip them all!! If you are looking for an upgrade, those same workers aren’t the ones to do it for you. As stated by others, you are going to have to speak with the reservations manager; be prepared to have to pay for the upgrade, though. You might luck out with a free ugrade but more likely, not. As for the box of chocolates…a great treat for the reception workers who are the front line dealing with the good, the bad and the…well, you know ::).