Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Getting away from AI option

Hi all, just a quick message to let you know that I got brave and moved away from the AI Hotel option on my last break and I was very pleased with the result. I know it is not what everyone wants and I was a little unsure how I would get on but as I have many good friends (English and Dominican) living in Puerto Plata I was sure they would look after me and they did.

I rented one of three properties know collectively as ‘The Three Sisters’ They are in their own little plot of land secure behind gates and with a night watchman. My property had three double bedrooms, one with en-suite bath and shower room and the other two sharing a bathroom, downstairs was another single bedroom with shower/toilet room attached and another toilet also available downstairs. Big living and dining area with kitchen, small garden and a couple of small balconies. You can also sit on the roof and watch the world go by.

I was joined in the property by a couple of my English friends and their children and we had more and more Dominican friends as the days went on, feeding 9 adults and two children one evening and 12 adults two children another. (including three local Police officers!)

I know this may not be everyone’s idea of a holiday but I really enjoyed the freedom to have my friends with me whenever I wanted without having to pay for a Dayticket from the hotel. If anyone wants more details please feel free to send me an email or PM. I have already tentatively booked my next stay in the same house in October!!

Cheers and apologies for slightly longer than intended post!! Amandalou :-*

As you know Amanda - we did a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo for a month in Costamber last year and again this year… we loved it! It was not as large as the house you had but, we did not have as much overnight company. It was nice being able to invite friends over and having a home-cooked meal.

Both times, the last 2 nights we went to the Gran Ventana to get pampered before returning home but… did not enjoy it as much this year as other times… missed the “open” beach and not having to “mark” a lounger early to make sure you had one…

We are talking of going for 2 months next year - hopefully the same condo.

We have rented a condo the last 2 years as well and really enjoyed it. Having company over and not having to pay for a day pass and have them leave by a certain time was great. Have no problem taking the gua gua into town or heading to the beach. Really never ate enough to warrant an AI but I must say having someone make the drinks was a bonus! However, love renting a lounger at Sosua and there is always a smiling face to bring me a cold one!