Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Getting close!

So I have 3 more working Tuesdays before I head off to the CRT.

I want to take a poll of the #1 thing I should see while I am in the Tulum area. And rate, everything after that.

Help is greatly appreciated as I get down and dirty in to the finalizing of my vacation.

Heck, I think I might even get my suitcase out.

Thanks!!

Deputy

I know the feeling. We leave Jan1. Half the fun is waiting to go, because the time goes by so so fast when you are vacation.
Definitely go to the Tulum ruins. If you like beach and nice little snorkel area, just go south on your beach to the beach in front of the old Club Maeva. Someone asked a little while ago about the best beach. This beach is up there on my list. Watch out for rays in the waters edge. They can sting you real bad. Not their fault you might step on one.

CRT has a free bus that goes to Playa del Carmen twice a day, in the morning and at 5:00 pm ( I can’t remember ), go in the evening when it is cooler and lots of music.
Buy any tours you want there , on 5 th ave. The cost is less and it is the same thing.
Xcaret is a good tour from what I am told , and Xel-ha is good IF THE WATER HAS CLEARED UP !!!. It was pretty murky when we were there but if you want to swim with the dolphins etc it is expensive.
Tulum ruins are good if you get a good guide. We had an older guy and he was great . He told us lots of history stuff and really brought all to life.
The tour you will like the best is the sit in the hot tub with a half dozen drinks tour.
Make sure you bring home a liquor called 43 , and buy it at the duty-free at the airport as you leave. Bring as much back as you can . This stuff is so good you will forget to breathe.

:slight_smile: Although it was an all-day trip, we really enjoyed the Coba tour. We got to climb the ruin, had some great guides telling us about the history of the ruin and the Mayan people. :-*

The day trip into Playa is nice for the walking around and shopping, but very hot, so lots of beer breaks required ;D. Knowing the Deputy, an evening visit would be a real blast as the town lights up for the nights ;). A trip to Akumal beach will kind of remind you of “Coconuts”, as you can sit at the beach bar and enjoy a cold beer after your snorkel. Some of our group went to the Tulum Ruins (of course Jake was laid up “again” and couldn’t travel), but they had the same “old guy” who is like a history teacher providing loads more information than the standard “this is a rock” tour guide does.
Other than that, kick back, relax, leave your badge & side arms in your room and take that “Snap-On-Liver” out for a test drive ;). Do it up “Deputy Style” :smiley: ;).

Jake, eh

;D THANKS!!

I would like to see as many ruins as I can, and I am really a history buff, I love it, so a good guide would be fantastic.

In what order should I see the ruins? Or best to worst?

Renee where are you staying this time? I am happy to report that I will only be halfway in to my vacation on the 1st!! YAY!!

Deputy

If you have not been to Chitzen Iza you should, It is a long day trip but definately worth it.When we went 2 years ago we had a Marvelous guide,It was absolutely spectacular!!

It does not matter, all of the 3 big sites are very good. The nice thing about Tulum is you do it on your own and really cheap that way.
We are going away for four and half weeks. Back to Bucerias, condo on the beach! After that, where ever a seat sale is. The all inclusive thing is just not that appealing anymore. Reminds me of the pigs going to the trough for food. You eat too much and look like one soon after. Some of the lesser star hotels serve food that all tastes the same and the alcohol drinks just awful. Maybe its just me that thinks that way.

I have to agree with you there. After years and years of AI, I have found that I am researching much more non-traditional persay.

I have been looking in go going back to Costa Rica, and will not be doing an AI, although they don’t have many, I am finding that my best cultural sampling is done on my own, and with small local places, rather than the mega.

What better way to give back to a country, than giving it to the local area?

Thanks for the info on the 3 big ruins. I am looking forward to it very very much. I seem to get lost in history, and love thinking that i am standing in the same spot that someone hundreds of years ago did.

Deputy.

Tulum also has the beautiful beach for taking a dip if you get too hot and dusting during your visit. Always nice to have the option to cool down on a hot day. It would be great if you could manage to land the “old guy” as a guide ;).

As far as the AI resorts go, I’ll have to step to the left on that one :). Not all AI’s are big mega resorts, they can be small or big. It’s nice to get up in the morning, run through the shower, quick rub of “pit stick” and you’re off to the buffet for a quick breakfast and then on with my day :D. Easy works for me on vacation, gooder than always having to figure where to go for the next meal. I like going in town for a change of scenery a couple of times over a two week stay, but for me, I like the AI concept. If going to an AI resort means I have to trade my “snap-on-liver” for a “snap-on-snout”, so be it…the oinks get my vote ;D ;D ;).

Jake, eh

[quote=@jake]

As far as the AI resorts go, I’ll have to step to the left on that one :). Not all AI’s are big mega resorts, they can be small or big. It’s nice to get up in the morning, run through the shower, quick rub of “pit stick” and you’re off to the buffet for a quick breakfast and then on with my day :D. Easy works for me on vacation, gooder than always having to figure where to go for the next meal. I like going in town for a change of scenery a couple of times over a two week stay, but for me, I like the AI concept. If going to an AI resort means I have to trade my “snap-on-liver” for a “snap-on-snout”, so be it…the oinks get my vote ;D ;D ;).

Jake, eh[/quote]

The only problem with that is a seemingly small AI resort in one location, gives way to a bigger chain some where else. I have been at some small AI’s, that belong to HUGE gianormous mega chains. ;D

It’s all in what ya like. I think what Renee is getting at as well as how I think, your not really giving back to the locals in an AI, because that AI is owned by some international billionaire, that has more money than he can wipe his butt with.

Don’t get me wrong, its nice to wake up and give way to all the food and drink you can imagine, but if I did that every vacation, I would never find my 1.00 coronas now would I? ;D

Heres to 3 more working Wednesdays before vacation ;D

Deputy :smiley:

I’m guessing a “Huge gianormous mega chain”, would be a pretty big chain, especially if the owners are using “bucks for butts wipes” :D.
I know what you mean about putting something back into the community, but I like to do that when I come out of my secluded cave of an AI and venture into town and share my hard earned earnings with the locals…and trust me, if we ever meet up for some of those $1.00 Corona…you’ll see some serious giving back ;D ;).
In the long run, it’s what makes you happiest that counts. For me, I work all year to get this trip, so I like to go and enjoy what I like…good food & drink along with good company. Yes both are available at the big or small resorts, it just so happens we like the activities and livliness of the larger resorts. I can sit by a pool and read in my own back yard, so why bother going away for that? I don’t have a beach bar & grill out there (yet) and my buffet isn’t always open either :D. So for now, I will follow my nose (and liver) to the trough and say “fill’er up, eh”.
To each his own, just my opinion, oh and my “oink” ;D :wink:

Jake, eh

[quote=@jake]It’s nice to get up in the morning, run through the shower, quick rub of “pit stick”

Jake, eh[/quote]

:slight_smile: You actually do that when you are on vacation?!!? :o :wink: :-*

Deputy - Coba is the only ruin you can climb now. Our guide told us that would most likely change in the next couple of years. We found the stone steps down to be quite well worn and slippery. But it was extremely interesting.

Unfortunately it is an all day trip unless you find a way to get there on your own (hire a driver, take a cab or rent a car).

We chose not to go to the Tulum ruins mainly because we had a fabulous beach at our resort so that wasn’t a “draw” for us at the ruin (besides, we’ve got “our” beach in Cuba and will be visiting it in a few short months ;D) and if we were going to see a ruin it may as well be an “interactive” one. :-*

:slight_smile: Oh, and I may get “slagged” for this one but we took the collectivo to Playa del Carmen and couldn’t wait to get back to the resort. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe we didn’t find the right “street” to visit but we weren’t impressed. :frowning: :-*

As a matter of fact shirleyujest, I have been known to do the “pit stick” thing up to twice in one week. Although, you can always tell if I have the shakes in the morning, I end up looking like a referee with all the stripes ;D :wink:

Nice way to slip the “our beach” thing in there, but I’m sure the information regarding the ruins will be appreciated.

As far as PDC goes, we like going in for luch and a “few” beers along the way, but getting back to the resort is kind of like coming home. We always go for two weeks, so a couple of days away from the resort is nice, but it’s always “gooder” to get back at the end of the day, sit back and relax with a shot of Tequila and a tall glass of rum & water on ice, before putting on the feedbag ;D ;).

Jake, eh

My 2cents. Playa del Carmen is not just 5th Avenue. If you walk around on the various streets there are other places to go to and other things to see. Try it next time.

Very good point terry, there is so much to see and do, and it’s just a couple of blocks from 5th Ave. You can get much gooder deals on the back streets too, as many of the vendours out on 5th Ave, buy their products from the back street people. You’ll get to see the “real people” of PDC if you venture off the beaten path…may be a little communication problems, but you will do just fine.

That’s how we ended up at a Wal-Mart, trust me, that isn’t on 5th :wink:

Jake, eh

We went to 5 th ave. and stayed there because my internal compass was getting screwed up . The last thing I wanted was to get lost in PDC. Trust me, I would have. My only way to get back would have been to leave a few drops of rum on the sidewalk as a trail. The thing is , tho , that there are bars all over so my internal detector would have been confused.
There is a lot in Mexico to see and we will be going back , perhaps next Nov. and we don’t really like shopping unless it is for essentials like liquers and bikinis.
I have heard a lot of good about Coba so that will be a must-do next time.

:slight_smile: We didn’t even get to 5th Avenue. We were dropped off on some street by the collectivo and walked around. We found Wal-mart. Then we walked back to where we were dropped off to get back on the bus.

However, the highlight of the trip was in some sort of town square where they had a giant Christmas Tree, with a giant Santa and a lovely Nativity scene set up. :-*

I am starting to get excited now…there is always so much that I want to accomplish on vacation, but only manage to do a couple.

I really do like mingling with locals, so thats just a given. I always seem to find the shops that are completely out of the way, and those are the places that I love the most. The only thing that I buy every time I go on vacation(in a different country) is a wooden or clay mask. That is my one for sure buy. Other than that, its all about finding small family run places to eat, and to drink beer.

Deputy