Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Gifts for kids, housekeeping, etc?

I have never been to Cuba before and was wondering if I should take small gifts for children, housekeeping, etc. If yes what should I take? I do not want to insult the people there.

In general tip in CUC for good service, gift only to people with whom you’ve developed a relationship and direct your generosity/donations through the proper channels.

In other words on your first trip there’s no need to be handling out stuff willy nilly to people you don’t even know. Take time to learn something about the people and the culture and if you return you’ll be much better educated as to what is and isn’t appropriate.

Tranquilo and enjoy your vacation.

And kudos to you Brenda for asking the question in the first place instead of showing up with Santa Claus Syndrome with no respect for the local customs/culture.

There are lots of repeat visitors to Cuba who still don’t get it and continue to put their own egotistical need for self glorification ahead of what is best for the local community where they’re visiting as a short-term foreign guest.

As a first time visitor to Cuba, the most appropriate thing to do is to tip with money- specifically CUC (Cuban peso)- when you feel you’ve gotten good service from an employee. Please don’t tip in advance to get good service and don’t tip with foreign currency, especially not with any coins.

Leave the gifts at home! No need to burden yourself with the extra weight in your luggage nor the quandary of what might be suitable for people you have never met.

Enjoy your vacation!

“martian” So spot on!
Tip when receive servics not to get it and gift to friends. And also important to remember you are not in Fort Smith and the monthly salary is approx 15 - 18 cuc or CDN $'s so if you leave a $5.00 tip at dinner you have just dropped one/third their monthly salary on the table. While tips are NOT REQUIRED the typical 1 cuc seems to be at the resort often seen on a table after a meal . Depending on your chamber maid 1 or 2 cuc per day is adequate.

Thank you for the advice. What about excursions, my sister wants to go horseback riding on the beach, my brother wants to go to a cigar factory and I am a nature photographer and I am game for just about everything. I can’t find any info from sunwing

Where again are you going?

I think it’s Memories Paraiso, Cayo Santa Maria.

Memories Paraiso, Cayo Santa Maria

You aren’t likely going to find any horseback riding on Cayo Santa Maria, but I believe there is an excursion that features it. Not likely on the beach, however.

http://www.cayosantamaria.info/jeep-safari.html

Cigar factory on this excursion:

http://www.cayosantamaria.info/santaclara-remedios.html

And this one might be good for photography…or any of them, for that matter:

http://www.cayosantamaria.info/forest-adventure.html

I know the mood here is to not gift, but if you are really looking for a good gift for the maid or favourite female staff member, a box of tampons is a real treasure. You cannot find those things anywhere! (Seriously! And you don’t wanna mime what you need!)

If you collect shoppers drug mart points, you could get a few boxes free on a redeem-your -points day. I also get polysporin (crema antibiotica), children’s aspirin or liquid tylenol. I do not believe health care gifts are patronising or will ruin culture. A jar of maternity vitamins? Pure gold!

Thanks for the info! Keep it coming

Good suggestions Eloisegirl! Anything like that for children and babies is really appreciated.

[quote=@eloisegirl]I know the mood here is to not gift, but if you are really looking for a good gift for the maid or favourite female staff member, a box of tampons is a real treasure. You cannot find those things anywhere! (Seriously! And you don’t wanna mime what you need!)

If you collect shoppers drug mart points, you could get a few boxes free on a redeem-your -points day. I also get polysporin (crema antibiotica), children’s aspirin or liquid tylenol. I do not believe health care gifts are patronising or will ruin culture. A jar of maternity vitamins? Pure gold![/quote]

Not being a medical professional I can’t say but there have been threads on various forums saying “tampons” can cause problems for those not used to using them.

Best IMHO to play it safe & just take money. :slight_smile:

[quote=@catraveler]
Not being a medical professional I can’t say but there have been threads on various forums saying “tampons” can cause problems for those not used to using them.[/quote]
Yes, toxic shock syndrome. Mostly associated with high absorbancy tampons left in too long…it would be due to a bacterial infection. If you know the person you are supplying with these products, and know that they are familiar with proper use, I don’t see it as a problem. It must be difficult for the dancers to manage if they must use pads.

I am not sure if tampons are not to be had in Cuba, or are just difficult to obtain. Perhaps someone knows?

ibuprofen is highly sought after at medical centres
the miracle drug for aches and pains, especially arthritis

Taken as a prophylactic, Ibuprofen, first thing in the morning allows many people to work pain free all day. Great for minor pains and early problems from arthritis.
Remind your friends to do some stretching exercises before heading out for the day.

Yup take Ibuprofen & have a stroke.

Sure hope no one is using this forum for medical advise.

Sometimes I pick up supplies in the US as they have Spanish on their packaging. Definitely (for non-tampon users) they always include instructions and explicit warnings about TSS. TSS first occured in the late 1970s with the release of Rely tampons, which comprised superabsorbent foam bits. They were so absorbent that women left them in a little longer than the recommended 3-4 hours (but part of the marketing led you to believe that was okay). Once women began dropping dead from TSS, the product was removed from the market and all products, no matter who the manufacturer, post warnings about TSS.

And that, children, is today’s hygiene history lesson!! Coming soon: A short history of hair removal. :wink:

While I think bringing medication of any type to a clinic is a wonderful thing to do, I would hesitate to give anything to an individual. With many medications, there can be contraindications if they are taking other medications that you wouldn’t be aware of. This can cause major health problems. Unless you know what their illness is and what other meds they are on AND you are a doctor or nurse (even then I would not), I would refrain from giving even simple drug as Tylenol - especially if it’s for a child. Give to a clinic, they will know how and who to give it to.