Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Give me your stray and mange mass stories

Greetings all. The Spanky Project is looking to develop a project beyond Havana.

I’m collecting recollections of strays / ferals at resorts.
My goal is to set up a humane population control at a receptive resort.
Do you know of a resort over run with animals one day and none the next.
Have you witnessed the dog catcher at work? What did you think of the methods?
Do you have a story where a resort is handling strays / ferals in a humane manner.
These collected recountings will be used in an effort to promote humane population control.
A presentation will be made to Cuban officials and resort management.

Cat Cafes and Doggy Diners … away from the general resort population.
An animal population controlled through spay and neuter.
A healthy population vaccinated, wormed .
Guest are requested not feed the population(except in designated areas at designated times)
A program supported through donated funds and supplies.

I would be happy to accept your replies here via personal message or at
losgatos@spankyproject.org

Was at the Iberostar Daiquiri on Cayo Guillermo Feb. 27 - March 6. Saw a tabby cat at the ranch restaurant on the beach (begging for food). It looked relatively healthy. I imagine it gets lots of scraps!

Later in the week saw a skinny black cat in the beach bar/evening a la carte restaurant on our resort. It came in begging for food while we ate. It had patchy hair and scratched alot.

Car to tell us a bit more about the Spanky Project? I know Spanky from the forum but this is the first I hear of the project.

http://www.spankyproject.org/

http://www.spankyproject.blogspot.com/

This year I noticed what appeared to be quite a few stray dogs at the Guardalavaca beach (Holguin). In previous years there were many cats on the resort but I had not noticed any dogs. One of the dogs try to participate in a ball game on the beach. After the game my son asked me to buy water for the dog; which the dog appreciated. On another occasion I offered food and then water to the dog, but he wasn’t interested in. What he really wanted was affection which I happily gave him.

I’ve witnessed cats living in small holes or borrows (like rabbits) on the lawns of Oasis Brisas in Santa Lucia. I was really surprised of the amount of ferals after the hurricanes that year. One would think that strays would be one of the first to suffer in large numbers. But there was a healthy population at Brisas.

Thank go to those that have taken the time to leave a comment here or via PM.
Keep them coming.

No real personal experience but there was a posting or two on a review of Cameleon Villas Jibaboa about a year ago where the “dogcatcher” dealt with a dog right in front of the tourists on the beach. It upset many and some moved out of the hotel immediately. I don’t know whether the review was here on Debbie’s or on Travel Advisor, but it shouldn’t be hard to find.

I think what you are doing with the Spanky Project is to be commended. If there is anyway I can bring something down from Halifax to help you out, please let me know.

Hi radar

Great initiative!

I don’t recall much cats or dogs from our first time at Breezes Jibacoa… then for the last tree visits, it feels like a cat invasion. The few dogs seem to stay mostly on the beach. Last may, there were puppies… I was guilty of feedind and giving them water… as many others… we even made sure someone took over when we left… sorry. I did not see those puppies on our following visit.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Good Luck Radar. Cat Cafe’s are the way to go. Make them part of the resort experience!

Update on Jibacoa. There were getting to be quite a few dogs (several of whom appeared mangy) hanging around. The dogcatcher made a visit last week. Far fewer dogs around now. Don’t feed them, people. You are de facto signing their death warrant by enticing them to stick around…

We have seen several cats and dogs during our stays at Jibacoa, some in surprisingly good condition and others very obviously flea ridden and mangy. Some very friendly, and others very timid having obviously experienced abuse at some point.

Sadly we did see the dog catcher at work during one visit. We didn’t actually see him catch the dog, but heard the yelps and saw him carrying the dog by his hind legs. We have no idea what happened to the dog after that, although we did have our suspicions. :’(

I believe the Jibacoa resorts would definitely benefit from the project you are describing radar.

I was there the end of March and first 12 days of April. There was a sweet little dog at Cameleon with a bad left front leg. He would follow behind people limping as best he could. I saw him the first couple of days there and then no more. I suspected that he got picked up by the “dog catcher”. I just hope it was quick.

On a brighter side, there was a Quebec couple who were taking home a dog from there. One of the bartenders had been taking care of her until the Quebecers could make arrangements to come down and take her home. I saw her the day she was headed home to her new home. She looked very happy and was a very friendly and playful dog.

All in all there were probably 5 or 6 dogs and three cats or so at Cameleon. There were 4 3-4 month old kittens around but someone said that someone took all four to take of them. I don’t know if that was true or not.

I hope that the spay/neuter program is put in place in Jibacoa. Please post if we can be of any help Radar.

Creditable effort but it makes me think of all the lovely animals needing loving homes right here in our own country…why go so far afield instead of helping out right in your home town? Perhaps she should have visited her own animal shelter or SPCA and taken a look at the sad little faces looking for someone to love them. :’(

Charity begins at …
Still, it’s hard to say no to a face like that.

Hey Radar, what’s the cost per day of a Vet in Cuba who will travel to, and work out of Jibacoa for a week?
I’m guessing $8.73 per Debbie’s member who loves the area, eh?

[quote=@steffiej][quote=@drg]

On a brighter side, there was a Quebec couple who were taking home a dog from there. One of the bartenders had been taking care of her until the Quebecers could make arrangements to come down and take her home. I saw her the day she was headed home to her new home. She looked very happy and was a very friendly and playful dog.
[/quote]
Creditable effort but it makes me think of all the lovely animals needing loving homes right here in our own country…why go so far afield instead of helping out right in your home town? Perhaps she should have visited her own animal shelter or SPCA and taken a look at the sad little faces looking for someone to love them. :’([/quote]
Well they did have three other dogs so maybe they are doing their part in both countries. I hear what you are saying though.

A couple of years back, we noticed TONS of cats at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. Many roamed freely around the site (fed alot by us guests) and for the most part looked healthy. Lunch hour around the Ranchon beach restaurant was like Cat Grand Central Station! We are cat lovers so did not mind, but some guests who were allergic/phobic complained to management. I’m wondering if the situation has changed…

Perhaps someone who’s gone there lately can give u an update.

And oh, thanks so much for caring! :-*

[quote=@spunky]Charity begins at …
Still, it’s hard to say no to a face like that.

Hey Radar, what’s the cost per day of a Vet in Cuba who will travel to, and work out of Jibacoa for a week?
I’m guessing $8.73 per Debbie’s member who loves the area, eh?[/quote]
Thanks for the continued postings to this thread.

Spunky … how many Debbie’s members love he area? ;D

I am not a big supporter of rescue and relocation to countries outside of Cuba.
For the cost of doing a “rescue export” you could spay / neuter a lot of animals.
Spunky for that $8.73 I can have a dog spayed and wormed. :wink:

For those that say charity begins at home … I say there are beaches in Canada and Europe etc. why leave your home country?.

Radar, Charity is where the heart is.

cool site:

www.cozumel-hotels.net/yabbse/index.php?PHPSESSID=766cadb387aa81d28ee77b8764e9ba06&board=34.0

too bad we could not start something like this for Cuba