Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Gran Ventana - couple of different Q's

I’v gotten a lot of info on this resort from the forum but I wanted to find out a few different things.

Does anyone know the difference between the Superior Rooms and the Junior Suites?

I’m wondering if it’s really worth it to take a more expensive pacakge for a suite, it seems like I can get a fantastic deal with the Superior but I’m a little scared of “you get what you pay for” - I’m a little nervous that I may end up in that one building to stay away from. Would the Saona or Catalina have both room types?

First time to the North side…does the beach have any waves or is it pretty still? Is it smooth on the ocean floor like P.Cana or is it shelly? Are there any activities on the beach?

Do you have to pay an extra fee for the in-room safe? I thought I read on Signature’s listing “charges may apply”?

This may have already been answered but what is there to do after dinner? Any music to listen to or to dance. We don’t go to discos, we are usually back in our room by 10-11p.

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

i don’t know about the rooms, but in-room safes cost $30 (i think!).

We were there last week and asked to see a junior suite; I wasn’t really all that impressed. The suite they showed us was in the Saona building; our room was in the Catalina but I would imagine they would be the same in both of these buildings?
Instead of the two bubble beds there was one king. It’s still all one room, a little larger then the superior room more square then rectangular. It had a fairly large coffee table with two sofa type chairs; rather then the small round table and the cushioned sitting chairs of our superior room.
It had the same size of patio (balcony) as the others but there was another large window that did let in a lot more light; which in itself made the room feel bigger.
It was nice but in my opinion not worth the extra money. If the bed room and sitting area were separate; I think I would make the up grade but maybe I was just expecting too much?

Dan

We just got back for the first time from GV so I’ll try to answer your questions - I’m sure the more seasoned visitors will add or comment!
We were given a Junior Suite, even though we paid for a Superior room. From what I found the difference is there is more room in the Suite (sort of sitting area but VERY uncomfortable to sit at as there were cushions on a cement couch) and a coffee pot. We did end up in the Beatty Building (we request one of the other two buildings) in a North inside room overlooking the pool and found it quiet. Occasionally we heard the night clubs but they did not keep us up.
We found the beach to have winds/waves every afternoon.
After dinner - won’t comment as we are in our room each evening from a very tiring day of laying on the beach! :wink:
A note about the coffee pot in the the junior suite (this was important to us) - we ended up rarely using it as there was a coffee station in the lobby that had coffee and hot milk available. I filled the carafe and took it our room for our morning coffee.

[quote=@maacinom] We did end up in the Beatty Building (we request one of the other two buildings) in a North inside room overlooking the pool and found it quiet. Occasionally we heard the night clubs but they did not keep us up.
[/quote]

What nightclubs are you talking about…you mean on the resort?

I have never stayed at the GV but I have stayed many times at the sister resort The Victoria. I personally don’t think it is worth spending $$ to upgrade when you spend so little time in your room. I have stayed in a superior room at the Victoria and it is quit sufficient.

From reading the forums I have heard that depending where your room is you can hear the noise form the bars in the plaza. The GV abuts the plaza.

Now as to what rooms are the quietest, I don’t really know. I have walked through the grounds many times and I would request something closer to the beach. I think it might be quieter. You don’t have to be on the beach which might be more $$$s but just one building off and at the end closest to the beach.

When ever I go on vacation to a new place, I leave my bags in the lobby, take the key and go and check out the room. If I am not happy I come back to the desk and ask to be moved.

PS

Room safe are $14 US a week. At least that is what they were at the Victoria (sister resort)

Close, it’s the Beata Bldg. The other two are the Saona and Catalina. Saona was renovated in 2007, Catalina in 2008 and Beata will be reno’d this year.

The night clubs are the one’s in an near the Playa Dorada Plaza, especially the Roadway Lounge which is just across the road from the Beata Bldg.

Gregg

Just note about GV - there are no irons/ironing boards in the rooms. I usually use one to help dry out a few hand washed clothes…probably not important to most people!

Signature vacations are offering a “dine around plan” - if you upgrade to a junior suite, you can dine at the Victoria Resort as well. Not a bad idea…

I’ve used the Gran Ventana laundry many times. We were just there for 3 weeks from Jan. 15 to Feb. 5.

We sent out a sport shirt and bermudas (actually almost 3/4 heavy pants) of my husbands and a pair of bermudas of mine - the total was 145 RD pesos - approx. $4 US or $5.25 CDN. We had put them in the laundry bag on our bed when we left the room at 8:30am… the items were on hangers in a laundry sleeve in our room when we came back from the beach about 4pm.

I don’t iron at home (well maybe once or twice a year) so, never think about it on holidays. I do know that some people have called housekeeping and an iron and board have been delivered to their room so, they are available if you need one.

Re: dining at the Victoria - we have been to the Gran Ventana 8 times and, haven’t made it over to the Victoria to eat yet… we did use their beach bar for lunch twice in 3 weeks this time though. The Gran Ventana has an excellent variety in the buffet and, 3 a la carte’s in the evening which you can access without the upgrade to Jr. suite.

Thanks all for the info…it does help tremendously!

Any other input from anyone is still great too… :slight_smile:

[quote=@dot]

Re: dining at the Victoria - we have been to the Gran Ventana 8 times and, haven’t made it over to the Victoria to eat yet… we did use their beach bar for lunch twice in 3 weeks this time though. The Gran Ventana has an excellent variety in the buffet and, 3 a la carte’s in the evening which you can access without the upgrade to Jr. suite.[/quote]

different strokes for different folks I guess…we have been to the GV 4 times and the Victoria once and I couldn’t imagine NOT going upstairs to the Victoria for supper to wrap up the stay …and the Ceasar salad at the Victoria beach restaurant is worth every single step down the beach from the Gran Ventana…might be one of the best Ceasar salads I’ve ever had (anywhere)

well, I take it from another “repeat” visitor to the GV that it is a good place to go…and I LOVE ceasar salads!!! Thanks Jimmy!