Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Gran Ventana Question

HI!
Does anyone who has been to the GV recently recall if they have champagne available at breakfast for mimosas? Also, do they still have a “house band” that plays in the evening before the show in the theatre starts?

thanks!

Just back from the Gran Ventana on Feb. 5. We did not see any champagne available at breakfast. It was available for purchase at the a la carte’s at supper but I do not know the price.

Our first trip to the GV was in 2001 and we have been there 8 times now - never knew they had a “house band”… They do have live bands from time to time at the night shows but the only time I remember a band other than a regular show was during Holy Week 2006. They had a band in the late afternoon (approx. 3pm) on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

[quote=@pepsi12]HI!
Does anyone who has been to the GV recently recall if they have champagne available at breakfast for mimosas? Also, do they still have a "house band" that plays in the evening before the show in the theatre starts?

thanks![/quote]

We just got back on the 15th of Feb and did see a large table with a champagne bottle on it during breakfast…looked to me like a pre wedding celebration…not sure if it’s part of the wedding package or not, but I’m sure there is a cost associated with it.

as far as the house band…never heard or saw one.

I guess the pre-show live group is what I was referring to as the “house band”. Our last time there was in 2001.

So Dot, since you have been there 8 times since then - can you tell me something else? Are you a beer drinker? The other times we have been they only served Presidente at the swim-up bar and the bar near the theatre. I think they served Soberana or something at the other bars - at least it had a different taste. Is this still the case?

We have very fond memories of the Gran Ventana and are looking forward to returning. As I recall, the daytime activities i.e. games, etc were a good laugh and the food was excellent!

Sorry - I’m not a beer drinker - stick mostly to Brugal Extra Viejo but I know that they do NOT serve Presidente at any of the bars in the Gran Ventana anymore. I think someone said it was Bohemia that was on tap and Quisqeya (sp?) is in the fridges. My hubby does like Presidente and opened one of the beers in the fridge - I think he poured most of it down the sink!

I finished uploading the latest pix into Webshots so you can see some of the changes that have occurred at the hotel. The last time you were there, the beach bar was very tiny and to the left of the Ocean Grill if standing on the beach looking toward the hotel. It is now where the seating area used to be on the right hand side.

They do still have the games around the main pool and seem to have more on the beach as well.

The food is still excellent and, the new head chef used to be at the Iberostar Costa Dorada - the GV stole him away a few months ago!

Just returned last week from the GV. My 10th visit already to this hotel in 3 years and i will return in May again. They do have a live band about two times a week, but this is instead of the show and not before the show. There is also 1 time a week a karaoke.
Only with special occasions there is a real band playing close to the pool. Last year they had a guy playing keyboard from 7.00 till 9.00 pm, but I did not see him anymore in the last two weeks when i was there.
Food is still fabulous and you can order with guest service a bottle of champain for breakfast. We did it once for a birthday.