Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Grand Oasis Marien - people getting sick?

Has anyone heard anything about people getting sick while staying at the grand oasis marien in puerto plata? I have read more than a few reviews in tripadvisor and people have been reporting that they have gotten sick and thought it was related to food poisoning. Anyone hear about this or know someone who went…it seems to be people travelling the last week of february into march

I wondered the same thing and from what i’m reading it sure sounds like a flu bug hit the resort. It’s too bad that the resort is being put to blame for this when nobody is really sure what happened. Hopefully it’s all resolved by the time I go… Cause I can’t wait to go and have a good time.

[quote=@sunseeker2007]I wondered the same thing and from what i’m reading it sure sounds like a flu bug hit the resort. It’s too bad that the resort is being put to blame for this when nobody is really sure what happened. Hopefully it’s all resolved by the time I go… Cause I can’t wait to go and have a good time. [/quo

Does the Influenza virus even effect the Caribbean ?

???

[quote=@richardwilson]Does the Influenza virus even effect the Caribbean ?

???[/quote]
Yes. A virus is a virus …

A virus is a virus definitely and all it takes is one sick person onboard your aircraft with the air being constantly recirculated there is a chance lots of people can be sick.

The first thing they blame is the resort.

People tend to over indulge and drink lots of ice whilst on holidays. Over here we call it ‘Spanish Tummy’ but in reality a lot of it is self induced. It does seem to happen a lot on A/I holidays.

Actual food poisoning is another matter altogether though.

As for influenza,you just dont think of Influenza effecting people in hot climates do you…but apparently it happens

Can Ice cause tummy problems for some reason??

Depends how clean the ice is but over indulgence has given a few people I know problems in the past especially with the likes of shell food and/or slightly undercooked meat or poultry which they dont usually come across at home.

oh…the only ice I have is with my drinks…and I have lots of those…and havent had a problem yet… ;D

I was at the Oasis Marien in Jan and no problems. It actually had the hottest food in any resort buffet I have ever experienced.

2 trips south this year eh Greaseball?..The band must be treating you well… ;D

It always cracks me up when I read reviews and people scream food poisoning and blame the resort. You go on holidays and eat more in one day then you usually eat in a week at home and you drink more in one week then you usually do in a year at home. You do all this while sitting out in the heat that is hotter than what you are used to at home and eventually your body rebels so you scream food poisoning. A few years ago there was a virus whipping through the RIU resorts at the same time that the same virus was whipping through the schools and hospitals in Ontario. It was March break for Ontario schools at the time and most of the guests were from Ontario but people blamed the resort and again screamed food poisoning. All it takes it on person brewing something to get on your plane and infect the air that all the other passengers are breathing and then take that same virus to the resort and infect everyone else there.

Sunny, I couldn’t agree with you more! We just got back from the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. One day, we saw a group of folks who, we thought, had just arrived, and were whooping it up at the pool bar all day. A couple of days later I happened to be sitting near them by the pool, and one of the guys was saying how he’d been so sick the day before he still wasn’t sure he was ready to eat. The woman he was with immediately said, “I bet it was that chicken we got over at the beach.” I nearly fell off my lounge chair laughing!