Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Has no one been diving or snorkeling for so long?

I can’t believe with some of the avid divers and snorkellers on here that no one has been dipping their toes for so long… :wink:

I have been lucky and unlucky on recent dive trips ! I recently spent a great week in the Southern Red Sea a few weeks ago, diving around the South of Egypt and the Sudan…wonderful location, lots to see.

Here are a couple of images I took of everyone’s favourite Caribbean fish…Lionfish ! :wink: They are not an evasive species in the Red Sea so they are a little more difficult to photograph as they have natural predators…they are not so cocky as they are in the Caribbean. 

I hope to see some other underwater images that people have taken whilst underwater  :smiley:

An adult Lionfish displaying in the blue…

[img alt="" src=“http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/PacificState808/img_7936-21_zps1e2b6744.jpg” style=“max-width:100%;”]

This is a juvenile Lionfish, tiny in size, just a couple of centimetres in body length but with long feather like quills.

[img alt=" " src=“http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/PacificState808/img_7885-2-4_zps0f539d9a.jpg” style=“max-width:100%;”]

[quote=@wossa1]I can’t believe with some of the avid divers and snorkellers on here that no one has been dipping their toes for so long… :wink:

I hope to see some other underwater images that people have taken whilst underwater  :smiley:

[/quote]

We’ve just returned from Kauai Hawaii. Got some great photos of endangered monk seals and turtles as well as fish.

I’d love to share but I just can’t at this time. We use our photos for an environmental lecture series we do as part of our profession/business. Unfortunately, not everyone respects intellectual property rights when it comes to the internet and even watermarking our imagines hasn’t always been successful.

People do download imagines/photos they have not taken and claim them as their own. I found that out the hard way quite a few years ago when a sharp eyed guest at one of our lectures questioned whether we had taken a photo because she had seen it on another website. To say my husband hit the roof when he found out I had posted that photo in a travel forum would be an understatement!

One of these days, maybe when we finally decide to retire I’ll be able to share. One video I’m just dying to share is our compliation of the Jibacoa reef over the 8 years (2000- 2008) that we filmed/documented/studied the area. The degradation is just so very very sad!

Hi Wossa! Great to see you back!

I haven’t done a lot of travelling this year, and when I did I haven’t been lucky with good conditions for snorkelling. I did get one “special” picture in September at Jibacoa.

Courtship or territory defence?

BTW, I have ordered a GOPro Hero 3+, and would appreciate any tips you can give me. If it gets here in time, I think my BIL will take it skiing with him to Switzerland. If he doesn’t break it, I hope to try it out sometime this spring. :slight_smile:

Hi YVRck

Since I have been taking my photography a little more seriously I have seen a lot of ‘image theft’’. Even watermarking the image does not deter this problem as this can be cropped out or over edited. Personally, as my photos are only for pleasure, a few competitions and the odd magazine if I am lucky, I don’t worry to much…but if I relied on the image as part of my business then I wouldn’t post anything at all, it isn’t worth the risk of it being copied.

The video of the reef shot over 8 years sounds really interesting, must be pretty unique to be documented this way over a long period of time. I have seen so many reefs fall into degradation that the only way to dive the decent reefs are to dive from liveaboards. I haven’t dived from a resort for many years now, the last 5 years at least I have spent all my vacation time diving many miles out at sea.

The one thing I have noticed more than ever is the amount of plastic in the ocean, bags, containers, etc…so very depressing !

Nice to see you… :wink:

Eeeefarm, good to see you too.

That is an awesome picture, such a fantastic action behavioural shot with impeccable timing to get that image. That is really wonderful, the markings are great and I love the deep bright red of the open mouth…just a divine capture. You should think of entering this into a competition, I lucked out and won The Sunday Times Travel photographer at the end of 2013 with the simplest of dolphin images, you just never know !

GoPro are brilliant fun, they have really revolutionised affordable underwater videography, and the quality is really good. I prefer to take still images but I do sometimes take a GoPro with me, I will post some video tomorrow I have taken on recent dives…you will have great fun with it.

I was very lucky on that shot. Had just got into the water, only 20 feet or so off the beach in the shallows. I saw the fish, framed and focused as fast as I could, (couldn’t quite get it centered) and snapped it just before they broke apart.

In regards to photo theft, when I put pictures on line, I downsize them. The resolution is enough for a screen, but wouldn’t hold up well to print it. With the internet, not much is private anymore!

Here is a small bit of video of some of the diving I done over the last year, mostly shot on a little GoPro…I hope the link works, this should give you an HD option as well if your streaming is good.

http://warrens.smugmug.com/Travel/Some-diving-memories/i-swXf2Mx

Really enjoyable video, thanks!

How do you mount your GoPro, or do you hand hold it? Also, I believe they can take stills? How does that work out?

I’m really happy Debbie’s is having a revival. Trip Advisor is so sterile, with no ability to post pictures.

I mount my GoPro in various ways, sometimes directly onto my BCD as in the pictures below…I then just leave it running and carry my handheld camera for stills.

[img alt=" " src=“http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/PacificState808/IMG_2860.jpg” style=“max-width:100%;”][img alt="" src=“http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/PacificState808/IMG_2861.jpg” style=“max-width:100%;”]

Now I prefer to attach the GoPro to the tray of my stills camera as this gives me better control on composition of the GoPro. Either mounted directly onto the red tray handle or there is a small tripod mount on top of the actual housing which you can just make out above the Ikelite badge.

[img src=“http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/PacificState808/7DC_zpsa14f3fcf.jpg” alt=" "]

I have never used my GoPro for stills, but they do take decent images. You can also do time lapse and slow motion stuff as well…

I have tried to take frame stills from a video…they are not quite so good but they are ok-ish :slight_smile:

Here is a short GoPro film I took last year whilst diving with Great Whites in Guadalupe…

I then tried to capture some stills from the frames of the footage…kinda worked a little but you cant edit like you can with a RAW file.

[img alt=" " src=“http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/PacificState808/image0011_zpsfadef5d9.png” style=“max-width:100%;”]

Interesting video, and your still capture from it looks pretty decent. Not sure where I would mount the camera for snorkelling. I’ve seen some neat videos taken on a cross country course (riding/jumping) with a helmet mounted GoPro, but I don’t wear a helmet in the water. :slight_smile:

There is loads of variations of mounts and you can adapt them for almost anything. I use Eye of Mine for some cool mounts that are hard to find and the rest you can get from Amazon…for snorkelling I would hand hold too.

http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/category_s/1477.htm

Thanks for the link!

I bought a GoPro after seeing your Manta’s in the feeding dance you posted a couple of years ago. A great investment. Great for stills too.
If I recall, you had it attached to a long rod holding it behind the boat?
Beautiful images and good to see you around.

Here is what one competitor at Cayo Largo was using:

[attachment id=“118” thumbnail=“1”]

I shot that with a GoPro too, LOL

[quote=@spunky]I bought a GoPro after seeing your Manta’s in the feeding dance you posted a couple of years ago. A great investment. Great for stills too.
If I recall, you had it attached to a long rod holding it behind the boat?
Beautiful images and good to see you around.

Here is what one competitor at Cayo Largo was using:

[attachment thumbnail=“1” id=“118”]

I shot that with a GoPro too, LOL
[/quote]

Hi Spunky

You have a good memory, I had forgotten the Mantas feeding at the back of our boat…amazing night !

http://warrens.smugmug.com/Maldives/Maldives-Diving-2011/i-G6ZmGxc

I hope to get back to the Maldives next year, I haven’t been for a couple of years and I would like to go back.

That’s some kit the guy has as Cayo Largo…I’m sure getting spare parts must be a nightmare for these guys…

Nice to back on Debbies and amongst fellow GoPro’ers…lol.

Wow love that GoPro setup. I’ve got an Intova Sport HD. Used it for the first time in November. Did get a bit of Video but the idea of being “handsfree” is very attractive. I think I need a Red Filter for it too to get my colour back below 10m.

I have received my GoPro, and I’ve been playing around with it. The Hero 5+ has wifi, so I’m using an iPod touch 5 to set it up and see my pictures. A little challenging to take stills blind, although with practice it can be done. I realize GoPro’s are generally worn or mounted, so framing the picture is usually impossible, but it’s nice to have the option. I’m trying to figure out a way to mount the camera on my dog. I think that would make for an interesting video!