Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Heading back to Cuba

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Can’t wait to go diving with my new camera…

CLUB AMIGO CARISOL CORALES here we come!

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

What did you use before the new Olympus Tough?
Wossa is the reason I have a GoPro.

Make sure you post some pics ald1 ;D

Spunky…have you had a chance to use your Gopro yet ?

My GoPro is my everyday camera. A GP Black is calling me…
Anyone want some hardly used DSLRs? ;)LOL
Here’s 3 GoPro seasons :sunglasses:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104246493099548849081/GoPro?authkey=Gv1sRgCITfmKLI1svb7gE

GP black is also calling me too… ;D

I have a few months before I am diving again but I am sure the GP voices will win by the time I go. The new housings look fantastic.

Hope you have a great trip! My Canon D 10 is gathering dust, not water, and I am insanely jealous! :wink:

Just being able to use my phone to program it is worth the upgrade. The little LCD is a pain.
Does a cc50r correction in Photoshop work as well as the “on camera” correction filter of the same value? Are the new GoPro uw housings flat?

It’s always far better to do a custom white balance in the camera, if your camera will do that, than to correct in PS with a jpg. The other option is to shoot raw, once again if your camera will do that. With a raw image, you can correct in PS or Lightroom colour corrections via K (Kelvin) and not lose any of the original colour character. Simply adjusting colour in PS via colour balance, will alter it. May be a moot point as most cannot tell the distinction or see the difference.
Anyone follow that??? ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

As most don’t notice the difference between film and digital. I love digital for the convenience, but any purist will argue that film is far superior. (analog phones have much better voice reproduction than digital to my ear, but again, it’s the VHS vs Beta argument, isn’t it?)

Yes, I enjoy my vinyl records, too! :smiley:

The new GoPros don’t do RAW yet, do they? So a red filter and the 1 full shutter speed loss is the trade off. Or maybe a redish LED light source.

Sorry eeeefarm… really we are :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue: :-* :-*

Sent you a PM for information on the CACC.

thanks
ald1

[quote=@wossa1]Make sure you post some pics ald1 ;D

[/quote]

Hope to do that upon my return Wossa; I have to find a way to post without sharing the whole album in Photobucket… I might have to use / create an account in picasaweb just like Spunky did.

Can’t wait to to try my new camera…

PS. Went out and got the accessories for the fish eye lens for my new TG1.

Can’t wait for it to come in; it’s on backorder and I hope to get it in before February

[quote=@spunky]What did you use before the new Olympus Tough?
Wossa is the reason I have a GoPro.[/quote]

Here is what I used: it’s for sale if you like what you see. :sunglasses: :wink: :slight_smile:
I also have a Go Pro and I luv it… great camera above and below the waterline. still using it; but would probably sell it since I got a Fish eye lens to fit my TG1.

Camera for sale: hopefully I can do this on the forum :o :o :-* :slight_smile: :sunglasses:
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Scuba-diving-underwater-camera-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ443264134

It’s always far better to do a custom white balance in the camera, if your camera will do that, than to correct in PS with a jpg. The other option is to shoot raw, once again if your camera will do that. With a raw image, you can correct in PS or Lightroom colour corrections via K (Kelvin) and not lose any of the original colour character. Simply adjusting colour in PS via colour balance, will alter it. May be a moot point as most cannot tell the distinction or see the difference.
Anyone follow that??? ::slight_smile: ::)[/quote]

trying to … still learning how to bring out the colors in PS…

I definatly use White balance when diving; I have a white board and always balance when I change depths. :)… however still learning an loving it ! ;D ;D :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

I don’t do underwater but I would raise saturation in the camera to give you better colours. If the white balance is set correctly on the camera, there should be no need to adjust any colours in PS.

It could be that WB changes from where you are setting it to where you are shooting. As you say, it will change at different depths as the water will act as a greater filter as you go lower. From the little shooting I have done underwater, the difference can be startling. Another factor is that setting WB ‘in the field’ can sometimes cause wrong settings. I’ve had that happen. All it takes is a small section of the sensor field to see something other than the white board to cause this.

One answer we used to use is to adjust your white board if you are consistently off colour. IOW, if your photos are always blue, try switching to a slightly blue colour for the board instead of white. Your camera can’t tell and the resulting balance will be slightly red (opposite) and closer to correct.

Years ago, I switched to a manual Kelvin setting as it removed the errors from bad readings. That takes a bit more guessing but the results in the end are far more consistent. Most cameras don’t have that option though.

If I were doing underwater, i would switch to raw files and process the images in PS or LR and it will solve the problem altogether. Sometimes the extra work involved in achieving perfection takes the joy out of photography. It’s a certain ‘fun to be techie’ personality that enjoys both.

FWIW, my underwater shots look like crap but when I’m on holidays, my good cameras stay home. I don’t like to mix work with play. While in Italy in Oct., almost all my photos were shot with my Galaxy phone. ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

Amen dax. I’m teaching my iphone to pretend it’s a Lunasix F when I’d be better off teaching it to be a Colorsix. Then again, I’m not dunking it under to get a reading. LOL
I’ve been using Olympus E410 and E620 with Nikon lenses and am spoiled by the great semi auto metering but will have to brush up on my sunny 16’s if I switch to basic Nikon bodies so I can shoot video too. Then retire the GF-10. I love cameras.
RAW is best but I remember seeing a chart, years ago, that gave cc#s for each foot of depth UW.

Ald1 - a fish eye lens !!! That is awesome, I love my fish eye, it’s just a great lens for experimenting with, you can get some fantastic wide shots etc…now I can’t wait to see your pics when you get back !!

For underwater pics, I always shoot in RAW all the time, manual WB as well, the whites have to be bang on the money for it to be a decent picture. I just use the palm of my hand to set the WB rather than carry a slate, it’s just another thing to carry. The most important thing for me is always composition of the picture, if you mess up the WB etc, you can generally correct it via LR or PS. Composition is key, the subject must be looking at you (majority of the time), at least facing you, light source coming in from the right direction, I don’t want bubbles in the picture, or another divers leg (that’s why I dive alone ;D), might sound a little OCD, but I would rather come out with one nice picture, than 20 crappy ones.

Here’s an image of a little clown fish in a white anemone I took a few weeks ago…it’s taking the time to get everything to come together. I sat with this guy for almost an hour until he was in the right position for a milli-second to capture this pose…it’s great fun but also frustrating ;D

Back to the GoPro, I prefer to take still pictures, but I carry my GoPro on a homemade device attached to my BCD, and then hit the record on and off at various times on the dive and let it run whilst I am diving. I can easily disconnect it and hand hold if I wanted too and then clip it back on my BCD. Some pics below of how I connect it, it’s easy to make something like this and you can move it around your BCD to where it suits you best.

Below is some footage from my GoPro when I met some very inquisitive Silky sharks…does anyone know how you can take still images from this footage ? I am not sure how to do it ??? I would appreciate it if anyone knows.

(Second picture in after the dolphins, a little play icon is displayed in the middle of the picture)

You should be able to do that fairly easily. What the quality will be like, I can’t guess. I have a couple of programs that will capture a frame from a video. Both were included with items I bought, but I am pretty sure you can grab a freebee online. “Virtual Dub” will do that depending on whether the video format is supported…it works well with AVI, but I think GoPro is Mpeg.

Any of the “movie maker” type programs generally allow frame capture.

Just found this on a forum…check out reply #11, sounds promising!

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=16859.0

Holy Shnikes, dude, that shark video was amazing! They are like puppies of the sea, curious and playful. You even gave them treats! Did you touch them? What does their skin feel like?

The above photo of the clown fish has now been used by the BBC and published in February’s issue of the BBC Wildlife magazine ;D

(A copy of the magazine and the photo in print).