Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Help me! Resorts at the end of Varadero peninsula

I’m trying to work with a firm March 30 departure date with direct flight out of Halifax, and Air Transat seems to have the best prices for that configuration right now.

The resorts at the end of the Varadero peninsula, particularly Barcelo Marina Palace, Iberostar Playa Alameda, Tryp Peninsula and Sirenis La Salina, all seem to be relatively cheap. Any comments and comparisons would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

I have no comparaisons but I can say that I REALLY liked the Sirenis La Salina… The only downfall was that it is HUGE so lots of walking but there are golfcarts to bring you everywhere if that is even an issue… Other then that fantastic activity pool with a waterslidefun for all ages let me tell you We didn’t use the other pool… To quiet for us… Beach was awesome, the food was awesome, very nice staff ect. I really have no complaints for there.

Seeing that your from Halifax and having my family tell me of the snowfall there the other day I bet you are itching to get out!!!:slight_smile:

Well, it rained yesterday so at least the snow is melting BUT I AM DYING HERE!!! LOL! I am seriously thinking of a second career as a travel agent, with all the time I spend looking at / thinking about vacations!

I have a friend who is at SLS right now so I can’t wait to hear back from her as well about it. It does look very nice. Now, we tend to go for the “quiet pool” option so that is attractive to me. I am surprised to hear the resort is so huge, I guess the photos don’t really show the proportions that well. About that construction next door, do you know when it’s supposed to be done? Did it affect you at all when you were there?

Torah, I just read your reply in the other thread about the construction not bothering you. That’s pretty amazing considering it was right next door! Actually when we were at Sandals Royal Hicacos they were building Iberostar Varadero and we couldn’t hear that either.

[quote=@yhz]Well, it rained yesterday so at least the snow is melting BUT I AM DYING HERE!!! LOL! I am seriously thinking of a second career as a travel agent, with all the time I spend looking at / thinking about vacations!

I have a friend who is at SLS right now so I can’t wait to hear back from her as well about it. It does look very nice. Now, we tend to go for the “quiet pool” option so that is attractive to me. I am surprised to hear the resort is so huge, I guess the photos don’t really show the proportions that well. About that construction next door, do you know when it’s supposed to be done? Did it affect you at all when you were there? [/quote]

Well you are in luck! The quiet pool is indeed VERY quiet! It is a really nice resort and no the pictures don’t show the size of it at all… To be honest I thought the contstruction was to be done last year but I could be wrong so I have no clue about that… But we were housed right beside it and didn’t hear anything unless we went back to our rooms during the day. It didn’t even bother us then…You can’t hear it at the pools or the beach and they stop around supper…However you can see the cranes but that also didn’t bother us.

My family is up in Antigonish and they said it snowed then rained then snowed then freezing rain and on and on through out the night… LOL and that is why I only go home when its nice there!

Hope this helps!

Barcello Marina Palace is really nice. The prices in Varadero are crazy this year. $900 last year is $1600 this year.
Wished we booked early 'cause we ended up in a DR 5*? this year.
The beach walk from BMP to the end of the Hicacos peninsula is a must.
Hope to do it again next year.

Spunky, I hear ya. We could have gone to Paradisus Varadero for $1500 pp in March if I’d booked in the fall when the packages came out. I was greedy and right now same pkg is $1765 (that’s not happening, with 4 of us going). Not to mention that I was checking itravel2000, where that package would have been free for me out of Halifax except for taxes due to the Let It Snow promotion.

We are also checking the DR. I guess we’ll see. sigh

We stayed at SLS for 2 weeks last April really enjoyed it. It is a huge resort but we enjoyed the walking got to see all of it. Spent most of the time at the quiet pool with swim up bar.
We are going back on April 6, this year can’t wait to get away from snow & cold here in Halifax too.

Sorry can’t help with any advice other than the La Salina was great. Of course most of your responses are from other Maritimers who have limited options, but there does seem to be a good response for the SLS. Another observation, if you read the reviews, many seem to slag the SLS but most of the postings here are positive. Makes me wonder!!

well everyone has their own opinion… I didn’t write a review because I was to busy when I got back last year to do so…GASP I know…tsktsk… However I liked it there… But when I went last year there were all sorts of opinions on it…