Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise


Hi, I’ve looked at this site a lot in the past, but have only just joined. I’m hoping someone can help me!

I am looking to travel to DR and marry my Dominican Fiancee. I am so confused about the paperwork. They really don’t make it easy.

My Fiancee told me i can send him my documents to be translated ahead of my arrival (stupid me, listened to a stupid man!!)

After reading more online, i came to the conclusion that this is NOT the case.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I need to know if i can send my documents to the foreign and commonwealth office to be legalized, and then send them to DR to be translated and have them certified in the embassy in Santo Domingo, or if i need to send them to the embassy in London? I know i can have them translated by an official translator here in the UK, which is a liitle cheaper than it is at the embassy.

I’m unsure if these are rules that apply to two British people marrying in DR, or if it is the same when marrying someone from the country.

I have read that some people have had their translations done in DR, and he assures me it CAN be done. I also have two friends who married there. The man is Dominicano and the woman is Scottish. She told me that she sent her documents to be legalized and then travelled with the English copies and did everything there?

CONFUSED!!! If i could do that, it would be easier…and a whole lot cheaper.

Also, i am divorced, does anyone know if i still need a declaracion de solteria as well as my divorce certificate? ??? ???

Any help given will be greatly appreciated…i am pulling my hair out here!

Thanks, Nic

You should check with the Dominican Republic Embassy, they should be able to tell you what you need.

The following documents must be legalised:

  1. Complete Original Full Birth Certificate or an Official Extract including parents´ names ; and
  2. According to his/her situation:
    a) If never married: A Statutory Declaration, stamped by a Notary or Solicitor, declaring single marital status and eligibility to marry.
    b) If divorced: Decree Absolute and a Statutory Declaration, stamped by a Notary or Solicitor, declaring marital status and eligibility to marry.
    c) If widowed: Spouse’s Death Certificate, previous Marriage Certificate and a Statutory Declaration, stamped by a Notary or Solicitor, declaring marital status and eligibility to marry.
  3. If a name has been changed by Deed Poll or if the person has been adopted, proof of this must be presented.
  4. If the person is under 18 years old, parental consent is required in the form of an Affidavit stamped by a Notary or Solicitor.

• Statutory Declarations are to be declared per person (i.e. joint declarations are not accepted) and must include passport numbers, address and line of employment. A model Statutory Declaration can be downloaded from here.
• Statutory Declarations are valid for a period of three months from the date of issue.
• Divorced women cannot get married again until 10 months after the divorce is finalized, unless her new husband is the same man she divorced.

Procedure for legalisation:
Each original document (Document in English) must be legalised by both the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

  1. Documents must first be sent to the Legalisations Office at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Please contact them (www.fco.gov.uk) for further information about the procedure.
  2. Documents must then be sent to the Consular Section of the Embassy for translation and certification.

Translations and certifications:
All documents must be translated into Spanish and certified as true copies of the original by the Embassy. The fee for translations is £145 per document. If you already have had translations made by a registered commercial translator, the fee for their certification as true copies is £120. Please note that if you use a commercial translator, the Spanish documents will still need to be certified by the Embassy.

When submitting handwritten documents, please make sure they are clearly legible or include a note clarifying the difficult to read sections.

Please note that the fee for translations is separate from the cost of legalising original documents for marriage. Translations will be processed in seven (7) working days.

In cases of emergency, documents may be processed within 4 working days. They will be posted Special Delivery, as long as such an envelope is provided. There is a fee of £10 for this service.

We strongly recommend that once you get married in the Dominican Republic, you make a record of your marriage at your local Registry Office, for which you will need to translate your Marriage Certificate into English. Please refer to the “Legalisations and Translations” section of this website for information on how to do this.

You can now pay for the legalisation of documents online.
Pay for your documents now!
Consular Section
Embassy of the Dominican Republic
139, Inverness Terrace
W2 6JF

Tel: 0905 677 0054 (charges apply)
Fax: 020 7 727 3693
E-mail: info@dominicanembassy.org.uk

All information displayed is the copywirght © of the
Dominican Republic Embassy UK 2005


Thanks Hula,

I did read this, was just unsure if there was another way…guess probably not. I’d better get cracking eh lol :wink:

Thanks, Nic

Maybe since your marrying a man from the Dominican things are differant…I would think he would know what is needed for you two to be married…good luck…


[quote=@hula]Maybe since your marrying a man from the Dominican things are differant…I would think he would know what is needed for you two to be married…good luck…


Hula I think you are giving the large percentage of us men to much credit, hehe,

I would have no idea whats needed here to get married,

I dont think us men are intune with that stuff, like women seem to be,

I could be wrrong,

lol @ northernale1…hit the nail on the head there. A Dominicanos view…manana manana…then…oooops we are running out of time…how did that happen???

He seemed to think he knew what we were doing. Now i’m asking questions, and he’s like…oh…no se mami hahaha.

He’s going to check it out. Hmmmmm. Wish me luck folks :smiley:

How have you made out with your paper work?