Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Hepatitis A & B

If you are staying the local economy a Twinix vaccination shoud be taken. I contacted Hepatitis and was very sick for a week !

You were not sick with hepatitis if it was only for a week, you had the runs.

My vote is for runs.

My understanding is that Hep A may cause “flu like” symptoms (low-grade fever, muscle aches, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and fatigue) three to ten days before liver symptoms (jaundice) appear, assuming the jaundice does appear (not always the case). So, yeah, you might have a week of feeling very sick and then get the liver symptoms later. Every case is different. However, the incubation period for Hep A is 2 to 6 weeks, so if you did acquire it in Cuba, you might not realize it since you would likely be back home before becoming sick. (Conversely, you might get it at home and become sick in Cuba…and pass it on to someone else via the buffet table!) :smiley:

Since the transmission route for Hep A is fecal/oral, getting your shots (whether or not you are travelling) makes a lot of sense! Not everyone is diligent about hand washing (unfortunately). One reason I like to get to the buffet early…before it’s been “pawed over”. ;D

My B.M. went chalk white an I could not get out of bed for a week.

[quote=@yukonwolf]My B.M. went chalk white an I could not get out of bed for a week.[/quote]That symptom is consistent with any type of liver infection such as hepatitis.

My Doctor said that too.

It’s also consistent with “tourista”!

There are out breaks in Canada even
So I think everyone shot get the shot

[quote=@hollydog]It’s also consistent with “tourista”![/quote]I wouldn’t have thought so, at least not normally. Bile from the liver colours the stool, therefore absence of colour would indicate a lack of bile, so probably a liver problem, unless you’ve just had a barium enema (not too likely on vacation!) or are abusing antacids (granted, more likely!) :smiley: A lot of mucus in the stool could possibly make it appear white…that might occur with “tourista”.

Don’t know why I opened this thread while eating lunch, but I guess I got what I deserved.

I agree that everyone should get vaccinated. Its not like a sickness you can ‘naturally’ become immune to, at least not that I know of, without actually getting seriously ill.

;D ;D ;D

No runs - but everything sore - also had the shakes for duration - once I could get out of bed - went to Dr. and explained. He said you kicked it - do not worry. On next trip to Cuba I told family. They said everyone in Cuba has had it.