Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Holguin airport bottle of water 2 CUC?

My friend just returned from Holguin last night and she said that as she was waiting for the airplane to go back home she got thirsty and wanted to buy some water. Free shop did not have any water so she went to check bar … Bar had many drinks such as pops and beer etc and all drinks had price on it but 500ml water bottle. So she asked for bottle of water and lady they works there said pleas 2 CUC. She was shocked that bottle of water in the bar cost 2 CUC and price was not there so she did not know if she was ripped off for 1 CUC or that is the price. Any of you have similar experience in Holguin airport? I never paid 2 CUC for bottle of water in Cuba … usually that bottle is 50 cents in the regular store and in bars 75 cents to 1 CUC !

We’ll I think I’ve paid $5.00 for a bottle of water at the Toronto airport but would only pay $2.00 at the corner store down the street. It’s more about where you’re buying it.

Its a ripoff price but the water is 2 CUCs at the snack bar next to the duty free shop at the Holguin airport.

Most drinks are a rip off at Holguin Airport. Once through security you are a captive customer and they can charge you what they want. A Ciego Montero can of orange which is 50 to 60 centavos in most places in Cuba is 1 CUC at the Airport.

once you cross security … you pay the BIG $$$. So Holguin is no different. example one bottle of Water in most restaurants is about $1.50 and at the Ottawa or Montreal airport it’s about $3.00. No different.

In Cuba they have law that bars must have same price as other bars but I guess that once you pass customs it is different story. My friend did not like that price was not displayed for the water as it was for other drinks. Sometimes it happened to me in the cities or Cuban towns as they see that I am tourist they overcharge 50 cents or so but I tell them and I take my money back and zero tips.

Pure water a good deal at $ 2.00 - any airport.

[quote=@admin]In Cuba they have law that bars must have same price as other bars…
[/quote]Not sure what you mean… prices vary wildly between bars all over Cuba, same as anywhere else… perhaps I am misunderstanding something here?..

Cheers,
Terry

[quote=@cheersterry][quote=@admin]In Cuba they have law that bars must have same price as other bars…
[/quote]Not sure what you mean… prices vary wildly between bars all over Cuba, same as anywhere else… perhaps I am misunderstanding something here?..

Cheers,
Terry
[/quote]

Usually government bars and places have same prices. You are right that if it is more tourist area than prices can be different but lets say in Camaguey city all government owned places should have same prices that is why beer cost same in the store and in the bar.

Sorry, but you’re really losing me here… government owned bars/restaurants/nightclubs all over Cuba - including Camaguey - have HUGE differences in prices, same as anywhere. I don’t get your train of thought at all…

Cheers,
Terry

[quote=@cheersterry]Sorry, but you’re really losing me here… government owned bars/restaurants/nightclubs all over Cuba - including Camaguey - have HUGE differences in prices, same as anywhere. I don’t get your train of thought at all…

Cheers,
Terry[/quote]

You are right … it could be different prices between bars! I was under impression that it should be same price but I checked and I realized that you are right!