Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

How do you feel about cigarette smoking in Cuba?

I think because I was frankly outnumbered. :frowning: EVERYONE was smoking. The hotel was full of French Canadians and Russians. I was one lonely woman at the wrong hotel, probably the only non-smoker. I’m also pretty sure I didn’t see anyone with “authority” while I was there. I did mention it in my review, so maybe they’ll make some changes.

I only saw one sign that said “no smoking” and that was in the theatre. The lobby “rule” for smoking was to “ask first”. Ask who? Other customers? Management? Front desk?

Ugh.

BTW, I didn’t like the Barlovento. Can you tell? :wink:

desmei: I’m sorry you didn’t like the resort; that’s a bummer after looking forward to your holiday. I’ve only been to that area twice, but never to Barlovento, so I haven’t looked at their reviews. Cuba has tons of other places to explore and I’m sure that you will find one. Hope you continue to explore and find the perfect one for you. And I’m sure that you will. I’ll suggest going to southern Cuba.

Canuks: Most smokers do not trash the beach/pool/room, etc. Being so few of us, you are probably looking at employees or locals who needed an extra large ashtray not tourists unless they are all slobs (and we are not). I can understand your concerns; it certainly comes down to your rights versus their rights; sounds like a kids game, I was here first!! I’m not being critical, I’m just saying most smokers are that I know are very observant and wouldn’t even ask! They would excuse themselves and go elsewhere for a while.

You obviously know a higher class of smoker than I do!! :wink:

I would like to think that most people try to avoid doing things that make other people uncomfortable, but unfortunately when you are dealing with addiction it changes the game. Personally, if I found I was that dependent on anything, I would have to give it up for that reason alone! (other than breathing, I can’t think of a lot of things that can’t be postponed if they are causing grief to other people).

ya’ know… I have been on 3 star beaches and 5 star and the sand as an ashtray I have seen on both sadly. While I have the utmost respect for the smoker that is courteous both to others around and to the environment (not using beach as ashtray)…sadly I see less of the courteous smoker than the other

Maybe the more courteous smoker is less noticeable because they’re being more courteous. Of course the non-courteous will be the ones you see and remember.

Oh, sund0g, don’t get me wrong!! I had a GREAT vacation! It was truly a blast and I enjoyed it thoroughly; I’m very much a go with the flow sort of person. Being able to sleep at Barlovento and play at Kawama was a very good compromise for me. I just don’t think I’d purposely seek out a vacation at Barlovento, you know? :slight_smile: I would have liked it if the staff in the buffet was better. They were truly dismal, and I see it mentioned in other TA reviews, so I know it wasn’t just me. The difference between the waitstaff at the two resorts was jaw-dropping.

I have been to very few places in Cuba where it is not tolerated.
As desmei pointed out, I have to agree that smoking indoors is the norm in Cuba. Posted or not, smoking indoors is a regular occurrence that those adversely affected by the effects will have to consider before choosing a destination. Imagine NA in the 70’s. Every coffee table has an ashtray and the smoking section is at the back of the plane.

Many public places in Cuba still tolerate indoor smoking.

I am a non smoker. I have smoked the Cuban cigars on a couple of occasions in Cuba but much alcohol was involved…
I HATE it when people leave their cigarette butts on the beach or left in the plastic drink cups. Nothing worse than going for a walk on the beach and you get cigarette/cigar butts between your toes!!!
There should be many more garbages with the cigarette specific ones as well.
I AM TOTALLY AGAINST CIGARETTES/CIGARS WHERE THERE IS FOOD!

Totally agree, when going to beach and other public areas, picnic spots, camp grounds, we take a garbage bag and clean up the area around ourselves of all waste, cigarette butts etc and leave the site as if no one had used it. Not everyone has the same culture unfortunately.

I don’t think it’s a lack of garbage cans. I think it’s laziness/lack of respect. I just don’t understand why people don’t grab a plastic glass, fill it with sand and use that as an ashtray. Then, all they have to do is toss it in one of the garbage cans on their way from the beach. Geez, how hard can it be?

Quit smoking a gazillion years ago when I was young and restless (waitaminute, does this mean I’m old? :D)

Any ex-smoker can attest to how hypersensitive we are about smoke now. I feel for the smokers even though I have less patience for their smoke. That said, most smokers make the effort to be as reasonable as possible around us on the beach.

Now using the beach as an ashtray is a whole other can of frijoles! B-|I dunno, maybe it’s a cultural thing? At one AI in Varadero, a (non-Canadian) tourist came up to me and said “You don’t have to do this. The hotel has people to pick up after us.” SERIOUSLY? ??? What’s wrong with this picture?

I was raised to ‘pick up after yourself and leave the place like you found it’ (read clean), so even if I’m at a 5-star AI, and even if I do not smoke, I make it a point to take 5 minutes out of my “busy schedule” under the sun to make the rounds in my area and pick up litter, cig butts, straws etc. It’s MY way of giving back. I feel no embarassment or shame. It’s just the right thing to do (whether it’s me who does it or not).

Yes I have gotten funny stares from some but I’ve gotten mostly smiles and thank you’s… and even a couple of drinks from sympaticos too! (thank you thank you, I’ll be here all week) :sunglasses:

[quote=@desmei]I just got back and I have to say, I hated that people can and will smoke anywhere and everywhere. There was nowhere a non-smoker can escape, unless they hole up in their rooms. :frowning: Even waiting in line for a coffee in the lobby at Barlovento, people were smoking. Really?!

I seriously think that’s the only thing I don’t like about Cuba. I like the food, the drink, the people, the music…but not the smoke.[/quote]

I haven’t been to anywhere besides Cuba(all over) and the Bahamas in the past 3-4 years, but it has always been like that and is the norm. I know when I used to travel to the D.R. and Jamaica, I am pretty sure there were lots of smokers as well, but maybe that has changed in the 5 years or so I haven’t been down that way.

If your allowed to smoke anywhere and everywhere, people will. It’s like that anywhere and with everything in life.

It’s been a LONG time since I was anywhere, that people could smoke in a diningroom/buffet while eating though. Most people would have an issue with that, including myself.

But Cuba is defn a smokers paradise.

[quote=@monctonguy]

I haven’t been to anywhere besides Cuba(all over) and the Bahamas in the past 3-4 years, but it has always been like that and is the norm. I know when I used to travel to the D.R. and Jamaica, I am pretty sure there were lots of smokers as well, but maybe that has changed in the 5 years or so I haven’t been down that way.

If your allowed to smoke anywhere and everywhere, people will. It’s like that anywhere and with everything in life.

It’s been a LONG time since I was anywhere, that people could smoke in a diningroom/buffet while eating though. Most people would have an issue with that, including myself.

But Cuba is defn a smokers paradise.
[/quote]Mexico is starting to crack down on it. No more smoking in hotel rooms, and indoor bars are smoke-free. It’s nice. :slight_smile:

I don’t mind designated smoking areas, but when there are NO designated non-smoking areas, or non-smoking areas aren’t enforced it’s pretty nast. It shouldn’t be left up to non-smoking visitors to confront drunk, smoking Russians and French Canadians. :wink: I didn’t want to try out my travel insurance.

I also pick on the beach if need be. And I have actually offered a ‘sand-filled’ glass to a smoker who was flicking his butts on the beach…got a dirty look for that…so now, if I am sitting by a ‘butt litterbug’…I wait 'til they go for a swim or a drink…then I ‘sneak’ a sand-filled glass beside their chair where it is easy to see…usually they get the idea and I’m sure they sometimes think that the staff put it there.

I’m an addict, but in a perfect world there would be laws similar to what we have in Canada, people who are courteous and respectful of nonsmokers when they are outside, and people who pick up after themselves. I follow the above regardless of where I am and what the local regulations are. Going outside for a butt is so ingrained in me that I don’t even think about it and I wouldn’t want to be inside a bar or estaurant where it’s tolerated.

Tanlines, why not pick up all the butts and slip them into their beach bag, LOL

Spunky…to that end …my sister-in-law was in a parking lot and a guy waiting for someone tossed a butt out the window onto the parking lot. She picked it up and tossed it back to him and in a matter of fact kinda’ voice said…“oh you dropped this” …Maybe not the smartest thing to do but boy the thought of it makes me smile…

LOL Canuks, you made me think of that joke George Carlin used to tell:

The smoker smiles and asks the non-smoker “Do you mind if I smoke?” to which the non-smoker replies, with a smile:
“Do you mind if I f*art?” :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait a minute, maybe it was Steve Martin during his “wild and crazy” SNL skits? :s