Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

How do you socialize...?

My husband and I are sort of reserved ppl but I’m starting to change now. My question is: how do you socialize with other guests when you are on your own (not with a group of ppl)? What should start a conversation that is not too invasive? I’d like to get to know people at the resort because, honestly, I’m getting kind of tired of just being there and not talking to anybody. We don’t have children (we have cats, though…). :slight_smile:
I’m happy that at least this forum brings me to people with the same interest. I love this forum!
Help me!!!

My hubby is better at this than I am, but we meet people on every vacation. I think the best thing is to smile and be approachable. It’s easy enough to start conversation with the people around you on general topics. Have you been here before? Where are you from? Those sorts of things.
I find those people who are friendly, smile a lot and say hello all the time are the most approachable. I figure while away what do I have to loose? I will not see most of these people ever again so I use it as my opportunity to leave some of my reservations and hangups behind and be open and friendly.

I usually spill a drink on them at the beach and then apologize profusely … NOT.
Seriously, get involved with some of the poolside activities (even something as mundane as the Spanish lessons) and chat up the other participants. Or, while you are a lineup at the bar or waiting to get into one of the restaurants, smile and say “Hi, how are you today? Where are you from?”. If they’re interested, they’ll smile back and away you go. If not, try someone else!
Another good way is to go on one of the organized tours, say “Outback Safari”. At the end of the day you’ll know most of the people in the van/truck and when you see them again at the resort, you’ve got something in common to talk about.

That is the easy part of the vacation. All you have to do is strike up a conversation with someone while waiting to be served at the bar. There are lots of opportunities to get to know others, I love meeting people from other countries so I usually start with asking them where they are from. You will meet some of the people on your resort at the airport in your hometown and they will be on your bus. We met a wonderful couple from Holland last year just because we were trying to figure out where they were from by listening to them talk. We finally asked them and he smiled and asked in perfect English where did we think they were from. I told him my theory that we knew it wasn’t French, it sounded German but was too soft so I had come to the conclusion they were Dutch. He was thrilled that we had guessed right and for the whole rest of the trip he and his lovely wife sat at the umbrella next to ours on the beach and shared a drink with us each evening after dinner.

YES! And you’ve already got something in common to talk about. Those same people will probably be going back on the same plane with you too.

Thank you for your quick feedback. Was it a silly question? You guys make it sound so easy!!!
But when I’m there, I usually chicken out… I’m afraid some people won’t consider it appropriate to talk to strangers. But you know what? This year, I’m gonna try! We leave on the 19th of November. I’m determined.

Kat, no it wasn’t a silly question. A lot of people have trouble being outgoing. However, in this case, they’re on vacation and normally alone, so are usually more receptive. It might be harder to break into a group of 4 or 6 traveling together. Whatever happens, enjoy your Dominican experience.

I like to start on the plane going down there, or even in the airport…then compare notes on the way back with the people who went to other resorts but were on the same plane.

I strike up a little conversation under the palapa on the beach or pool. Usually ask the next door neighbour what a la carte restaurants they’ve tried…or whether they saw the night show. Usually everyone loves to give their opinion on the restaurant or show. When I see them the next day they usually always ask whether we went to the a la carte and whether we liked it. It’s a good ice breaker - usually leads to other topics.

I am kind of reserved myself but I get approached all the time everywhere I go and once someone knocks on my door things take off from there. :slight_smile:

[quote author=simka1974 board=general thread=1131644084 post=1131644084]My husband and I are sort of reserved ppl but I’m starting to change now. My question is: how do you socialize with other guests when you are on your own (not with a group of ppl)? What should start a conversation that is not too invasive? I’d like to get to know people at the resort because, honestly, I’m getting kind of tired of just being there and not talking to anybody. We don’t have children (we have cats, though…). :slight_smile:
I’m happy that at least this forum brings me to people with the same interest. I love this forum!
Help me!!![/quote]

Hi Kat…my wife and I could have written your post a coupla of years ago…right down to the "no kids, but cats(actually four cats and one dog for us)for the first few trips we went on. Once you break the ice, I find “most” people on vacation let their guard down about the third day and open themselves up to other people(alcohol sometimes helps… :sunglasses: ).

And…it’s funny what topics of conversation will open people up. My wife and I are big Coronation Street fans and once, while at the Riu Tropical Bay, I was sitting at the bar waiting for a drink when a fellow about 50 or so sidled up beside me and asked for a drink in a pronounced British accent. I said hello, he responded back, and I asked him if he was having someone tape “Corrie” for him while they were away. He looked a bit surprised, then burst out laughing, and told me “I’d would rather open a vein than watch that dribble”…but then he introduced me to his traveling companions(also Brits) and didn’t he and his buddy know all the characters and plot lines and so on. Of course, we in Canada are about 9 months behind them in episodes, so they knew what was going to happen before we will see it. I didn’t want to know, so, they just dropped some plot “teasers” in the course of the conversation.

Anyway…we had drinks with them most every night…good people and good company.

I do find however, that if people know you don’t have children, they kinda look at you funny…and that eliminates a big topic of conversation for some people.

buckybruce:

The same type of ice breaker happen with me in POP in 1998 and I struck up a conversation with a Brit fellow, similarly we talked and then out for dinner together for the evening, He had mentioned that he was very interested in Canada and could not perceive how big it was, so I invited him for a visit. Well 2 years passed and I received a phone call and was asked about the invitation, was it still open, “yes” and then he proceeded to tell me when they were coming and when I asked how long, he said 2 fortnights, I laughed and said OK send me the flight details via email. It wasn’t until about 15 minutes after the phone call I realized how bloody long a fortnight was, oh my God 2 fortnights, a frigging month. And let me tell you we had a wonderful time with them, they had a wonderful vacation here in Ontario. They couldn’t believe the 401 and how long it was, the size of the trucks, all the traffic in Toronto, how close we were to the USA and how easy it was to go to Detroit and Port Huron, how big Lake Erie was, they loved Niagara Falls and best of all he became a Tim Horton’s coffee lover.
Now I have to still reciprocate and head to the UK but he knows how busy I am going to the DR, so we keep in contact at least one a month via the telly.

And all over a simple Presidente!

Well I have the same problem striking up conversations is hard for me, but it comes so natural for my hubby. We usually met a few people on the bus ride to the hotel and we hang out by the pool or bar till our room is ready. Usually we have dinner with them and they met others and we go on from there. We met a few couples from Boston who liked our Redsox hats etc… Just remember there are others there that feel the same as you. So say hi, if they do not reply then say hi to the next person.

Two words for you Kat: Pool Bar!! ;D

Have fun!

Lyndsey

PS - I don’t think it was a silly question at all…I thought it was kinda nice, actually :slight_smile:

We usually wear a T-shirt or hat with our province on it…Or Just ask where they are from…Have no problem meeting strangers…My husband is usually Elvis at Karaoke and the next day his fans come and speak with us…Most people are friendly and will speak to you…we started off going with 4 people now it’s grown to 20…Meet people easily…and we were shy 9 years ago on first trip…

My husband is an ex-waiter/bartender and is the hit of any social scene we’re in (ask Lyndsey). I on the other hand can speak French and manage better in Spanish than he can, so we work as a team. We have met soooo many people, from soooo many places. All it takes is a smile. ;D ;D ;D ;D

This will be our 3rd trip to Punta Cana, but our first alone, we always traveled with 4 other couples. We are sooooooo looking forward to spending time with friends we haven’t met yet.
We plan to hang out at the lobby bar in the early evening, after dinner and say HI to as many people as we can…

EDinNB

EDin NB…we’ll ( 4 bluenosers ) be at the Majestic, March 18-25 …we’d love to have ya pull up a chair for a chat and a drink… or 2 or 3 … :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

We will be arriving around Midnite on the 20th… we will look for you in the lobby bar on our arrival :smiley:

EDinNB

EDin NB …sounds like a plan :smiley: