Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

How Much Cash Too Take?

We are travelinging to Grand Palladium Palace Resort & Spa in January. It is an all inclusive resort, but I am curious on how much cash a person should take for excursions, tipping, shoppping? Would $700 US be enough for a couple in our twenties who are planning to mainly relax and drink.

$700USD will be more than enough…When in January are you going?

$700 should be more than enough unless you will be gambling, doing heavy duty shopping or a lot of excursions. What you will need:

• $20 US / person departure tax
  • approx $60-$70 per person for a full day excursion
  • Tipping is at your discretion, but factor in tips for maid, waiters, bar tenders, groundskeepers etc.
  • approx $2/day for safety box rental
  • Souvenirs

Should be plenty but it really depends on what you are planning on doing . . .
I can give you a rough idea of what we spent last year (my husband 31 & myself 30).
Most of the day excursions will run you between $50-$85US per person. I paid $44 US to go Para sailing with my friend (so that is per person as well).
As for souvenirs . . .
Well, you can really barter with the locals on the beach but we still spent quite a bit. But, we bought jewelry, cigars, etc. Be prepared to spend $10-20 US on a shirt, etc.
The resort we stayed at (Riu Bambu) also had a photographer on-site taking pics of the guests every couple of days, with monkeys, etc. They sell these pics for $6 US. So, they can add up too!
Long story short, with no excursions (only para sailing) we managed to spend approx. $450US.

Oh, and don’t forget lots of $1’s for tipping!! Think we took 50 last year (plus care packages for our favorites) . . .

Well, hope this helps.
Enjoy your trip!! :wink:

thank you

Raynlea - what would be a good “care package” for the maid??

that’s way to much money. The first time you usually spend a lot, but not that much. You could actually go for a couple of hundred if money was tight. You need 20 US to get off the Island. Excursions are roughly 70 US each. I take 50 singles for tips. I have been to the DR a few times. I dont buy soveiners anymore. I could actually go with 100.00.

RE: care package. I usually put in school supplies for the maids kids. Candies, toothbrushes/paste. socks. I also treat the maid as well. Dish towels. Go to your local dollar store. I put in flip flops. Anything I use on a daily basis. Feminine hygeine products as well.

[quote author=kelba board=general thread=1136415599 post=1136423533]
RE: care package. I usually put in school supplies for the maids kids. Candies, toothbrushes/paste. socks. I also treat the maid as well. Dish towels. Go to your local dollar store. I put in flip flops. Anything I use on a daily basis. Feminine hygeine products as well. [/quote]

That’s excellent advice, especially the last one. They are VERY expensive down there.

Hi AbbyOh,
Just posted my reply, but, sent it to you as a personal message by mistake . . .
Sorry, I’m still new at this :-[

Hi There - this year was my first time to the DR (stayed at SuperClubs Breezes POP) and I took $300US - I was worried I didn’t have enough, turns out it was way too much! We did one full-day trip (catamaran)…it was $99US for the first person and $75US for the second, so we just added it up and halfed it ($87US each), another day we took the free shuttle from our resort into Sosua and spent approx. $60US on a few small paintings, wooden carvings, and a few odds and ends, and then we dropped by Checkpoint Bar for a couple of drinks and a sandwich, missed our free shuttle home so we shared an air-conditioned cab back to the resort - all that for approx. $60US (even after tipping). Then, another day we took the free shuttle to Cabarete and didn’t even spend $20US on a few other souvenirs and drinks. At the resort we left little gifts and gave a few tips. So, I still could’ve afforded another day trip or two - but it would have been way too jam packed to fit anymore into our 7 days, so now I have money left for my trip in April to the Coral Marien! (yes Mom & Dad I finally have learned the value of saving money! LOL) …Besides, the more money you bring the more you have worry about losing it or spending it all and wishing you hadn’t!

Leanne

Please don’t forget if you leave anything for the maid that you leave a note stating it is a gift for her as many of the resorts will not let their staff off of the property without that note. :sunglasses:

Bring 2 $20.00 US bills for the departure tax, 5 one dollar bills for tips and an extra 10 in case you have an emergency. Or…you can tip whomever simply does what his job mandates that he does. In that case bring some extra and know that you are giving the Dominican people a nice chuckle when they get home.

We usually take $400.00 american…some small bills and it does us for what we need. I take my visa just in case. Can’t wait to go. In the fall we close up our cottage and stay alive til xmas, then we stay alive until our trip, then we stay alive til we open our cottage. You gotta have something to live for! lol Take care and cheers…Raine

$700 :o Please don’t tell my wife…! Loves Domincan art and it cost me a small fortune last time - artist must have thought it was Christmas :-/. The framing costs were a nightmare when we got home as well.

My advise would be small bills to make it easier to tip and IMHO $700 is on the high side.