Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

How much does YOUR suitcase weigh - EMPTY?!

Well, we’re trying to figure out what to pack without going over the baggage limit (I think it’s 44 lbs). I have to pack for myself AND my baby - needless to say, I won’t be bringing as many clothes for myself as before… HOWEVER, this is what I found interesting…
my husband weighed my suitcase EMPTY - and it’s 20 lbs! Geez, that seems awful heavy - so I was wondering what yours weighs empty… perhaps a new suitcase is in order lol.
P.S. it’s an american tourister… larger size… bought at Costco years ago… great suitcase, nice & big to fit everything in :slight_smile:

I bought an Eddie Bauer lite suitcase two years ago. I think it weighs about 10 lbs. I used to stuff everything into a carry on before. That became impractical as I needed more space for my snorkeling fins and PFD. The Eddie Bauer was much larger than my carry on and weighed the same.

There seems to be a lot of choice now for lite suitcases. The industry is responding to the more stringent weight restrictions on planes.

My American Tourist is/was 15 lbs. so I went and got another daffle style bag thinking it would be lighter. I weighed it when I got home. Larger bag - same weight so back it went. I noticed the next time I went to the Bay they had a scale in the luggage area. I guess the staff were wise enough to offer the service instore

I just bought a set of Heys suitcases that are extremely light…the biggest 30" one is only 11 lbs and the smaller ones are even lighter. The weight was the factor that sold them for me. I am kicking myself because I almost bought a very similar set at Winners last year and would have saved a bunch of money. Definitely worth checking at your local Winners if you are interested in Heys.

Our good suitcases were also very heavy…21 lbs and 19 lbs each :o :o. I switched to inexpensive large duffles that weigh in at 5lbs each. Unfortunately, they are unwheeled and prove cumbersome to move around if you don’t have a cart :(. Also, all the dragging on the ground has worn areas that I’ve had to patch! We were in the Bay, the other day, and came across a large, wheeled duffle and the weight is 10 lbs but $99.00. Pricier than I wanted to pay but we’ve decided to buy one.

My suitcase weighs 10 lbs empty. When my son went to work in Alberta he took my suitcase and he was trying to take enough clothes with him so he wouldn’t have to do too much laundry. When he came back he wanted to take more stuff back with him like detergent and heavier clothing and they charged him. For Christmas we bought him one of those Eddie Bauer duffel bags on wheels that weighs nothing. He can cram everything he wants to take with him plus it is easier to grab off the luggage belt.

sounds like I may need to invest in some lighter luggage lol.

My dufflebag type roll suitcase with handle weighs just 5lb and has been on many trips with me. It is showing no signs of wear as of yet.

Freedom Ryder 8-)…

The best I have seen are Hockey Bags, yeah the big wheeled ones you see the kids going into the rinks with.
You can get a very large one at Canadian tire, with Team Canada splashed all over it for $70 on sale and it even comes with a large cooler bag that would make a decent carry on or be very usefull in Cuba to keep some beers cold on an excursion.
It weighs in at approx 12 lbs empty, because it has a beefy steel frame on the bottom.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443276737&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672251&bmUID=1232552239642&deptid=1408474396672192&ctgrid=1408474396672195&subctgrid=1408474396672251

You have to be careful to not buy too large of a duffle bag. Some of the airlines have size restrictions. I have two duffles with wheels. The smaller one is not much bigger than the largest carryon you are allowed in the cabin. I can fit all the clothes I need for a week in there plus my fins. I take my snorkle, mask and inflatable vest in my carryon. The other duffle bag is about a foot longer. Between the two bags we have room to spare.

I bought the larger one at Wal-Mart (around $20) and the smaller one in Thailand (needed something to bring all the stuff I bought home, lol). Both bags weigh less than 10 lbs empty each.

I was shocked when I realized that my suitcase that I’ve used for many trips to Cuba weighed 6.5 kilos. That’s a third of my luggage allowance. I bought a duffel bag with wheels that weighs 2.5 kilos for $30 from Bentley Leather. When my husband saw it he wanted one too and I was able to get his at a Boxing day sale for $20. As he says, one can take a whole bunch of extra t-shirts (gifts) with the 4 kilos that we’ve each gained.
I wish I had realized years ago how heavy my suitcase was.

Liquidation World had a sale on the Ultra Light luggage on Boxing Day with an additional 20% off their already discounted prices. I got the large 31" suitcase (1600 dernier) for just $39 and its 9 pounds. My “lightweight” American Tourister weighed in at 14 pounds. I also have a wheeled duffle bag I got at COSTCO a couple of years ago but on my trip last November, the top zipper came apart. Even though I it only weighed 42 pounds packed, the zipper couldn’t hold the bulk so I’m glad I got the ultra lightweight conventional suitcase .

[quote=@bmnichol]You have to be careful to not buy too large of a duffle bag. Some of the airlines have size restrictions. I have two duffles with wheels. The smaller one is not much bigger than the largest carryon you are allowed in the cabin. I can fit all the clothes I need for a week in there plus my fins. I take my snorkle, mask and inflatable vest in my carryon. The other duffle bag is about a foot longer. Between the two bags we have room to spare.

I bought the larger one at Wal-Mart (around $20) and the smaller one in Thailand (needed something to bring all the stuff I bought home, lol). Both bags weigh less than 10 lbs empty each. [/quote]

So true. I think my WestJet docs say 64 inches, which would be H+L+W (one side each, I guess).

Tom

I have a couple of bomb proof North Face duffel bags. Expensive, but absolutely indestructible (lifetime guarantee) and waterproof as well. At 90 litres each they have loads of room, but they’re not so big that they’re too much of a hassle. Best of all they weigh just under 4 lbs.

I also considered changing suitcases when I weighed my old 26" hard sided Samsonite at 10lb, then discovered even the lightweigh Heys were 10 lb. So I think I’ll just keep my Samsonite as it protects ALL even those extra bottles of rum that you can’t put in your carry on anymore. And the way I’ve seen my luggage get treated over the years I trust my Samsonite!!!

Yikes … please tell me of what you speak! ??? Why can’t bottles be put in carry-on … since when? :o

[quote=@shirleyujest] :)The liquids in your carry-on are supposed to be no larger than 100ml.
You can’t carry bottles of liquor in your carry on if you haven’t purchased them throught the duty-free at the airport. *[/quote]

Coming from Cuba, I purchase my rum at the duty free in the departures area and put it in my carry-on with no problem. (Cuba does not adhere to the 100ml size as Canada does. :wink: ) Putting it in checked baggage increases the weight considerably.

Placing the loot bag under your seat is a good reminder!

Actually, to be a little more accurate regarding Cuban airport regulations specifically, Cuban security has never recognized the 100ml limit for liquids that’s now standard throughout much of the world so they don’t care how many bottles you have in your carry-on when you’re leaving Cuba.

You do not have to purchase them at the duty free, you can buy them anywhere and breeze straight through security screening at the airport. (Of course you better not have a connecting flight after you leave Cuba…)

I have to agree with jethro. I can’t beat my hockey bag. I had packed a suitcase each one year for my hubby and I. We were way over weight. I got a hockey bag and it fit both suitcases worth of things… plus was far far from being over my weight limit.

I pay attention to the size restrictions as well. I pack then measure … sometimes squish them down with luggage straps to make sure. They don’t look so full that way either so they get put through no problem.

I got a great hockey bag this year at Costco for my father in law for $40.00 … can’t beat that price.

and yes they have wheels so they are easy to handle.

[quote]You can’t carry bottles of liquor in your carry on if you haven’t purchased them throught the duty-free at the airport.
[/quote]

Since when?
This may be true when traveling anywhere, except Cuba.
;D